Sax on the Web Forum banner

Best Non-Windows Operating System for PC

23K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  FremontSax 
G
#1 ·
I'm interested in trying a new operating system for my PC. What's the best bet in terms of reliability, stability, compatibility, user friendliness, cost, etc....Linux....Ubunto....Debian....others???????

#2 ·
I've tried a couple of different flavors of Linux, and I like the Ubuntu distribution a lot.

If you download the live cd, you can boot from it to see how it works, then decide whether to install it on your PC. You can also set it up to dual boot, just in case you want or need to go back to windows.

Also, you can run it under windows using emulation, using something like VirtualBox.

All of the above are 'free', as far as money, but there is a bit of a learning curve, so the cost is in time.

#6 ·
Yea, I went through a period where I used exclusively Linux Mint (Ubuntu derivative + multimedia codecs) for about 6 months. I even had Sibelius running in a virtual machine.....

Back on Xp now though. This way I can use both commercial AND open source software. A great open source sibelius replacement I found is MuseScore and a handy little alternative to powerpoint is VUE (visual understanding environment. I mention these because if you start using Linux you end up doing alot on programs you've never heard of before :p.

I also recommend a gentoo based distro, Sabayon, comes with codecs again and 3D video card drivers pre-installed. As mentioned before though - a live cd is the best way to go first off.

#7 ·
What are you looking for ?

ease of use ?
smallest learning curve ?
multimedia ?
software development ?

Just to try without installing try one of the many live cd's.

Ubuntu is good is you don't need the cutting edge packages (for development)
if you do go fedora.

Easy way to try is download either virtual box(free) or vmware player(free)
then download a preconfigered and setup virtual machine.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

ubuntu 9.04 vm
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/147323

fedora 11 vm
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/220313

#10 ·
Definitely check out a Ubuntu live CD. You have nothing to use. If you like it just install it as a dual boot which is much easier than it sounds. Then, if you really need Windows for something you can re-boot in to windows. I set up my mom's computer like this and she hasn't booted in to Windows for over a year.

#11 ·
Ubuntu, Red Hat, Open Suse are distributions of linux, not different operating systems.

Different operating systems for the PC would be

Linux, FreeBSD, BeOS, minix and a few others

So are you wondering what is the best non-windows OS in which case I would wonder for what? To use as a server or as a desktop computer or as a work station?

If you have already made a fairly reasonable (though i know FreeBSD proponents who would strongly disagree) that linux is the best alternative OS for a pc so then what distribution should you use?

#13 ·
Another reccomendation for Ubuntu. I`ve been using it on my tablet pc for general duties ie email (thunderbird), surfing (firefox), graphics (gimp) etc.for a few years now. I find it just as easy to use and set up as windows - installation/uninstallation of programs is a breeze with the newer releases of the OS. Definitely one to try out. If I hadn`t committed to Sonar Cakewalk on my desktop (music) pc I`d be using Ubuntu and Rosegarden.

#14 ·
My favorite was TRS-Dos for the Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III. I think that was a "CornSoft" product. Every OS since then has had real problems. ;)

But enough with the humor. I've tried those others but came back to a good clean full install of Windows XP Pro SP3. Once properly tweaked, it's really the best of them all and will run standard software.

I've stripped Vista off several of my friends new PC's and install XP on them without problems. The PC manufacturer will say "Vista Only" but this is never the case. I simply go to Google and search for "XP Drivers for _______) and I always find loads of how-to's and links to drivers. Most of the time, new PC's will run more than twice as fast with XP over Vista.

I haven't tried Windows 7 yet so I don't know if it is better or not. Generally, I wound not install the first version of any OS. They usually get most of the bugs worked out by the second version as they did with XP.

#15 ·
My favorite was TRS-Dos for the Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III. I think that was a "CornSoft" product. Every OS since then has had real problems. ;)

But enough with the humor. I've tried those others but came back to a good clean full install of Windows XP Pro SP3. Once properly tweaked, it's really the best of them all and will run standard software.

I've stripped Vista off several of my friends new PC's and install XP on them without problems. The PC manufacturer will say "Vista Only" but this is never the case. I simply go to Google and search for "XP Drivers for _______) and I always find loads of how-to's and links to drivers. Most of the time, new PC's will run more than twice as fast with XP over Vista.

