Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Timothy McAllister's setup

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Hit us with the link. I'll be your friend forever.
    Sorry, I recorded it on my ReplayTV DVR, so no link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2011 tenor71363's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AMASAX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovano1239 View Post
    Upon watching the video, I noticed that, perhaps it's just me, but aren't his fingers flying a little off the keys? I've never seen it to that degree before (among professonals)
    Yes, he has very poor hand position, or rather, finger movement.

He's very tense all over during the entire performance. Dunno if that's typical, or he was just up tight for this gig(hard part, too).

I've played many, many orchestral concerts over decades(Eb/Bass clarinet), and have noticed that saxophonists often are very uncomfortable in this environment, mainly due to the infrequency of opportunity(understandable). I usually sit next to 'the sax guy', so I have a closer viewpoint than most...

As another example of sax-in-the-orchestra, I'm often surprised that saxophonists just sit there, waiting for the 'big solo' and wonder if anything's gonna come out(dry reed, long time to sit, etc.)
    The easy solution here is to occasionally subtone some low notes, softly enough such that no one will hear, during load sections, etc. Keeps the reed & chops going, and also keeps 'the sax guy' involved, so it's much easier to play the 'big solo'. Pictures at an Exhibition particularly comes to mind here. Also helps keep the horn warm(most don't know to tune up sharp if there's a big wait; otherwise, they're gonna be wayyy flat on the 'big one'.)

Couple that with a high profile part, high profile orchestra, TV gig, and I'd suspect there was a puddle under his chair by intermission.
    I doubt there was a "puddle" and you most likely couldn't carry the load he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upon watching the video, I noticed that, perhaps it's just me, but aren't his fingers flying a little off the keys? I've never seen it to that degree before (among professonals)
    Yes, he has very poor hand position, or rather, finger movement.

He's very tense all over during the entire performance. Dunno if that's typical, or he was just up tight for this gig(hard part, too).

I've played many, many orchestral concerts over decades(Eb/Bass clarinet), and have noticed that saxophonists often are very uncomfortable in this environment, mainly due to the infrequency of opportunity(understandable). I usually sit next to 'the sax guy', so I have a closer viewpoint than most...

As another example of sax-in-the-orchestra, I'm often surprised that saxophonists just sit there, waiting for the 'big solo' and wonder if anything's gonna come out(dry reed, long time to sit, etc.)
    The easy solution here is to occasionally subtone some low notes, softly enough such that no one will hear, during load sections, etc. Keeps the reed & chops going, and also keeps 'the sax guy' involved, so it's much easier to play the 'big solo'. Pictures at an Exhibition particularly comes to mind here. Also helps keep the horn warm(most don't know to tune up sharp if there's a big wait; otherwise, they're gonna be wayyy flat on the 'big one'.)

Couple that with a high profile part, high profile orchestra, TV gig, and I'd suspect there was a puddle under his chair by intermission.
    I think he can handle himself just fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly doubt that...
    MM in Performance - Florida State University
    BM in Performance & Music Education - Northern Arizona University

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I'm not really into arguing, but that has to be the most arrogant and ignorant post I have ever read.

Do you know who he is? I mean, seriously. You are talking about one of the most accomplished saxophonists in the world. His technique is virtually unmatched and he has done more to promote the saxophone than everyone on this forum combined. Whether you like his playing or not, you can't argue his abilities or his success in furthering our instrument.

A puddle under his seat??? There is a reason why McAllister was chosen for this work and a reason why he has received such wonderful reviews.

Name me another saxophonist that has toured with a major US orchestra playing a monumental work by a pulitzer prize winning composer.

I apologize for my criticisms, but there are few musicians like Tim McAllister out there and it is despicable that someone hiding behind a fake name has the ignorance to bash one of the leaders of our art form.

This thread was created to find out McAllister's setup. This information has been posted. So please, no more insulting a man that can play circles around everyone here.

As Angel so eloquently put it, Tim McAllister is a BAMF. Enough said.

