Sideslipping or Approach Method

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz House's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Sideslipping or Approach Method

This is an example as something called sideslipping. There is also a video of Kenny Garrett playing an incredible side slipping solo with Miles Davis. However, I could not find it.

I love the way that fusion players can escape from the key and form these wonderful chromatic melodies.

I already know how you can substitute different chords and scales and infer harmonies in playing. I have been working on this quite a bit.

I wanted to know about sideslipping and if there is any theory behind it. It's something that really interests me and I could get into a lot.

I asked my teacher about it and he can't explain it. It's one of the only things he does without knowing why they work. He can sideslip really well, but doesn't know if there is even any theory behind it. A local monster pianist once asked him how he did it and he couldn't explain how. I really want to learn more about it.

I can do some basic escaping the key through sideslipping, but it's quite limited.

I guess that what I am trying to say is this:

Is there theory behind sideslipping or is it one of those things that you just pick up by ear? Can anyone help me out.

Thanks.
    Soprano: Yanagisawa S-880, Stock Yani #5,#3S | Tenor: Buescher Aristocrat Series 1, Mark Spencer, #2.5 Java Red
    Index of Common Questions!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sideslipping or Approach Method

I cant get the link to work, though I am interested.
    "Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself." •Miles Davis
    “Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody else.” •Judy Garland

www.stevenbollman.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a link to a video with sideslipping. Bob Berg effortlessly leaves the key. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWtzBsdiTs

And here is the Kenny Garrett I was looking for. Finally!!! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4v...one-solo_music
    Soprano: Yanagisawa S-880, Stock Yani #5,#3S | Tenor: Buescher Aristocrat Series 1, Mark Spencer, #2.5 Java Red

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz House View Post
    Here is a link to a video with sideslipping. Bob Berg effortlessly leaves the key. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWtzBsdiTs

And here is the Kenny Garrett I was looking for. Finally!!! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4v...one-solo_music
    Those are long solos. It would really help if you could give a mark for time mark for where it occurs so we know exactly what you are talking about. There are all sorts of variations of this when taking a line outside. Different players use different techniques and approaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kenny Garrett 2:40 - 2:50, 3:00 - 3:07, 4:00- 4:11, 4:13 - 4:18, It happens more that in just those occasions, but it's hard to find because Kenny disguises them so well.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kenny Garrett 2:40 - 2:50, 3:00 - 3:07, 4:00- 4:11, 4:13 - 4:18, It happens more that in just those occasions, but it's hard to find because Kenny disguises them so well.
    Yeah, slideslipping is all he does in this video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Berg 50 - 1:00, 1:15 - 1:20, 1:24- 1:30, 156: 2:01, 2:40 - 2:43, 3:48 - 3:50,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THese are just a few occasions in which this sideslipping occurs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTnKv...eature=related Herbie Hancock and Bill Evans Chameleon

This is ridiculous: 1:26 - 1:42,

Official Spender of Too Much Time on SOTW/P. Mauriat Fanatic jmoen3's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, its not on the key/chord, but it sounds great when they do it. Interesting! I'd like to know how this is done too, but shouldn't attempt it until I can play fluently over chord changes eh .
    P. Mauriat 67R DK Alto and CE Winds S/A/T
    Drake NY Jazz 7 Alto, Yani HR 7 Soprano and Jody Jazz ESP .120 Tenor
    My Soundclick Recordings
    -Jared

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kirk Whalum does this A LOT when he plays and it's so simple and effective. When he's taking a funky or bluesy-type feel solo he'll sidestep up or down a half-step and bring it back into the main tonal center...cool stuff. Some players sidestep and STAY out of the tonal center for longer...but most all bring it back home sooner or later...Kirk is fast about coming home to the tonal center and someone like Kenny Garret is slower to come back home...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So they just play a phrase and move it around? Surely there is a bit more to it.

How can they set up notes like an E natural and hold it so that it sounds good all over a Cmin7 chord? How do they do it? How can you set that up?

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...it's a lot of intuition and feel but generally people use this technique as flirting with tension and resolution... so in your example...an E in C minor is quite dissonant and when you finally resolve it to the Eb...you get that..."ahhh" feeling... sidestepping is just a matter of setting up those dissonance and resolutions for effect... Try doing it in a modal tune where there are very few chords...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.crbond.com/jazz_notes.htm

Here is a little something I found. I read it and it is quite informative, but it doesn't really cover much of what I want to know.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jerry Coker discusses this in some of his books. Google: jerry coker side slip
    FS: Many Alto Saxophone Mouthpieces

FS: Tenor Mouthpieces

Q: After all these years, what do you practice?
    Sonny Rollins: Everything — but in no particular order.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmoen3 View Post
    yeah, its not on the key/chord, but it sounds great when they do it. Interesting! I'd like to know how this is done too, but shouldn't attempt it until I can play fluently over chord changes eh .
    There are precious few changes in a tune like Chameleon, though.

I don't do much sidestepping, except when practicing, but my understanding is it is mostly a matter of playing a phrase, then repeating the same phrase up or down a half step, temporarily moving into a separate key. It's dissonant for the moment, but because you are mirroring the phrase and then eventually bringing it back to the original key, it doesn't sound 'wrong' (to some people it might). In the clips above I think there are also some other things going on, though. Maybe some whole tone scales or diminished sounds? Whole tone and diminished scales 'fit' more than one key or tonic center so can be pretty flexible and ambiguous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.crbond.com/jazz_notes.htm

Here is a little something I found. I read it and it is quite informative, but it doesn't really cover much of what I want to know.
    May I suggest trying to transcribe or "lift" some short examples for your own study? If something like this catches your ear that much, then transcribing is the quickest way for you to figure out how Garrett and/or Berg did it. It could just be a short 10-second phrase like some of the examples you note in this thread. I think it would give you loads more insight than reading about it.
    Comparison is the thief of joy.
    Check out my latest CD HERE
    Visit my new website HERE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matero: Great idea!

I did suspect that there might be something else going on in the other videos though.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These cannot be all categorized as one thing. Yes in each case they are taking the lines outside the key center but each example is using different approaches to doing this. I cover many of these with lessons on my site. It's stuff like simple chromaticism, 3 tonic lines, pentatonic alterations and substitutions.............it can be as easy as just playing a lick you have down cold that has nothing to do with the key and then resolving it correctly into the key.

Forum Contributor 2007-2015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marc Sabatella also discusses sideslipping in his book A Whole Approach To Jazz (p 49). This is the best brief introduction to the theory and practical aspects of jazz that I have run across. There is an online version which makes most of the content available for free, but lacks the typeset musical examples. The online version discusses sideslipping here.
    Find your passion and be hardcore about it.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast