Sax on the Web Forum banner

Do you like ZAGAR Mouthpieces ?

16K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  Saxopholia 
#1 ·
Do you like ZAGAR Mouthpiece ?

#2 ·
I have an older model David Zagar Cool School that I like, and use from time to time. As one will find with just about anything, opinions on these vary.

Although metal, this model MP sounds a bit more like a hard rubber piece to a degree.

His newer pieces are quite well received, albeit at a much higher price.

#3 ·
I have a metal tenor I like quite well for a no-baffle piece. It's very flexible and you can change it up considerably with reed choice and strength.

I have a composite alto piece I don't care for.

I will say that my experience working with David has been excellent.

#5 ·
I have a V-series Vibralloy Alto which I bought in January 2007. I'm very happy with it: it's easy to play, quite open, and does not have a sharp or thin tone. It has been my main mpc on alto since :)

I have good experiences with David too. When the alto mpc didn't arrive after many a week, he offered to send another one and throw in a tenor mpc for free! Just then it did arrive, so I did not take him up on his offer :cool:

#7 ·
My SBB 300 is an awesome piece. One of the best large chamber pieces I've played. I love pairing it up with my SDA tenor for cocktail hour gigs--playing some rich, warm, jazz sounds. I also have a Hot School and a Cool School, which are good pieces, but don't really compare with the SBB.

#12 ·
My first Zagar piece was one of his first release "vintage bronze" (7) pieces I bought in mid '05. At the time i think it was good for me but I was also pretty inexperienced in gear and general facility on the saxophone itself. Mid '06 I upgraded (free of charge) to his redesigned vintage piece (this time an 8). I spent a few hours at Dave's place trying different models etc and decided on that one. He was very generous with his time and the upgrade was free of charge. Being a student with little money I was stoked!

Since mid '07 though I have been playing on a modern Otto Link hard rubber 7* refaced by Mark Spencer. I haven't found a better mouthpiece since (and I have been working in a music store for the last 2 years!)

I got to the point where I found myself working too hard on the Zagar piece without results. I still own it and go back to it now and then. I love its bottom register and in general has a nice fat sound but I find it is no good into the palm keys and higher.

Everyone is different though and the Zagar pieces held me in good stead for a few years. I know he has had vast changes in the last few years, I would be interested to play his newer models. I have herd many good things. In general, Dave is very generous with his time and willing to listen to any feedback and help you out as best he can.

#14 ·
I noticed a difference between the 200 and 300 series, and kept the 300. You could see the difference in the design, too, but it was just in the shape and size of the baffle. Yes, these "baffle-free" designs do have a baffle, regardless of what Dave Zagar tells you.

#17 ·
All mouthpieces have a baffle, unless they don't have a top.

You might have a flat or concave baffle, but as long as there's a top, you have a baffle.

#15 ·
Are the SBB really brighter or more brilliant than the regular bronze models? I've heard that they are, but I'm skeptical about that. I always thought that larger chambers/throat = darker. But I do feel like I get a more brilliant sound from a Morgan L than I do an M, so I suppose it is possible.

I have a Vintage Bronze 7 (2006?). It plays well and gets a fantastic seal.

#21 ·
I'll give it a little more. Me either.

I tried the hot and cool school, and found neither to my liking at all. I'd like a chance to try his more recent SBB series, but can't justify the price tag for an experiment. And I read so many good things about the hot and cool school before I tried 'em, I'm slow to believe it on these.

..... I think we need a passaround! ;) :)

#22 ·
Is it a short shank with a rubber tip? (Couldn't resist).

I have a traditional 6 which was boasted as his double ring copy at the time. Anyway, it doesn't play like a double ring. It's an okay piece but I have abou 8 other pieces I would play before I went for it. Sometimes I forget I have it.

#24 ·
I have an older Zagar tenor metal and I agree very comparable to a HR mouthpiece. I tend to think of it as my all around mouthpiece because it is versatile. But for Rock and R&B it doesn't hold a candle to my Dukoff. I would use it in a big band setting where my Dukoff might cause some raised eyebrows. He he he.

#27 ·
i have a zagar signature slant solution. i hate it, i have tried every reed type i use and compared it to my brillhart levelaire and both of my runyons. i even tried different ligatures, i just dont like the sound it gives me. if anyone wants to buy it, make me an offer.

#28 ·
That piece is on the opposite spectrum from a Levelaire. I have two SBBs and love them. Great jazz piece with Link-like stylings and sound. Very well made. I also have a Hot School and Cool School. The SBB is in a completely different class, which you would expect given the price difference. For the money, the HS and CS are good quality pieces.

#31 ·
I would point to the saxophone community that Mr David Zagar continues its activity, and that more than ever its mpc are extraordinary, I have 2 Tenor customs, a typed blue note and one predominantly Florida and believe me these pieces are light years away from commercial standard products, too often undervalued. Furthermore David Zagar is a sincere person and a great human value. . . Dan.

#32 · (Edited)
David Zagar has never stopped improving his mpc. I played first a Bonze Vintage Tenor 8 * and a sbb 8* and found his mpc so special and unique that I ended up ordering a custom that suited me. So there since 2 years is nirvana. . . I expect shortly a second custom with great joy. Several friends saxophonists changed their hardware for Zagar! I want to say that I am not sponsored by David Zagar, but thanks to a person bringing much happiness, I will not describe in detail all the benefits and qualities of these customs so they are many... . . . . . I want to apologize for my English, I use this as a translator.

#33 · (Edited)
I would point to the saxophone community that Mr David Zagar continues its activity, and that more than ever its mpc are extraordinary, I have 2 Tenor customs, a typed blue note and one predominantly Florida and believe me these pieces are light years away from commercial standard products. Furthermore David Zagar is a sincere person and a great human value. . . Dan.

#34 ·
David Zagar has never stopped improving his mpc. I played first a Bonze Vintage Tenor 8 * and a sbb 8* and found his mpc so special and unique that I ended up ordering a custom that suited me. So there since 2 years is nirvana. . . Several friends saxophonists changed their hardware for Zagar! I want to say that I am not sponsored by David Zagar, but thanks to a person bringing much happiness, I will not describe in detail all the benefits and qualities of these customs so they are many... . . . . . I want to apologize for my English, I use this as a translator.

Selmer Series III Tenor- Zagar Custom 9- Rigotti Gold Reeds 3Light or 3Medium- Ligature metal Vintage Saxophone Boutique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.