Sax on the Web Forum banner

Beautiful Baritone Playing

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Chunsoo 
#1 ·

Wow what an outstanding classical baritone saxophonist. Simply beautiful. Tell me what you think

#3 ·
I swear, Eb instruments are just too cool :)
I love classical bass saxophone as well. Andreas Van Zoelen is the man

#7 ·
Yes I love that one as well! Great to hear a classical tenor. Not so many of those. I really love to hear something other than alto here and there especially when the other saxes are just as beautiful

alto-focused and brilliant, very clear
tenor-warm and full/round
baritone-VERY full
soprano-sweet and soft
bass-powerful and warm

Why limit classical music?

#10 ·
You are clearly not listening to the right kind of classical music! It's not all Bach and Mozart...

#17 ·
Thanks Michael, and rosski47 too. I really enjoyed both vids.

I remember a post quite a while ago in which Jim Romain (drakesaxprof) recommended listening to cello music. These vids reminded me of that.
I've been told to listen to cello music as well by innumerable professional players and instructors (even a jazz tenor player and scat singer!). I think that the fact that cello has that unique mellow tone that is very neutral, brings cello above all instruments in being able to understand music itself better. With such a neutral instrument, you get to hear the phrasing, bowing, and dynamics to their true extent and not to what the instrument does for the player.

#19 ·
I wonder how many cello players listen to Ronnie Cuber or Harry Carney to "get their sound"?
If you want to sound like a cello then play cello......
Being serious, what a great technique. Not really my cup of tea tho, if I want smooth cello type sounding baritone my choice would be Mulligan.
Oh, by the way is he playing a Yamaha? I didn't think top classical sax players played Yamaha........:TGNCHK:

#20 ·
Bear in mind that the "French" classical sound WAS the original tonal concept on saxophone. It may not be your cup of tea, but it is highly impressive within its genre. Classical saxophone tone owes much to a string-like timbre. I wouldn't compare Mulligan to a cello either. His tonal concept was made up of influences from Lester Young, barney Bigard, and Harry carney.

The great thing about the saxophone is the wide range of tonal colours at the player's and listener's disposal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.