Sax on the Web Forum banner

Ibico, Couturier, or what?

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  LaPorte 
#1 ·
Can anyone identify this alto?

http://www.saxalley.com/york-alto-saxophone-93-000.html

I know it is not a real York, and my best guess is that it's made by Indiana Band Instruments of Grand Rapids, based on a similar one I once played that had the same thick, soldered, tone holes, the earlobe-shaped low C key, and the scalloped G# lever. I cannot tell from the pictures whether the tone holes are beveled or not, which would help in identifying Ibico or Couturier.

I am thinking about making an offer, but if someone reading this feels compelled, I encourage them to buy it.

#3 ·
There is an amazing close-up view feature. Click twice on the magnifying circle, and the picture blows up huge. You can plainly see the thick-walled, soldered-on tone holes, which is Holton style. Note the transitional nature of the palm keys: D and F keys have the bumper feet, the Eb uses the old post bumper, stopping on the F key post. The high F key seems to have two big whoopees (clearance bends) in it.

Has anyone ever explained how to identify an Ibico? I remember one having beveled tone holes, a'la Couturier.

#7 ·
Has anyone ever explained how to identify an Ibico? I remember one having beveled tone holes, a'la Couturier.
Prior to being purchased by Martin, the Indiana Band Instrument Company manufactured only brasswinds. IBICo stencilled saxophones, mainly from Martin but Buescher stencils have been spotted, too.

IBICO, Elkhart, Indiana (not Michigan) was a subsidiary of Martin. "In 1928, Martin acquired controlling interest in The Indiana Band Instrument Company, which operated as a separate company until 1942, when it moved under the flag of Martin to become the producer of student line instruments, .." themartinstory.net.
Due to statements like the one above, some have speculated that Martin moved their second-line manufacturing to the IBICo factory. In any case, the second-line saxes were made with Martin tooling.

#4 ·
Can anyone identify this alto?

http://www.saxalley.com/york-alto-saxophone-93-000.html

I know it is not a real York, and my best guess is that it's made by Indiana Band Instruments of Grand Rapids, based on a similar one I once played that had the same thick, soldered, tone holes, the earlobe-shaped low C key, and the scalloped G# lever. I cannot tell from the pictures whether the tone holes are beveled or not, which would help in identifying Ibico or Couturier.
The Grand Rapids Band Instrument Company (Grand Rapids, Michigan) was a subsidiary of York.

IBICO, Elkhart, Indiana (not Michigan) was a subsidiary of Martin. "In 1928, Martin acquired controlling interest in The Indiana Band Instrument Company, which operated as a separate company until 1942, when it moved under the flag of Martin to become the producer of student line instruments, .." themartinstory.net.

That alto saxophone SN #93,xxx is no Conn, no IBICO, no Couturier, no Holton, it's pure York made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

My York alto (same model) has #94,xxx. The non-bevelled toneholes look like Holton, but are different. According to a York patent of the late twenties the base of the toneholes is folded - only visible if you look inside the horn.

Felix

#6 ·
My York alto (same model) has #94,xxx. The non-bevelled toneholes look like Holton, but are different. According to a York patent of the late twenties the base of the toneholes is folded - only visible if you look inside the horn.

Felix
Felix, how would you rate your 94xxx York alto? Is yours playable, if so, how's the quality, tuning, ease of keywork, strengths and weaknesses?
Thanks, Walter

#10 ·
I'm sorry for mis-remembering. :scratch: :idea: :oops:

#12 ·
SN #93,xxx is approximately 1928.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.