Sax on the Web Forum banner

Pieces every saxophonist should own.

20K views 64 replies 35 participants last post by  Dannel 
#1 ·
I was thinking about this while ordering some new music.
I want some more ideas of stuff to buy, and I figured we could establish a running list of standards and what not.

It really can be anything, from the Eccles Sonata to the Maslanka Sonata, just anything you feel is a vital part of our repertoire!

#3 ·
Ibert - Concertino Da Camera
Glazunov - Concerto
Creston - Sonata
Ferling Etudes, which ever edition you prefer (I like the Marcel Mule ones because there are a couple of extras in the keys omitted by Ferling. I think that the Caravan edition is like this too.)

#9 ·
Great post! Maybe an admin should concider this to be a sticky. Repotoire is one of the hugest parts of a classical player.

I find that the Tableaux De Provence is one of the greatest saxophone solos.

#12 ·
Great post! Maybe an admin should concider this to be a sticky. Repotoire is one of the hugest parts of a classical player.
The OP said "own" Not "be able to play".... :)

Charlie

#13 ·
Yeah, but it is vital that one owns great amounts of classical playing. Music is diverse and in classical playing, unlike jazz, you try to interpret the emotions of the composer, not directly your own. In accumulating great sums of music, you acheive an understanding of the writer and the written.

#16 ·
I personally would like a sticky of this thread because there are pieces in the standard rep. that I haven't played and need to own in order to play later. All these pieces with the exception of Lessons of the Sky, which I do not know of, are staples of the classical rep. and could serve as a "master list" of future purchases for me.

P.S. Does anyone have anymore pieces to add?

#17 ·
Three more:

Denisov - Sonata (I'm surprised no one mentioned this.)
Creston - Concerto
I don't think anyone's mentioned the Heiden Sonata either.

#22 ·
Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy a new copy of these...

#23 ·
Here are a few more important pieces

Reuff: Chanson et Passepied
Lantier: Sicilienne
Handel: Sonata No. 3
Fasch: Sonatain C Major
Noda: Mai, Improvisations 1,2, and 3
Bonneau: Caprice en forme de valse
Tull: Saraband and Giogue
Muczynski: Sonata Op. 29
Gotkovsky: Brilliance
Boutry: Divertimento
Tcherepnine: Sonatine Sportive

#41 ·
Kevin, I'm not familiar with Quattro Pezzi by Scelsi. Do you mean Tre Pezzi, or is Quattro Pezzi a different piece? If so, is it available? I have played Tre Pezzi and it is one of my favorites.

The only other Scelsi piece I know of that has made its way into the saxophone repertoire is Kya. It was originally for clarinet but many people play it on soprano saxophone.

Chris

#26 ·
Composers writing right this very moment are just as good as the composers of years past. Of course there is great contemporary music, but the farther back you go the easier it is to find because it takes time for music to disseminate and you have to wade through more music to find the truly great pieces. Wading through the music, though, is part of the fun.

#27 ·
I think John Harbison or John Corigliano need to be commissioned towrite some sax pieces.

If they both wrote pieces, you could play them both, and call it the concert of two Johns.:TGNCHK:

#30 ·
John Harbison has written a piece for saxophone called "San Antonio" (a great piece every saxophonist should own) and saxophone is included in his oboe concerto.

Since there were complaints of no "contemporary" rep:

1. Shrude-Renewing the Myth
2. Swerts-Klonos
3. Bero Sequenzas

etc.

#29 ·
Pieces by Singelee, Demesserman and the other members of A. Sax's ggg g unit. :twisted:

#32 ·
I love "Renewing the Myth", it's based on fragments of one of the paganini etudes mixed into atonality. Really great work, it's on sampen's shadows and dawning CD. It's also on the dinant competition this year as a compulsory work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.