Sax on the Web Forum banner

Lyon and Healy Artist Model Perfect Curved Soprano

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  LaPorte 
#1 ·
Saxpics.com states that the L&H Perfect Artitst Curved (semi-curved) soprano was first manufactured by Holton, then later made by Martin. None of the pictures I've seen bare any resemblance to being Martin-made other than the bevelled toneholes. Does anyone know the history behind this rare soprano? Anyone on the forum have one or know someone who does?

Here's the link to saxpics.com: http://saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=89

Thanks!

#2 ·
The 'Perfect Curved Soprano' is a Couturier designed saxophone made by Lyon & Healy 1925/1926 in LaPorte. It was also branded as 'American Professional' (sercond line) and 'American Artist' (a common stencil brand) sometimes interchanged with the 'Artist Model' (not written on the horn), the name of Lyon & Healy's first line.

http://drrick.com/conn-o-sax.html

It will be detailed covered after contributing the 'Inspiration' and 'Couturier Model' (1923/1924) in the thread 'Couturier saxophones'. Yes, I know someone who has one and he has sent me very good photos of it. I am allowed to show them here.

Please bear with me that I want to comply with the chronology, I suppose the 'Perfect Curved Soprano' will be treated in march 2010.

Felix

#3 ·
It was also branded as 'American Professional' (see the link) and 'American Artist' (second line) sometimes interchanged with the 'Artist Model' (not written on the horn), the name of Lyon & Healy's first line.
Trivia: Lyon & Healy also had the second line name "American Conservatory". I'm not sure if this name was ever stenciled on saxophones, but L&H certainly used this on their stringed instruments.

#9 ·
Lyon&Healy saxophones (those with the bevelled toneholes) were built by the E.A. Couturier Band Instrument Company in LaPorte, IND which became a Lyon&Healy plant 1924. They were designed by Ernst Albert Couturier, the president of the company who manufactured saxophones since 1922. 1928 the manufacturing facility was sold to Holton who continued building 'Couturier'-saxophones for L&H until 1930.

Detailed explanation about saxophone manufacturing by Lyon & Healy will soon follow within the 'Couturier/Lyon & Healy'subforum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.