I haven't tried Windows 7 yet so I don't know if it is better or not. Generally, I wound not install the first version of any OS. They usually get most of the bugs worked out by the second version as they did with XP.
I thought win 7 IS a second version of Vista. I just ordered a new computer for Ms. hakukani, with Win 7, so we'll see how it goes. Her P4 is going to become a Linux box so that she can learn how to use it, and learn the 'R' stats package.

#16 ·
As a purely windows guy, I've run Ubuntu and I was pretty impressed. I don't like going through much more work to get stuff running, which is why I'm back in windows and now running Windows 7 and i'm very impressed with this as well. Finally lost the resource hog of vista, with all of those visual benefits :D!

Anyways, although this isn't out yet, i believe its a very great idea and I'll be looking into it as well. Check it out. Maybe google will rule the world soon :twisted:.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

#17 ·
My Ubuntu experience was that all the instructions I could find online were written by people who don't know how to write instructions, and they leave a lot of stuff out. If you have a well-conforming mind and effortlessly fill in the missing spaces in information with assumptions that are always correct, you'll love the Linux experience. Some people are that way and they are very happy.

If you are a more objective, literal person you won't like it at all. You won't be able to "make up" the missing pieces of information. That was me, and I do best with XP.

P

#19 · (Edited)
I made the switch from Windows to Linux back in 2000 and don't use Windows on any on my computers.

I have Ubuntu Studio installed on a laptop and the rest of my computers run openSUSE.

In fact, I'm typing this reply on my Nokia N810 handheld running Maemo Linux.

I recommending downloading a live CD or DVD and trying Linux that way first.
Most distributions offer a live version and you won't have to install anything before trying it.

#20 ·
I give my vote to Ubuntu as well. It's stable and compatibility is high also you can use PC hardware - and that was 18 months ago so it has got to be even better now.
I spent 8 years trying to get Windows to work for me for sequencing and video editing and I wasted a lot of time and money in the never ending pursuit of upgrading hardware, memory, replacing drivers etc etc and achieved very little.
I switched to a MAC last year (macbook pro) bought myself a copy of Logic Express (although garage band is free and fantastic) and I never spent a another penny and have had nothing but hours and hours and hours of productivity. I compose with it, transcribe, travel with it, use it on stage ... and it has never once let me down - never crashed - never disappointed.
But failing a MAC then go for Ubuntu you'll love it although I do not know what music software is available if that is what you are looking for.

#23 ·
[/QUOTE]

Pete,

I think you meant this post for the thread about music lies.;)[/QUOTE]

Win7 is so perfected it will kill sales for future versions of Windows for many years.

#24 ·
Pete,

I think you meant this post for the thread about music lies.;)[/quote]

Win7 is so perfected it will kill sales for future versions of Windows for many years.[/quote]

Just slightly less bloated than before=perfection?:)

#28 ·
Slight derailment of topic perhaps, but ... I fresh installed the new Ubuntu 9.10 recently. Love it, easy to use, does just what I want it to, BUT screen freezes after a while. Same thing with Kubuntu. I'm a total non-techie, don't know if it's hardware or software causing it. May have to install XP instead to see if that works ... sigh.

#30 ·
#31 ·
I'd also recommend Ubuntu. I gave up on Windows some time ago and have been running Ubuntu since - it was easy to install, the package management / updates works very smoothly, it is stable and it does everything I want. There's plenty of help on the web but it does tend to be at a more techy level than the help available for Windows. A lot depends on the apps you use - Wine is good but may not support that favourite app you can't live without.

#35 ·
Also when deciding which flavour of linux to hop on the band-wagon with, its improtant to decide if music production software/support is needed.

If it is there are a number of reasonably good choices such as: Ubuntu Studio and 64Studio. Both contain all of the leading open source audio production alternatives (including software synths, the awesome JackD interface, ardour/rosegarden and mastering software).

An important feature of these distros is the 'real-time' low audio latency kernel - allowing for great audio processing and recording.

And if Linux were a sax it would be one at a repair-school where it is constantly being taken apart and rebuilt by everyone, whether they know what their doing or not :p

Happy Distro Hopping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.