Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Timothy McAllister's setup

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wintringham View Post
    Wow! I'm not really into arguing, but that has to be the most arrogant and ignorant post I have ever read.

Do you know who he is? I mean, seriously. You are talking about one of the most accomplished saxophonists in the world. His technique is virtually unmatched and he has done more to promote the saxophone than everyone on this forum combined. Whether you like his playing or not, you can't argue his abilities or his success in furthering our instrument.

A puddle under his seat??? There is a reason why McAllister was chosen for this work and a reason why he has received such wonderful reviews.

Name me another saxophonist that has toured with a major US orchestra playing a monumental work by a pulitzer prize winning composer.

I apologize for my criticisms, but there are few musicians like Tim McAllister out there and it is despicable that someone hiding behind a fake name has the ignorance to bash one of the leaders of our art form.

This thread was created to find out McAllister's setup. This information has been posted. So please, no more insulting a man that can play circles around everyone here.

As Angel so eloquently put it, Tim McAllister is a BAMF. Enough said.
    Listen up, numbnutz, I wasn't 'arrogant', I wasn't 'shredding' him, etc., I was posting some observations about the TV broadcast and what it's like to play sax in an orchestral environment.

As far as "saxophonist who's toured with a major orchestra", how 'bout Rascher with The Boston Symphony?? That might just qualify...and, I'd imagine some other SOTW contributors who are up on the historical aspects of classical sax more so than I can conjure up some other instances.

As far as my 'puddle' statement, when you've played in an orchestra for a couple of decades, maybe you could comment about live playing. Everybody has times they play towards their best, times they don't. If you'd bother to read my comments with an open mind, you'll note that I didn't actually criticize his playing; I commented on finger movement, and acknowledged that the part appeared to be quite difficult.

McAllister certainly seems to be one of the better players out there -now- on the classical circuit, but I've been around long enough to have heard many great players, and around long enough to know that no one has a monopoly on talent.

I'm not hiding behind a 'fake' name and I'm not ignorant, so get over it and move on, son.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AMASAX View Post
    Listen up, numbnutz...
    You're better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by AMASAX
    As far as "saxophonist who's toured with a major orchestra", how 'bout Rascher with The Boston Symphony? That might just qualify...and, I'd imagine some other SOTW contributors who are up on the historical aspects of classical sax more so than I can conjure up some other instances.
    We're talking about today. Comparing today's astounding virtuoso to yesterday's astounding virtuoso is like comparing the most delicious apple to the most delicious orange.

(Edited to add something smarter-sounding about context being extremely important when considering the evolution of saxo approach. The apples/oranges thing, I realized, doesn't really apply here after a few minutes of thought.)

As far as my 'puddle' statement, when you've played in an orchestra for a couple of decades, maybe you could comment about live playing. Everybody has times they play towards their best, times they don't.
    From one orchestral saxo to another, I'm sure we're in agreement that each organization is drastically different in terms of standards, politics, etc. That being the case, it's not safe to assume anything about any orch situation. Knowing Tim to be a stone cold killer, I feel comfortable telling you that there wasn't even a thought of a puddle until you mentioned one off the cuff.

He does it live. Ninja style. Every time.

I've been around long enough to have heard many great players, around long enough to know that no one has a monopoly on talent.
    Heard.
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a time when I thought things like embouchure, finger position, breath support, tension, no tension...all that stuff mattered...But time after time I was proven wrong by absolutely breathtaking performances and thus I pay that stuff no mind. It's definately better to start a student off with the "right" fundamentals but if it works don't fix it...Watch Otis's finger motion when he plays...it's all over the place. Sinta bangs the keys like a rock star and sampen does a bit of both of that...on the other hand...Joe Lulloff and Kelland Thomas have IMPECCABLE finger position and motion...rather amazing to see...

McCallister has played music like this for years now--he wasn't sweating that at all. Like Angel said he's a real ninja. I can only think of a few classical saxos that give McCallister a run for his money...but I'd say hands down top three in the US and top ten in the World...

Peace

R

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NatureColor View Post
    Last time I saw him.. about a month or two months ago. he played a Series III with the red copper neck. S90 mouthpiece (190 I think..) and a gold plated Bay ligature. He endorses Rico Reserves so i guess he was using them. He sounds really awesome.. CDs really dont do any justice...
    That's how its done! Customized Selmer S90 190 mouthpieces for the win! (I use one I altered the baffle on for a darker sound )
    The cure to procrastination is the realization that procrastination in its essense is the failure in understanding that the work you are doing is to your own benefit, not the benefit of others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim now plays on a GP Series III sop.

