The piano?
The french horn?
The english horn?
The trumpet?
The Trombone?
The tuba?
Or Other?

#148 ·
Don't know if I posted this before, but the bagpipes are one, especially if the jerk playing it is wearing a kilt and doing amazing grace over and over again ad nauseum. However, my truly least favorite one, the instrument that would best be used to start bonfires with, is the gralla, a traditional Catalan oboe like double reed instrument that is very short and has a frequency high enough to burst your eyeballs. Horrific, particularly when played in a group during any one of the many town festivals around here.

And if that didn't burst your eardrums try this....skip ahead to 5:40 for a song that maximises this instrument to its fullest glorious sonic potential. NOTE: Not responsible for ear or brain damage due to listening to this recording.

#150 ·
Don't know if I posted this before, but the bagpipes are one, especially if the jerk playing it is wearing a kilt and doing amazing grace over and over again ad nauseum.
And, being diatonic, always in Bb.
Technically, the Scottish bagpipes are not an instrument....but a weapon, the sound being tuned to put fear in the enemy.....therefore, playing it should qualify as a War Crime.

#151 ·
The one with the worst player.

#160 ·
Cowbell. Definitely cowbell.
These two one after the other just made my morning. I can't stop laughing watching that bass clarinet player wince involuntarily while the horn player covers his ear. All it would take is a gif of Christopher Walken saying more cowbell and I would fall out howling.

#164 ·
The guitar. Yes, it is an extremely versatile instrument which sounds wonderful....my problem is that they are so universal. I'm tired of seeing bands which consist of drums and four or five guitars. Use some imagination...diversify!

#171 ·
The trombone. I avoid using the instrument in my writing. I just don't like it and I have listened to all the greats on the instrument in all genres. If I'm putting a horn section together my first three horns are tenor , baritone and a good trumpet . In my neck of the woods the bone seems to attract the a...holes but on a musical front I don't like brass heavy horn sections.

I like the pipes myself but prefer the Northumbrian Pipes. Rufus Harley played pretty well. The highland pipes were designed for war and to be heard over heavy gunfire.

#172 ·
Nine pages and only one vote for ukelele, and two for banjo? I can like anything played well and tastefully, but too many bad uke and banjo players out there, happily beating and picking out of tune, out of time - I cringe when I see them, but relieved when a player emerges...1 out of 10 times.....

Looks like bagpipes are the front runner.

#177 ·
The twanger, a descendant of the steel guitar used in pop-country to do one thing: a single long note that goes twang.

#191 ·
It's not the instrument anymore than it is with a sax or guitar. It's the player. Good harp players don't need to do that. There are a couple of great ones here and they don't need to over-amp to be good. It's what and how they play not how loud. They don't play endlessly like the bad ones you are referring to who never want to shut up. I jammed with a guy like that a couple of years ago and learned really quickly to avoid being on stage with him. He played throughout every tune in its entirety as if they were all really just his solos. He wouldn't trade lines with me or anyone else like good harp players do and he given the sonoral qualities of a unsubtly played harp he was about as interesting to listen to as someone reading the baseball statistics through a kazoo. I tried to solo and I could barely get 8 bars in before he wanted to jump back in and take over again. And it wasn't his gig either, he was just another jammer like anyone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.