Sax on the Web Forum banner

'Professional Setup' Caution for Classical Players

6K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Angel 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a new Yanagisawa A991 from a dealer that promised ‘completely setup & inspected … to make sure that the instrument you receive is perfect’. I suspect that what is perfect for a Jazz performer is less then adequate for a classical performer. The low C, B and Bb gurgle at soft volumes but are stable a mf or louder. It does this with my Vandoren Optimum AL4 as well as the mouthpiece that came with the instrument. When going from the E with octave key to the A or G below, the instrument want to go to the higher note and it takes a while to settle down so that you can attack the lower A. I live in Santa Fe and the closest wood wind repair person is 50 miles away in Albuquerque. While this person is great with clarinets, did a superb pin and flush banding on my alto clarinet that developed a crack, there was nothing that could be done to remedy my alto sax problem. Thinking the problem night be me as I had been playing tenor exclusively for the past 3 years I borrowed a friends Keilwerth alto and the low C purrs at a P and there are no interval problems using the same mouthpiece and reed. At this point I do not know who I might send the instrument to for adjustment and am concerned that it could get out of adjustment in shipping. I am willing to fly to Denver, Phoenix or someplace within 500 miles if someone can recommend someone.

#2 ·
1. I would advise sending it back to the dealer with your specific list of issues. You should not incur additional expenses taking care of what they had promised.

2. Failing that, contact Tim Glessman at saxalley.com I entrusted my horns to him for the six years that I lived in Wyoming (he's just north of Denver), and I was always more than satisfied.

#3 ·
I concur with Drake but I would suggest that you get s.o. else to test play the horn (pref. a teacher, a pro... a jazzman maybe?;)) so that you have more weight in your negotiation with the dealer.

BTW jazzmen can be very demanding on the setup of their horns, their intonation etc etc. I don't think there are different standards at a certain level of playing, whatever the style of music.

Good luck!

#5 ·
When I called the person who placed his business card in the case saying that it was ‘Inspected and play tested…’, the person was very defensive, told me to send the instrument back and that he would look at it. I did not hear anything close to ‘It will be fixed to your satisfaction’ or an apology for having to send a brand new instrument back and assurance that I would be reimbursed for shipping. I have given up on the dealer.

I have been in communication with the saxophone professor at the University of New Mexico and he told me that he would be able to assist me, but I have no date scheduled as of today.

#6 ·
When I called the person who placed his business card in the case saying that it was 'Inspected and play tested…', the person was very defensive, told me to send the instrument back and that he would look at it. I did not hear anything close to 'It will be fixed to your satisfaction' or an apology for having to send a brand new instrument back and assurance that I would be reimbursed for shipping. I have given up on the dealer.

I have been in communication with the saxophone professor at the University of New Mexico and he told me that he would be able to assist me, but I have no date scheduled as of today.
Was that from the shop that keeps moving around Santa Fe - most recently located at the De Vargas mall?

Whom in Albuquerque have you contacted? Do you know Janet Harmon at Second Wind?

#7 ·
Lsinoff, I am so glad you posted this because I am in the same situation.
I play an A902 and I have a gurgle in the low notes as well, but it seems like mine does not get better when I play louder. (I bought it this way.)
I recently sent it to a tech because I thought it was a leak. I'm not sure what the tech did, but it played fine after being fixed for a few days, then it got worse until it reached the to the initial point again.
I'm not sure why this, but I'm taking it back to the tech and hope that he can give me an explanation.

#10 ·
What do you mean guys? Since I stopped playing classical, I don't care whether my low notes gurgle....:twisted:;)

#17 ·
It's not uncommon to have some minor work done by a repairman and to have it inspected after buying it. I've almost always done it and so I wouldn't necessarily be convinced that the seller has "failed" in some way. Although it is frustrating, fork out the $30 and have the repairman fix the leak or whatever it is in a few minutes...