Forum Contributor 2011 TMadness1013's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will be the classical saxophonist at Morehead State University's 2nd annual saxophone day this Saturday. I'll try & confirm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole thread is just hilarious. I can't believe a debate really sprung up over whether or not somebody thought his fingers were too far off the keys...

In any event, T-Mac is now playing a gold plated Series III alto, as well.

No word yet on what his synthetic hyperbrain is made of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of Ishimori ligature does he use? Solid silver?

Distinguished SOTW Member CarlHeanerd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For posterity's sake, here's a new link of the McAllister "City Noir" performance with the LA Philharmonic & Dudamel in 2009. The original link is broken. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAc1IiBQMjU
    Soprano: Selmer Paris Series III Selmer Paris S90 170 + Vandoren Traditional 3.5 Selmer Paris Silver Ligature
    Alto: Selmer Paris Series III
    Selmer Paris S80 C* + D'Addario Reserve 3.0+
    Ishimori Gold Ligature

www.heaneymusic.com

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently saw out of curiosity and admiration a video clinic Dr. Tim did at Saxquest and then rushed to YouTube to see more and this guy is all around killer ie:BAMF.
    i noticed his alto had the Meridian winds heavyweight lyre screws and bell brace weight, any thoughts on this? a Star Wars alto?
    Jazz don't sleep...Mingus never slept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tinpalaceroach View Post
    I recently saw out of curiosity and admiration a video clinic Dr. Tim did at Saxquest and then rushed to YouTube to see more and this guy is all around killer ie:BAMF.
    i noticed his alto had the Meridian winds heavyweight lyre screws and bell brace weight, any thoughts on this? a Star Wars alto?
    No idea, though Meridian is pretty tight with the MSU and UM saxophone studios.

Kinda OT: He talks about some of the new Vandoren equipment (no longer with D'Addario) he's trying here: https://youtu.be/DFg-AozXENg
    Series III Soprano, Caravan, D'Addario 4.5, Rovner Dark ligature
    Series II Alto, Houlik, D'Addario 4, Optimum ligature
    Series III Tenor, Houlik, D'Addario 3.5, Versa ligature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Platner View Post
    What kind of Ishimori ligature does he use? Solid silver?
    From the pictures of his alto setup in the last few years it looks like it's the solid silver Ishimori lig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T-Mac's Setup (as of late):

Selmer Series III GP (Soprano, Alto, Tenor) - Selmer Series II (Baritone)

Mouthpieces: Selmer Concept (Soprano) - Short Shank Soloist (Alto) (donated by Robert Black) - S90 (190) (Tenor, Baritone)
    Ligatures: Vandoren M/O (Soprano) - Ishimori Solid Silver (Alto, Tenor, Bari)
    Reeds: Vandoren Blue Box/V12 for everything (he's no longer with D'Addario)

I confirmed all of this with him via email. He's been looking for alternatives to the S90, which was his mouthpiece of choice for many years.

His Vandoren promo video shows him trying out a V5 A20 mouthpiece. Not sure if he plans on sticking with it or not.
    "Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
    - Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrystallineVisions View Post
    Mouthpieces: Selmer Concept (Soprano) - Short Shank Soloist (Alto) (donated by Robert Black) - S90 (190) (Tenor, Baritone)
    Ligatures: Vandoren M/O (Soprano) - Ishimori Solid Silver (Alto, Tenor, Bari)
    Reeds: Vandoren Blue Box/V12 for everything (he's no longer with D'Addario)

I confirmed all of this with him via email. He's been looking for alternatives to the S90, which was his mouthpiece of choice for many years.
    Has he become dissatisfied with the S90 due to a changed tonal concept, or does he need to play a Vandoren piece to satisfy his endorsement obligations? Sometimes Vandoren artists seem able to separate reed deals from mouthpiece deals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    Has he become dissatisfied with the S90 due to a changed tonal concept, or does he need to play a Vandoren piece to satisfy his endorsement obligations? Sometimes Vandoren artists seem able to separate reed deals from mouthpiece deals.
    Tonal concept. Playing John Adams' Concerto has had a major impact on his sound concept. I wouldn't say "dissatisfied" because he still regards the S90 as one of the best mouthpieces out there.

As far I'm aware, Vandoren only requires artists to play their reeds. Mouthpieces are optional. Vincent David played Selmer mouthpieces when he was on Vandoren's roster, and Arno Bornkamp doesn't play Vandoren mouthpieces exclusively.
    "Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
    - Charles Bukowski

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3