Sax on the Web Forum banner

Super 20 Fan Club

318K views 1K replies 236 participants last post by  Instrument Attic 
G
#1 ·
We're baa-aaaack! Super 20 players, stand up and be counted.

Super 20 tenor, 364xxx, silver neck, brass bell, no pearls on the side :(

I've had this horn since 1974 (sophomore year high school). Dad paid $75 for the horn, then another $100 for a complete overhaul/relacquer (it needed it).

Despite what you may have read, these are very flexible horns, adaptable to all musical styles. The combination of the sterling silver neck along with bore taper/neck curve/bow curve allows the Super 20 tenors to bring out the best in a variety of mouthpiece setups.

#970 ·
Hi, I play on a Transitional Series 1 with full pearls (serial: 300xxx) alto that my grandfather bought in 1950/51. I received this sax for my 16th birthday from my aunt who had it out just for display. at this time I had only been playing sax (tenor) for a year and a half. I had no clue what I had just gotten. I did some research and found this amazing community of people that loved these king horns. In the case we found about 60-70 reeds that had been in the case for over 25 years. also, we found 2 runyon white mpcs. one alto and one tenor. Still to this day we have no clue why he had a Tenor mcp in his case. He didn't own a tenor and my father never saw him play one. also in the case was the certificate and some lyres. I feel so honored to own this sax and play it in my schools jazz combo and Pit orchestra. Its better that my selmers and I would never think about getting rid of something so beautiful.

#974 ·
I also have a 300xxx Super 20 I've been playing for a number of years and it's absolutely my go to number one horn. After a lot ($$$$) of experimentation I have found the Theo Wanne Shiva 9 with a Fibracell 4 works best for me. I just had a gig the other night sitting in with a rock band. When I needed rich mellow whole notes to fatten up the sound she sounded almost like a French Horn; When I had to solo at fff it was right there. I also own a 400xxx SilverSonic and an early Eastlake SilverSonic; but they really dont compare.

My only advice: Never sell that horn!

#971 ·
Just did a side by side comparison of my 300xx Super 20 to Wanne mantra silver and vintage. Thread on Saxophone makes and models "Have you tried a 2016-17 Theo Wanne sax?" Super 20? But of course.

#972 ·
I've had my Super 20 Silver Sonic tenor with gold inlay on the bell (372xxx) for about a month now and I absolutely love it. I sold my Selmer to help pay for it and have not regretted it one bit. Even my other band mates said they've noticed an improvement in tone and intonation. This horn can do anything!

#975 ·
Several months ago I had the sad task of cleaning out a commercial rental property (dayjob) that had been leased to a music store owned by an old man. Closed and abandoned due to health issues for about a year, I didn't expect to find much of value...but under a pile of broken, moldy cases was an early Eastlake tenor...flattened, with most of the keys and hardware in a trashbag. Found a King case without too much mold on it and tossed it in, not knowing what use it was. Got some $$$ saved, took it to my local tech, who may or may not have performed voodoo rituals or just plain sorcery...not sure.
I have named the result "Trashley", and is the most amazing horn I have ever played. Trying to find another underslung silver single-socket neck for her, but she still plays great with the mangled one!

Attachments

#976 ·
I wanted to bring to the attention of the fan club ( for those whom are forever looking for a neck) the fact that I have a solid silver overslung super 20 neck for dsale in the appropriate section.

Unless you have a late King Super 20 ( silversonic or not) or a 2416 you need the prong on the body to be slightly extended to fit an overslung neck ( a good repairman will do this in a very unobtrusive and reversible way).

Send me a PM if you are interested.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...lung-Late-Super-20-tenor-neck-(single-socket)

#979 ·
Looks like 283190 which would make it a Series 1, which is almost the same as at the Z Special, but the only thing "special" about this one is how especially terrible it looks. Beat up school horn worked on by at least one hack tech. And to think someone paid $2370 for it.

Auto part Cylinder Engineering Metal Musical instrument

#981 ·
You? I am not aware of any Super 20 arbiter elegantiarum out there!

Cleaning ( the dirt or oxidation , not removing anything) and restoring it to functionality would do nothing to diminish its value it will certainly increase it , the only thing that woud seriously affect value is delacquering and buffing it or replating it.

Always publish pictures when asking for advise based on identification or looks.

#982 · (Edited)
Guessing an epic thread like this can not really be necroed, so just piping in with my '71 Eastlake Silversonic tenor. Nowhere near mint/pristine condition; with the widespread wear, fixes here and there, unceremonious engraving and flaky bell lacquer, it's definitely a player more than it is a looker.

Still, this is love. WHAT a player. [emoji3590]

#986 ·
I have a 1946 Series 1 alto. It's my main horn. I love playing it! Here's a photo:
View attachment 252806
I can't tell if the low B and B-flat have engraving?
Looks a bit like mine except I don't have the triple sax strap loops and mine is Silver Bell.
Do you mind me asking what you paid for it? When did you get it?

#997 ·
I've got my horn back!
It was repadded with Chanu pads from France with metal resonates.

The horn plays amazing, beautiful rich tone and can play very loud!!
I love it and find it really comfortable to play!
Altissimo register is easy to get too.
I played for years Conn NW and NWII, I love these too but I have to say wow this beast, the super 20 is an awesome horn!!
Definitely keeping this and playing it as my main horn.
I play a lot of early jazz too and I'll keep my NW I for it.

It was a lot of money, I got it for 2500$ on Ebay but it is really worth it!

#1,006 ·
Can you share the link to the original ebay listing so we may see the rest of the images?

I've got my horn back!
It was repadded with Chanu pads from France with metal resonates.

The horn plays amazing, beautiful rich tone and can play very loud!!
I love it and find it really comfortable to play!
Altissimo register is easy to get too.
I played for years Conn NW and NWII, I love these too but I have to say wow this beast, the super 20 is an awesome horn!!
Definitely keeping this and playing it as my main horn.
I play a lot of early jazz too and I'll keep my NW I for it.

It was a lot of money, I got it for 2500$ on Ebay but it is really worth it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.