#20 ·
I recently purchased a new Yanagisawa A991 from a dealer that promised 'completely setup & inspected … to make sure that the instrument you receive is perfect'. I suspect that what is perfect for a Jazz performer is less then adequate for a classical performer. The low C, B and Bb gurgle at soft volumes but are stable a mf or louder. It does this with my Vandoren Optimum AL4 as well as the mouthpiece that came with the instrument. When going from the E with octave key to the A or G below, the instrument want to go to the higher note and it takes a while to settle down so that you can attack the lower A. I live in Santa Fe and the closest wood wind repair person is 50 miles away in Albuquerque. While this person is great with clarinets, did a superb pin and flush banding on my alto clarinet that developed a crack, there was nothing that could be done to remedy my alto sax problem. Thinking the problem night be me as I had been playing tenor exclusively for the past 3 years I borrowed a friends Keilwerth alto and the low C purrs at a P and there are no interval problems using the same mouthpiece and reed. At this point I do not know who I might send the instrument to for adjustment and am concerned that it could get out of adjustment in shipping. I am willing to fly to Denver, Phoenix or someplace within 500 miles if someone can recommend someone.
1. Jazz players have the same expectations as classical players. Maybe more with some of the ****ing altissimo, but definitely not less.
2. Tell him you want to get the work done right. Complain, complain, complain. You paid him for a good service and you didn't get one. You basically threw your wallet at a stranger. Its his responsibility to get the job done. Its all about letting the repairer know who's boss. Most people don't know what "good" repair is so repairers do a crappy job because you think they did it well

#21 ·
I recently purchased a new Yanagisawa A991 from a dealer that promised 'completely setup & inspected … to make sure that the instrument you receive is perfect'. I suspect that what is perfect for a Jazz performer is less then adequate for a classical performer. The low C, B and Bb gurgle at soft volumes but are stable a mf or louder. It does this with my Vandoren Optimum AL4 as well as the mouthpiece that came with the instrument. When going from the E with octave key to the A or G below, the instrument want to go to the higher note and it takes a while to settle down so that you can attack the lower A. I live in Santa Fe and the closest wood wind repair person is 50 miles away in Albuquerque. While this person is great with clarinets, did a superb pin and flush banding on my alto clarinet that developed a crack, there was nothing that could be done to remedy my alto sax problem. Thinking the problem night be me as I had been playing tenor exclusively for the past 3 years I borrowed a friends Keilwerth alto and the low C purrs at a P and there are no interval problems using the same mouthpiece and reed. At this point I do not know who I might send the instrument to for adjustment and am concerned that it could get out of adjustment in shipping. I am willing to fly to Denver, Phoenix or someplace within 500 miles if someone can recommend someone.
1. Jazz players have the same expectations as classical players. Maybe more with some of the ****ing altissimo, but definitely not less.
2. Tell him you want to get the work done right. Complain, complain, complain. You paid him for a good service and you didn't get one. You basically threw your wallet at a stranger. Its his responsibility to get the job done. Its all about letting the repairer know who's boss. Most people don't know what "good" repair is so repairers do a crappy job because you think they did it well
The problem is that the OP expects a horn to be set up perfectly after it's been shipped. It won't be, no matter how good of a job that the repairman does. This should be expected. Most legit repair guys aren't going to do a crappy job just because they think they can fool people. In fact, I've never met any repairman who would do this. Reputation is everything.

#23 ·
I've been to 2 places for repair. One was very good and one was pretty darn bad. The repairman doesn't seem to be a repairman. I really can't vouch for anyone in particular

#27 ·
There's a difference between being ignorant and being bad on purpose. No repairman would be bad on purpose, but they might not know how to properly deal with "high level" saxophone repair. It's not difficult to resolder a post or glue in a pad, but it is very difficult to make the adjustments that the OP is probably going to need. If you aren't a woodwind tech, you probably won't know how to do them properly.

#24 ·
Hi all,

1. my initial training was as a classical saxophonist - could care less about it now, although my whole tone concept and setup tends towards concert, etc. What do you mean with the jazz player comment? That is pretty uninformed, in IMHO????

2. The weird comment aside, I have tried numberous Yanis and virtually all have had this low note gurgle. I'm told that gurgle is an indication that the mouthpiece needs to be pushed in farther. I don't get that, personally and it is the one thing that has prevented me from buying a Yani, which I consider to be a superb horn in every other respect.

Burt

#25 ·
Didn't really answer the what should I do part. If you have a trial period, I'd return the horn and find a decent dealer with whom to purchase from - particularly, in this economy if this guy treats you like the customer "isn't right" - you'd be better off trying someone else.

Burt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.