Buying a Le Bravo! Tip needed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Buying a Le Bravo! Tip needed!

At school my very, very basic student Jupiter 565 got stolen along with my Rosseau NC4 mouthpiece, BG Traditional lig, big *** box of Van Dorens, ProTec case, neckstrap etc, etc.
    The total of this is $2300.

I've decided it would be best to buy a better saxophone with the money and then buy the mouthpiece laters!

I think I want to buy the Le Bravo, the sound of the horn is much richer and less thin than both of the intermediate model Yammaha and Jupiter models. I tried a pre-love SML and thats my second faveourite.

ANYWAY! I was wondering peoples personal opinion on the Le Bravo. I know that the P.Mauriat is a newcomer into the world of horns, but the sound of it was so much better!

Any good moutpiece/lig/reed combos?

General feelings towards the Le Bravo?

I can never find anything on the Le Bravo, it always seems to be on the higher model.

Thanks for your contribution! Hope to hear from you soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buying a Le Bravo! Tip needed!

I would go for something like this instead of the the Mauriat. A lot more horn for the money;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    I would go for something like this instead of the the Mauriat. A lot more horn for the money;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    I've never tried the Yani's.
    I'm a bit of a fan of buying new instruments too unless I can actually play them first. The Yani's at Brass & Woodwind in Melbourne are just the semi pro models and they are about a grand out of my price range.

I really like the Mauriat, but if there are other suggestions I'd love to hear them!
    The Mauriat just blows my old Jupiter out of the water! Even the higher models.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Official Spender of Too Much Time on SOTW/P. Mauriat Fanatic jmoen3's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He asked for advice on Le Bravo's, not yanis . Go back to the yani section!

Anyways, although I haven't played the Le Bravo model, as its fairly recently been getting shipped to the major dealers (Sax Alley). Of what I hear it has all of the greats of the sound of the 66R/67R but with the more edge. I would recommend anything Mauriat, and would strongly suggest them. If you're looking for cheaper and similar check out CE-Winds, Kessler Custom, Phil Barone, and TK Melody. They are all very nice and all have ties with SOTW. Anyways, I would get another Mauriat if I had the cash, so I hope to welcome a new Mauriat owner to our group.
    P. Mauriat 67R DK Alto and CE Winds S/A/T
    Drake NY Jazz 7 Alto, Yani HR 7 Soprano and Jody Jazz ESP .120 Tenor
    My Soundclick Recordings
    -Jared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

I have Le Bravo tenor. I can't really comment as i am a beginner lol.

PM if you like

cheers
    Michael

Forum Contributor 2017 BrianMitchellBrody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well put J.

I recently played a P. Mauriat Le Bravo at my local shop and they play very well and are comparable in in my opinion to the quality and tonality to the now classic (intermediate at the time) American horns from the mid-50's.

However, when comparing Le Bravo to the 66R it is definitely as well built but not as focused nor dark sounding, most certainly a true intermediate saxophone that will serve you well all the way through college.

My suggestion is that if you can afford to save just a wee bit more, buy the 66R, then you have something for a lifetime.

B

Quote Originally Posted by jmoen3 View Post
    He asked for advice on Le Bravo's, not yanis . Go back to the yani section!

Anyways, although I haven't played the Le Bravo model, as its fairly recently been getting shipped to the major dealers (Sax Alley). Of what I hear it has all of the greats of the sound of the 66R/67R but with the more edge. I would recommend anything Mauriat, and would strongly suggest them. If you're looking for cheaper and similar check out CE-Winds, Kessler Custom, Phil Barone, and TK Melody. They are all very nice and all have ties with SOTW. Anyways, I would get another Mauriat if I had the cash, so I hope to welcome a new Mauriat owner to our group.
    �We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.�
    ~Aristotle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being in Melbourne, and considering that you're buying an alto, you can do much better money wise buying from overseas. Otherwise Vintage horns don't seem to do as badly over here compared to modern horns. That seems like an awful lot of money for a non top line Mauriat.
    PB Bare Brass Vintage Tenor - Barone Hollywood 8
    Buescher Aristocrat Alto - Selmer Soloist-style .83

