Sax on the Web Forum banner

Is JK CX90 good for classical playing?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dannel 
#1 ·
Does anyone tries CX90 and is it good for classical playing? Any comparison among Yamaha 875EX, Selmer Series II, III, etc. Thanks.

#2 ·
I am a big Keilwerth fan. I play an SX90 soprano, alto, and tenor and they have worked really well for me for classical and jazz playing. Keilwerth horns are by far my favorite;I like them more than Selmers and way more than Yamahas (but that is just my opinion). However, I have not played the CX90's but I have heard that they are really good horns. Keilwerth horns are very different than the Yamaha and Selmer horns. Not better just different.

If it helps, I have found that the Vandoren V5 mouthpieces work as great classical setups with Keliwerth horns. I have an A27 alto piece and an S27 soprano piece that work quite well with my horns.

Maybe try some CX90's and SX90's along with some Selmers and Yamahas.

Chris

#3 ·
They're really good horns. Of the big 4 modern horns, I think they are the darkest horns out there, but you sacrifice a bit in projection. I tried a CX90 and other than a few keywork differences, there wasn't that much difference between the CX-90 and the SX-90. They are excellent horns, and I agree that Vandoren mouthpieces are a good match with them. I played an SX-90R tenor for classical work for 12 years and loved the sound I got from it.

#4 ·
The projection issue of the Keilwerth is hugely dependent on the type of mouthpiece you use. Keilwerth projects the most for me(of the current "big 4"). From my understanding, I thought the CX-90 was just a buffet horn since the companies merged. I wanted to try one a while ago, but then someone that had a buffet showed me their horn and said that he tried the CX90 and it was basically the same thing. *shrug*

#6 ·
They're the same horn. Keilwerth used to make the horns for Buffet when they were both part of Boosey and Hawkes, but now that they're owned by separate interests, the CX-90 horns that were labeled with the Buffet name are no longer made.

I agree with the people saying that the projection isn't a big issue. I never once had that issue, but every time I mention "Keilwerth" and "classical", someone brings it up. (I thought that I'd make a preemptive strike.)

Dannel is the classical Keilwerth king, BTW.

#5 ·
I don't know how much projection one needs. In the past, I played a solo on my JK SX 90R (Piazollo's "Oblivion", not classical but requiring the same kind of sensitivity and projection) with concert band accompainment, unamplified, and filled a large hall.

#8 ·
LOL. I was serious. Didn't you do your bachelors and masters playing Keilwerth horns?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.