Formerly the Big Island, now on the road in an RV
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
    It is a work called "City Noir" by John Adams, perhaps one of the most acclaimed contemporary composers of our era. It's very exciting to see that he wrote such an extended alto saxophone part and I can bet this piece is going to get played everywhere.
    There's a good look at his piece at 21:06.

Angel's right--BAMF. Who cares about his fingers? This is not an 'easy' part, and it's quite exposed.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

CraigH

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wintringham View Post
    he has done more to promote the saxophone than everyone on this forum combined.

Name me another saxophonist that has toured with a major US orchestra playing a monumental work by a pulitzer prize winning composer.

So please, no more insulting a man that can play circles around everyone here.
    Let me start by saying that I love Timothy McAllister's playing. He is a BAMF for sure. And, I can understand Jonathan's frustration with the aforementioned post. However, Jonathan, you have made some pretty blanket generalizations as quoted above. I don't know how much you read this forum, but I can assure you, there are other BAMFs that are members on SOTW that have done and continue to do a lot for music and more specifically, for the saxophone. I'm just sayin'....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    It is a work called "City Noir" by John Adams, perhaps one of the most acclaimed contemporary composers of our era. It's very exciting to see that he wrote such an extended alto saxophone part and I can bet this piece is going to get played everywhere.

Angel's right--BAMF. Who cares about his fingers? This is not an 'easy' part, and it's quite exposed.
    I was simply making an observation Hak. Didn't mean to start this small arguement.

Formerly the Big Island, now on the road in an RV
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post

I was simply making an observation Hak. Didn't mean to start this small arguement.
    Okey dokey.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are absolutely correct. I apologize. I didn't mean to insult the members here in order to prove a point. I am sure there are plenty of fine players on this forum. In my opinion (I hope it is quite clear that this IS my opinion), there are few players in the world that can hold their own against someone like Tim McAllister. And, there are NONE who are so superior that they have earned the right to insult him.

I find it a little sad that instead of a thread about how Tim McAllister is doing fantastic things for our instrument and is a part of a historic event for the saxophone, that we are discussing how far his fingers come off the keys.

Again, I apologize if I have offended anyone. It was in no way my intention. If someone starts badmouthing Delangle or Sugawa, I might have to jump in again =)

CraigH

You are absolutely correct. I apologize. I didn't mean to insult the members here in order to prove a point.
    No problem. Timothy is a phenomenal talent. I don't fault you at all for defending him. Let's get back on topic.

How long has he played the S-90? Which tip opening?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post

Was this the setup he used on the LA Phil broadcast we heard a few weeks ago?

What a BAMF.
    Actually, I don't think BAMF quite covers McAllister. After hearing him play the Mackey Soprano concerto last year with the Honor Band of America, I'm quite sure of it.

Garrett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the topic also involved his flexibility with students' equipment choices. from what i know he rarely enforces setups or horn brands on students. most likely people wanting to play bueschers and caravans aren't looking to study with him, but he is comfortable with students playing vandorens, rousseau, selmer mpcs, and anything from selmer horns to yanis to keilwerths. like the original poster said, probably whatever sounds good.

he does some of his own mouthpiece work, and has worked a lot with Bob Scott and Rich Hawkins. i think he has always played an S90 190 on alto, according to the sax journal article from a few years back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by selmer3man View Post
    i think the topic also involved his flexibility with students' equipment choices. from what i know he rarely enforces setups or horn brands on students. most likely people wanting to play bueschers and caravans aren't looking to study with him, but he is comfortable with students playing vandorens, rousseau, selmer mpcs, and anything from selmer horns to yanis to keilwerths. like the original poster said, probably whatever sounds good.

he does some of his own mouthpiece work, and has worked a lot with Bob Scott and Rich Hawkins. i think he has always played an S90 190 on alto, according to the sax journal article from a few years back.
    Well I am a Rascher player and I am interested. I really could care less about the whole "School of Playing" concept. He's an accomplished, experienced, well rounded classical saxophonist that seems like he has a lot to offer. So he's on my list for possible graduate school choices.

Good to know about the whole brand thing because I have heard a lot of different things regarding that.