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twombles62 View Post
    Being in Melbourne, and considering that you're buying an alto, you can do much better money wise buying from overseas. Otherwise Vintage horns don't seem to do as badly over here compared to modern horns. That seems like an awful lot of money for a non top line Mauriat.
    There probably isn't anything wrong with buying off the internet, but I just feel more comfortable buying from a retail stoer or private seller. That way I can be guaranteed that the saxophone I just had in my mouth in the store will be the one that I play for the next few years. Unless there was a cheap Selmer or something =D

Thanks you all for posting! Keep posting this is all very, very helpful.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonisz View Post
    I really like the Mauriat, but if there are other suggestions I'd love to hear them!
    I know what you mean, Jupiters seemed to be great value when they first came out, but the recent Mauriats have seen them off IMO. These lower priced Mauriats are actually (and to some people surprisingly) very good horns - I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Forum Contributor 2017 BrianMitchellBrody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with that. It seems that Mauriat as well as Cannonball have found a great combination of locating the best Taiwanese parts, and expert pre-sale set up.

I went with a different Taiwanese brand (see below) and I am very happy as the build is professional grade but the so called set-up from the distributor was not what I would call professional in the sense of a Tenormadness type technician, but then again the horns would have cost me $500+ more.

That said the top of the line Jupiters are really nice instruments whereas the 700 series (intermediate lines) are just average.

If you can afford a new horn and do not want to spend additional time, effort and money having the horn set-up pay full retail.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I know what you mean, Jupiters seemed to be great value when they first came out, but the recent Mauriats have seen them off IMO. These lower priced Mauriats are actually (and to some people surprisingly) very good horns - I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    �We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.�
    ~Aristotle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by modman View Post
    I totally agree with that. It seems that Mauriat as well as Cannonball have found a great combination of locating the best Taiwanese parts, and expert pre-sale set up.

I went with a different Taiwanese brand (see below) and I am very happy as the build is professional grade but the so called set-up from the distributor was not what I would call professional in the sense of a Tenormadness type technician, but then again the horns would have cost me $500+ more.

That said the top of the line Jupiters are really nice instruments whereas the 700 series (intermediate lines) are just average.

If you can afford a new horn and do not want to spend additional time, effort and money having the horn set-up pay full retail.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    For whatever reason my store isn't selling Cannonballs anymore D=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys I'm trying to decide between Phil Barone tenor or the PMauriat le bravo. It's my first tenor, I played alto 15yrs ago and stopped. I want to save money but I also want to make sure I buy a horn I will be happy with. PB or PM It's a difference of $1000. I love the PM but hoping that I can save some money. Advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own both Barone Classic and Mauriat Sys-76 tenors and they are very similar. Much of the $1000 difference is paying for a distribution and dealer network, branding, marketing, and advertising, warranty coverage & repair, and in some cases the mark up space necessary for a good shop to do a nice setup job. Make no mistake, there is value there. It's just a matter of how you feel about the added value- is it worth $1000. My personal opinion is that the underlying horns are not much different in quality but the business models are much different. If you don't mind buying without play-testing, you might want to keep an eye out for lightly used examples of each as they come up here in the marketplace section as well ebay fairly regularly for 40-50% off new retail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, I personally think investing the time into finding a rocking repair tech and buying vintage. You can get a king zephyr, conn 10m, Buescher 400 s-1, buffet, or even a stencil like a baugnier vito or something, get it overhauled and still be way under the new mark for something with a value that will tank! A vintage horn is an investment, a new horn is a gamble. Find a tech when you buy a horn get one locally and have your tech look it over before you buy. IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a chance to try a Le Bravo tenor today, among others. I actually liked it much better than any Mauriat I've tried before (which was multiple of the professional models). The whole range responded much better for me, and the tone was less bright and buzzy. I'm still not a fan of Mauriats, but I know others do, so here's my experience in case it helps anybody.
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer Neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Cannonball BBSS Brute alto/Vandoren AL5/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5