Sax on the Web Forum banner

Please help identify this lyon and healy...

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Poltergiest916 
#1 ·
#7 ·
It looks like a C Melody to me, with that small diameter bell rim, but pictures can be deceiving. The F palm key seems long for a C mel. If it's a Bb tenor, the price is OK. If it's in C, you overpaid by $50 - 100, IMHO. Looking from the left side, I see some serious neck pull-down, with a kink in the metal. Again, if not for that vintage metal mpc, this would have been a sleepy auction item.

#8 ·
The F palm key seems long for a C mel.
On a C melody, the high F tone hole is right up against the neck receiver. For tenors, like this one, it's a bit lower. Also, Buescher tenors have the spoon alternative F#, whereas Buescher C melody saxophones have the wrap around style with the tone hole above the right thumb hook. That later point isn't 100% guaranteed, as the post 200K Buescher C melody saxophones also had the spoon alternative F#. However, C melody stencil saxophones aren't really that common to begin with. Furthermore, it just wouldn't really fit the timeline to have a stenciled C melody based on such a later model design; given that stencils are usually made from older designs and by that time the C melody was on its way out. But the former point, the location of the high F tone hole, is a much better indicator.

#9 ·
I didnt know that the goldbeck mouthpieces were worth all that much? I assume they play a lot better than the price that you can get one for indicates. Either way I have the option of returning it if it doesnt do it for me. Thats why I bid so high. It seems that at worst I can return it and only be out around $30.00 if this thing sucks. How much would you really expect to pay for a mouthpiece like that? I have seen them for around only $80.00. I think there is two different stamped models that share most of the same attributes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.