Sax on the Web Forum banner

Concertino Da Camera (college audition)

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  J.Max 
#1 ·
Hey guys i am playing this in late febuary and wanted to have it memorized
i've been przcticing it slowly then performance tempo and for the most part i can play it off paper but am having issues with those jumps like the two between 0:41-0:43 or the one at 00:58 and especially 2:09
is it a certain why i should tongue it, or just muscle memorization? if so how should i practice those section?

thanks in advance, Jay

#3 ·
sorry i assumed no one would wanna get there music out ;)
the fourth bar of No.2 the second and fourth bars of No.3 and the third and fifth bars of No.8

#6 ·
my brain is obviously not working today,
i meant to attach this yout ube clip with those specific times

i only have the recording of Eugene rousseau

#7 ·
Many, many, many, many, many slow repetitions until you have it under your memory. One thing I do is, in this case, group everything into groups of 4 and practice the entire run slowly. So since it's all straight 16th notes, you start at the beginning, play the first four notes, then go back to the 2nd note of the set. From there, play the next 4 notes. This causes you to overlap and repeatedly practice all of the intervals. Here's how it would look (somewhat):

| 1 e & a | e & a 2 | &(of 1) a 2 e | a 2 e & | 2 e & a | etc.

Hopefully this makes sense. It's a good way to work out tough passages. Just don't worry about speed until the notes are comfortably under your fingers.

#8 ·
I think everyone needs Delangle's recording of Ibert (CD "Under the Sign of the Sun"). If you can find it, Deffayet's is also great.

Other notables for this work (off the top of my head and in my own opinion) include:

Arno Bornkamp CD "The Classical Saxophone"
Jean-Yves Fourmeau CD "Soliste"
Gary Louie CD "Ibert: Oeuvres Variées"
Nobuya Sugawa CD "Saxophone Concertos"

Don't listen to just any recordings. Only listen to the greatest in your opinion that you can find. Cast a wide net.

Let me know if you have any trouble finding anything, and happy listening.

#9 ·
And a suggestion that in addition to your Ibert practicing, you might consider logging a 1-1.5 hr scales/intervals/arpeggios session each day. Full range, all tempos under your control, varied articulations, with metronome and Tuning CD blaring simultaneously over your stereo speakers.

#10 ·
Just out of curiosity, what else are you playing? Have you studied any other works? The reason I ask is this: I've often seen too many young players jump headlong into a piece that is conceptually far beyond their comprehension and skill. I myself was once one of those players, and I'd hate to see that happen to you, especially at a college audition. SMR probably said it best: "We must tackle the sonatas first before we tackle the concertos." (or something to that effect)

#12 ·
I agree with this. And especially with the Ibert...it is THE staple of our repertoire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.