Sax on the Web Forum banner

Couturier Saxophones

50K views 94 replies 23 participants last post by  saxophender 
#1 ·
As announced:

THE MUSIC TRADE REVIEW December 9, 1922

See less See more
#90 ·
I have 2 Lyon and Healy saxophones marked "Couturier Model" and "made in Chicago". They came from my Grandfather and Great Uncle who played them in high school and college in the mid to late 1920's. The first is an Alto with the serial number A over 1426 over L. My Grandfather played it all the way through his years the University of Tennessee in the marching band. I played it in high school band about 25 years ago and it is definitely well loved. Some of the silver plating is wearing on the keys and the gold in the bell is very faint now. I am about to have it set up for my son to play in his middle school band. It does already have a cork blocking closed one of the alternate holes that isn't used today. I think it will probably require a complete overhaul which was quoted at about $650. However, I don't think I can find a better quality horn (sound wise) for less than that amount. It does have a cork blocking closed one of the alternate holes that isn't used today.

The second one is a C melody with serial number C over 13497 over L. It hasn't been played in probably 90 years. I opened the case today and it seems to have all of its original parts including the stopper plug on the end. The case has the plaque from the store where it was purchased in Knoxville TN. Other than some tarnish, this one seems to be in pretty good shape. It has white pads that are all there. There seems to be some interest that I have found in someone documenting serial numbers for the Couturier instruments. Does anyone know about this project? Would anyone be interested in recording these instruments or do they only document them if they are for sale? I am not interested in selling either one because they are family pieces. However, I am wondering if there is any value in the C Melody because of all the original pieces.

Also, once they are all polished, what is the best way to keep them shiny? A silver cloth?

When I was in middle school there wasn't anything like this group so nobody could really tell me about the type of horn I had. I just knew it was pretty and silver with beautiful engravings. Any more information you can point me towards about these models would be greatly appreciated!

#92 ·
It's a C-Mel. Not many of these come around.

Attachments