Would like to hear from more people, especially people who have or are studying with him.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by selmer3man View Post

I think the whole "enforcing setups" thing is very misunderstood, frankly. I know of exactly 3 professors who actively force their students to play a certain setup. Most students of a given professor wind up playing similar setups because the WANT to get a sound similar to the person they are studying with, or they ask for equipment recommendations and a professor recommends a particular brand of horn/mouthpiece/reed. Also, sometimes there are discounts involved because an endorsed professor will help his or her students buy horns using an artist discount.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are absolutely correct. I apologize. I didn't mean to insult the members here in order to prove a point. I am sure there are plenty of fine players on this forum. In my opinion (I hope it is quite clear that this IS my opinion), there are few players in the world that can hold their own against someone like Tim McAllister. And, there are NONE who are so superior that they have earned the right to insult him.

I find it a little sad that instead of a thread about how Tim McAllister is doing fantastic things for our instrument and is a part of a historic event for the saxophone, that we are discussing how far his fingers come off the keys.

Again, I apologize if I have offended anyone. It was in no way my intention. If someone starts badmouthing Delangle or Sugawa, I might have to jump in again =)

No, Professor McAllister is awesome...who cares about his fingers? Some people just play that way...one of the best players I've ever seen looked like a wildman when he played, but he could play anything.

Now, why he would choose to live in Phoenix, I have no idea.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will confirm that McAllister is accepting of all. I was pretty close to going to school there for my DMA. He was perfectly fine with my setup(Keilwerth with a refaced rascher, btw). He wouldn't have changed me.

As far as anything else is concerned, it really doesn't matter about his fingers. He could've been playing upside-down with no neckstrap and I still would've approved of his performance. He can do whatever he wants!
    http://www.manaquartet.com
    baritone saxophonist, Mana Quartet
    soprano saxophonist, Project Fusion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw very little tightness, tension, bad habit stuff. Shoulders were relaxed, embouchure was perfect, fingers were snappy. Extremely energetic and deadly accurate playing. And the times I've witnessed his live performances, I see that same locked-in, "I-own-you" look that appears on his face right before he unleashes something astounding. This video is no different.

Just brilliant and largely inimitable.

And about the fingers, some of the other greatest players in the history of our instrument (incl Delangle, Bornkamp, Petit) are in the same habit, and I don't understand the complaint. If the execution is artistic and the technique is polished, I'm not sure that any real case can be made concerning finger-height variances.
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannel View Post
    I will confirm that McAllister is accepting of all. I was pretty close to going to school there for my DMA. He was perfectly fine with my setup(Keilwerth with a refaced rascher, btw). He wouldn't have changed me.

As far as anything else is concerned, it really doesn't matter about his fingers. He could've been playing upside-down with no neckstrap and I still would've approved of his performance. He can do whatever he wants!
    Thanks for the info Dannel!

And to everyone regarding his fingers, I stated already I was simply making an observation. I never said that it was bad or anything and I didn't meant to cause everything that occured from this. And so I say we move past it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All that information seems accurate. He has played on a s90 since I met him in 2002. I think it is a 190, but as someone previously mentioned McAllister has been doing a lot of mouthpiece work recently (and quite successfully from what my friends have said). So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has worked on his own mp. I don't think he has ever used Vandoren.

As far as setups, I think it is accurate to say that its more about the sound you are getting and whether or not he feels your equipment is holding you back. I also agree that when a studio copies their teacher's equipment, it is generally due to a desire to make the most of their training and not because of the demands of the teacher. As saxophonists, we deal with highly mechanical instruments and often our playing has to be tailored to our equipment. It is certainly not a requirement, but I feel it is helpful to play on, at least, a similar setup to the person training you.

As a student of Dr. McAllister, I have never seen him force equipment on a student. I would say the majority of his students play on Selmer horns, but again, this is most likely due to the student's choice and not a demand from McAllister.

On a side note, if you guys haven't tried the Woodstone ligature I mentioned (that McAllister plays on now), YOU SHOULD! Until recently they were only available in Japan. But if I am not mistaken, they are now sold at Roberto's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast