2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best Bari Sax players

Paul - Thanks for the heads up. It should be OK now as I deleted all of the sent ones.
    “You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Plas?
    Here one a fellow SOTW member sent me of Plas Johnson on Bari.
    Sounds like it could easily have been his main instrument.
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fabulous! Exactly how you would expect Plas to sound on bari.

Everyone has surely heard this, but it's his birthday!

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Birthday King Leo.
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just helped on the liner notes for a new Lars Gullin release, featuring Lee Konitz taking a couple solos on Bari!
    Check it out: http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/lee...-sessions.html

Lars had a great sound.
    Jon De Lucia - - - Saxophones, Clarinets, Flutes
    Buy my new book of Sax exercises from J.S. Bach at bachshapes.com
    As The River Sings is out on Fresh Sound New Talent April 5: www.jondelucia.com/shop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget Andrew Hadro, one of the best in NYC right now among the young cats. Here he is with my group last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBEXboW7Sfg
    As The River Sings is out on Fresh Sound New Talent April 5: www.jondelucia.com/shop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cecil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Peter Gullin, son of the great Lars Gullin

Last edited by Bob M; 04-27-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    “You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Bob! I didn't know that Lars' son was such a musician. Great sound and also a very personal approach to improve, I think.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BH9 View Post
    Thanks Bob! I didn't know that Lars' son was such a musician. Great sound and also a very personal approach to improve, I think.

I heard him live playing on a street corner in Copenhagen during the annual jazz festival many years ago, so long that it seems like a different life. He just stood there and played wonderfully. However, it was not a pretty sight, as he obviously wasn't doing well. Not too long after, he was dead at age 44. He had a hard life.

BTW, this is a wonderful thread. I have listened and learned a lot of new names thanks to the great contributions. Much appreciated!
    Forum contributor 2007-2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lately, I have been listening to a lot of Lars Gullin, which has lead me to some really good "finds". Fredrik Lundin, mainly known as a tenor player, has a Lars Gullin tribute quintet with altoist Christina von Bulow called "Silhouette". Here is a link to a youtube video of the title track:

From pictures which I have found, he appears to be playing a Buescher TrueTone bari and possibly a Berg mouthpiece. Lundin has a great sound on baritone, clearly influenced by Gullin.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
    Lately, I have been listening to a lot of Lars Gullin, which has lead me to some really good "finds". Fredrik Lundin, mainly known as a tenor player, has a Lars Gullin tribute quintet with altoist Christina von Bulow called "Silhouette".

From pictures which I have found, he appears to be playing a Buescher TrueTone bari and possibly a Berg mouthpiece. Lundin has a great sound on baritone, clearly influenced by Gullin.
    Frederick Lundin is mainly a tenor player as you state and recently also turned unto the G mezzo soprano. He is very much his own and started playing professionally at a very young age. I have seen and heard him at the Copenhagen Jazz festival when he was 18 or so doing his own thing, which pretty much defines him, uncompromisingly oblivious to the financial aspect. A True Tone Bari seems plausible probably because it has great sound and moneys were a likely concern. That won't hold him back. On tenor he's played a MKVII for decades and Denmark is even more MKVI asphyxiated than the US. Frederick Lundin is a great composer and had a hit of sorts by jazz standards with the album "Choose your Boots", which I wholeheartedly recommend.
    Last edited by brasscane; 05-09-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    Forum contributor 2007-2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brasscane View Post
    Frederick Lundin is mainly a tenor player as you state and recently also turned unto the G mezzo soprano. He is very much his own and started playing professionally at a very young age. I have seen and heard him at the Copenhagen Jazz festival when he was 18 or so doing his own thing, which pretty much defines him, uncompromisingly oblivious to the financial aspect. A True Tone Bari seems plausible probably because it has great sound and moneys were a likely concern. That won't hold him back. On tenor he's played a MKVII for decades and Denmark is even more MKVI asphyxiated than the US. Frederick Lundin is a great composer and had a hit of sorts by jazz standards with the album "Choose your Boots", which I wholeheartedly recommended.
    Yesterday, I found an interview with Lundin, probably related to "Silhouette" in which he mentions using an "Elkhart" baritone. Both Buescher and Conn stenciled horns under that brand, although I think it was ultimately acquired by Buescher. Based on pictures, Lundin's horn is clearly a True Tone stencil.

brasscane - Thanks for the color. I'll definitely check out some of Lundin's other recordings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jondelucia View Post
    Don't forget Andrew Hadro, one of the best in NYC right now among the young cats. Here he is with my group last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBEXboW7Sfg
    Speaking of Andrew Hadro, check out his playing along with Lee Konitz's solo on "I'll Remember April"..... in the same octave!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes he blew me away when he sent out that one!

Speaking of Andrew Hadro, check out his playing along with Lee Konitz's solo on "I'll Remember April"..... in the same octave!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the Paul Williams YouTube clip I posted a few pages back has got lost in translation, so here's another one :

There’s a wicked wind still blowing on that upper deck; There’s an iron cross still hanging from around her neck;
    There’s a marching band still playing in that vacant lot, Where she held me in her arms one time and said, “Forget me not.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Nedzela quartet Live at Dizzy's ....over 2 hours of great bari playing (and some alto too) from the guy who succeeded Joe Temperley in the JLCO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Nedzela quartet Live at Dizzy's ....over 2 hours of great bari playing (and some alto too) from the guy who succeeded Joe Temperley in the JLCO

Crazy how lush his sound is on bari - really amazing. I don't know whether that's the room, the way he's being recorded or if he always sounds like that but it makes me want to either practice until my lips bleed or just give up and sell my horns straight-away. Why hasn't this guy recorded an album of his own??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy how lush his sound is on bari - really amazing. I don't know whether that's the room, the way he's being recorded or if he always sounds like that but it makes me want to either practice until my lips bleed or just give up and sell my horns straight-away. Why hasn't this guy recorded an album of his own??
    No kidding! I love the way he plays. I guess studying with Gary Smulyan, Roger Rosenberg and JOE TEMPERLEY paid off. I just got tickets to see the JLCO in Cranston, RI in October and can't wait to hear Nedzela in person.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast