Sax on the Web Forum banner

Image projections for chamber music recital

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ian Stewart 
#1 ·
I may be involved in a classical recital next year, a chamber ensemble of saxophone, violin and piano. We are thinking of using images projected behind the musicians and wondered if anyone on this forum has done this sort of thing. I saw a Bill Laswell concert a few years ago and they had one image for each piece they played.

I would be very interested in the experiences of anyone who has been involved in such a concert.

(I have an Apple powerbook, still camera and image editing software.)

Many thanks,

Ian

#2 ·
I personally haven't used images (though I programmed an interactive video and have performed pieces with video), but John Sampen has. He came through on a tour this past September and during I believe it was Toru Takemitsu's Distance (for solo soprano and Sho which they programmed to be triggered through Max/MSP), he had a slideshow of images taken from Japan. Lots of zen gardens and countryside pictures. As long as the pictures are relevant, I think it's a great idea. It gives the audience more of a visual aspect to the whole recital (or singular piece) and sometimes it helps them to understand the piece a little better.

#3 ·
I agree with Bezozzi. As long as the pictures are relevant.

Also, I think images are a cool idea so long as you have ample dress rehearsals to ensure that all of the technology works and you know how much time you need to transition from a piece without images to one with, etc. I've gone to many concerts where it is obvious that this didn't happen and it detracted from the whole experience.

If an absolutely slick and professional job isn't possible, I'd ask myself the question "Does this music really need the help/augmentation?". I'm not saying this to be a jerk, just as one saxophonist wanting other saxophonists to do what they do well in all aspects of their performance.

Admittedly, I've always wanted to do this, but could never find the lead time. Hope it goes well for you!

Tr.

#4 ·
Many thanks for your replies. I agree entirely that the technology must work perfectly, otherwise it is better to do without it.

The music being played is classical but is influenced by psychedelic music and psych folk so the opportunity for images is immense. Also lights would be good but that is too ambitious - and expensive - for the recital we have in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.