Sax on the Web Forum banner

Notational Uncertainties Project

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Jordan Smith 
#1 ·
Hey everyone... This is completely LAST minute but thought you may be able to offer some help.

I am doing a project on notational issues within our concert saxophone rep, as far as misprints among various editions of the same piece, published works with contemporary notation that does not have a key or introduction explaining exactly how to perform the techniques called for, etc.

I've already encountered things that I could use for the project, such as various editions of the Demersseman Fantaisie in which the written music varies from one to the next, various editions of the Grundman concertante, notational errors (including mismarked repeats, accidentals, incorrect rhythms) in the Worley Claremont Concerto, older editions of the Creston sonata, required traditional knowledge of Japanese music in able to accurately perform the Noda Improvisations etc. Anything that is flat out confusing or contradictory or would require knowledge of performance practice for a specific work will help. The presentation is for a class and needs to be about 30 minutes long, so major issues would be great that could be explored in great detail, however, anything would help. Again, I could get by with what I have, yet I could always expand upon topics with anything you all may provide.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Look into the Ibert Concertino and the Dahl Concerto. Both have had vast changes and reprints since their original creations. Paul Cohen's dissertation was on the Dahl, and one of his students did a huge research project on the ibert, so contact him for info.

#3 ·
These are a few I can think of off the top of my head:

- Badings "La Malinconia" - the 8va section in some of the editions is incorrect.
- Glazunov - Older editions of the Leduc score contain incorrect expressive markings.
Also, the Glazunov situation will change again once the Baerenreiter score comes out.
- Dankner Sonata - Incorrect dynamic and tempo markings on the published score.

That sounds like a very useful project. Any chance it could find its way to the internet (maybe a Wiki site)???

#4 ·
Are you going to extend this to transcriptions vs. the original piece?

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions thus far! I will definitely check my score and parts for the mentioned misprints in the Dankner and the Badings!

A friend at school suggested the Debussy "Rhapsodie"... why I had not thought of that one yet is beyond me. ha, so it will definitely be included in the project.

I would like to stay focused on original works that include the saxophone and stay away from transcriptions for now. Thanks though! :)

#6 ·
Great idea for a project! The Debussy Rhapsodie would be tough since there is no version that is by Debussy...there are lots of differences in the different versions...that could be a project unto itself!

I was just curious about the transcriptions...that could be impossible.

#8 ·
Actually just to clarify, the Debussy Rhapsodie IS by Debussy. It does have a misunderstood and somewhat convoluted past. For all the information on this, go to James Noyes' website, he has all of the research in PDF form there.

#7 ·
There's a great dissertation by Roland Davis Dowdy III, looking into the Villa-Lobos Fantasia. Most interesting is the decision to lower it a whole step and the ensuing transposition errors. If nothing else, check it out for the errata.

#11 ·
It may possibly work itselft into a larger undertaking that could lead to a dissertation, though not necessarily on these specific works listed so far. I have a few other ideas in the works for my dissertation though. But i've still got a good year before I need to submit my proposal. ha.

#12 ·
One more notational question for ya'all. Does anybody know if the altissimo at the end of Noda's Improv 3 was originally there? Or was it added in later by request of another saxophonist?

Also, does anyone know an email address for Ryo Noda? I've got a few questions to ask. thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.