Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 81
  1. #61
    Grimmell73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Moderate town, Kansas
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    So far, what I am enjoying most about your project is the different colors that each mouthpiece can coax out of the soprano. I've always known there was an oboe-like sound, which seems to come from the Drakes and a few others; there's a flute-like sound from Caravan (not on your site, but probably familiar), and now a clarinet-like sound from the Ishimoris. To my ear, the Sopranoplanet Missing Link does the best job of carving out a saxophone-like sound that is distinct from the other three instruments. Thank you for the interesting comparisons!
    Think in shades of gray; act in black and white; dream in color.

  2. #62
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmell73 View Post
    So far, what I am enjoying most about your project is the different colors that each mouthpiece can coax out of the soprano. I've always known there was an oboe-like sound, which seems to come from the Drakes and a few others; there's a flute-like sound from Caravan (not on your site, but probably familiar), and now a clarinet-like sound from the Ishimoris. To my ear, the Sopranoplanet Missing Link does the best job of carving out a saxophone-like sound that is distinct from the other three instruments. Thank you for the interesting comparisons!
    Where's the Gaia fall in your descriptions of the tones? I'm curious............

  3. #63
    Grimmell73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Moderate town, Kansas
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    I'd say it leans oboe, but not very much. I'm thinking the Drake Son of Slant (which I used to use, by the way) has a sound clip that most clearly illustrates the oboe-like sound. There are hints of that on the Gaia as well, but usually at the end of phrases, when you're lowering the volume. In the middle of the phrases it sounds more like the Sopranoplanet.

    Actually, if we could get several participants, I'd be willing to run the statistics to puzzle out how many dimensions there are to the sounds of these different mouthpieces. It'd be worth my while to put something concrete on the different terms we all use, like "warm" and "bright."
    Think in shades of gray; act in black and white; dream in color.

  4. #64
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmell73 View Post
    I'd say it leans oboe, but not very much. I'm thinking the Drake Son of Slant (which I used to use, by the way) has a sound clip that most clearly illustrates the oboe-like sound. There are hints of that on the Gaia as well, but usually at the end of phrases, when you're lowering the volume. In the middle of the phrases it sounds more like the Sopranoplanet.

    Actually, if we could get several participants, I'd be willing to run the statistics to puzzle out how many dimensions there are to the sounds of these different mouthpieces. It'd be worth my while to put something concrete on the different terms we all use, like "warm" and "bright."
    Thanks, that's interesting. I never thought of relating the soprano sound to other instruments although I have at times hear a soprano that sounds like an oboe or a tenor that sounds like a bassoon. I've actually been thinking of going through my sound clips and trying to pick out clips that are examples of descriptive terms. Bright, dark, hollow, rich,fat, thin, ect...........

  5. #65
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Wow, it's been a year since I tried a new soprano mouthpiece..........I'm slacking.

    Today I put up a new review and sound clip of a Navarro Maestra soprano sax mouthpiece. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2013/0...ne-mouthpiece/

  6. #66
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Wow, It's been a long time since my last soprano mouthpiece review. I put up one tonight of a Absolute Soprano + mouthpiece which I really enjoyed a lot. Great playing mouthpiece. It has a very unique and cool sound to it. It reminds me a lot of Bill Evans when you really blow although I didn't do too much of that in the sample clip. I felt it leaned more toward that Bill Evans type soprano sound..........http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2013/1...ne-mouthpiece/

  7. #67
    Tonycurvedsoprano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Va Beach VA
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    [QUOTE=Tom Goodrick;1244344]I keep hacking away at the sop looking for any Universal Truths that may be lurking out there. Compared to the other saxes I have played (including alto years ago), the soprano is unique in that:

    1) There is no universal STANDARD sound for a given horn and setup.
    2) The sound you get from a setup depends on YOU, not anybody else.
    3) The sound perceived by a listener is always different than that perceived by the player so our efforts to taylor our sound to what we think listeners will like are doomed to failure.

    The bottom line is that we should try a variety of low-cost mouthpieces, reeds and ligs and then pick what we are most happy with considering 1) our perceived tone, 2) intonation and 3) articulation.


    Tom I like your train of though, that's just the way I ve been going about it and I must say it's working

  8. #68

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    I just listened to the Gerber today...it sounds great! Now I'm going to have to listen to all the others...for the 10th time. ??
    Yanagisawa A9935, Jody Jazz DV NY 7
    Yanagisawa S990, Looking for a piece
    Yamaha YTS 62II, Vandoren V16 T8

  10. #70
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by minous View Post
    I just listened to the Gerber today...it sounds great! Now I'm going to have to listen to all the others...for the 10th time. ??
    The Gerber has been on my soprano since the review.............

  11. #71
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Posted a review and sound clip of the new Gaia 2 soprano saxophone mouthpiece by Theo Wanne today. In my opinion Theo has really done something incredible with the Gaia and Gaia 2 large chamber mouthpieces for the soprano sax. I don't think I will ever go back to one of those pea shooter type chambers again...........

    http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...hpiece-review/

  12. #72
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    A bunch of you that have Gaia soprano mouthpieces asked me to do a heads up comparison of the Gaia with the Gaia 2. I was able to do that this morning. Hope it helps! I am interested in what you think before I have to send these back to Theo.........

    http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...x-mouthpieces/

  13. #73
    Forum Contributor 2008 DaveR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Thanks Steve. Gaia 2 sounds better to me.



  14. #74
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Thanks Steve. Gaia 2 sounds better to me.
    Thanks Dave. I decided to keep the Gaia 2. I'll play it for a month and see where it takes me and then try the Gaia 1 again to see what's what............

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Steve: I've enjoyed your mouthpiece reviews & clips over the years & always learn a lot from them. If you'll accept a very subjective opinion from a guy who has played soprano sax on and off for 40 years... The Gaia 1 clip sounds like a saxophone -- a little thin, a little edgy, firmly in the sax ballpark. The Gaia 2 clip sounds like a human voice singing -- warmer, more expressive, nuanced. I found myself responding emotionally to the tone of the Gaia 2. Now I really wanna try one.

  16. #76
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    13,007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    I liked the #2 mouthpiece with the softer 3-reed. What is the tip-opening on these pieces (the number 7 doesn't tell much about that). DAVE
    Dave

  17. #77
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    I liked the #2 mouthpiece with the softer 3-reed. What is the tip-opening on these pieces (the number 7 doesn't tell much about that). DAVE
    The 7 is .065 tip opening. Thanks for your input Dave.

  18. #78
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by sopsax View Post
    Steve: I've enjoyed your mouthpiece reviews & clips over the years & always learn a lot from them. If you'll accept a very subjective opinion from a guy who has played soprano sax on and off for 40 years... The Gaia 1 clip sounds like a saxophone -- a little thin, a little edgy, firmly in the sax ballpark. The Gaia 2 clip sounds like a human voice singing -- warmer, more expressive, nuanced. I found myself responding emotionally to the tone of the Gaia 2. Now I really wanna try one.
    Thanks sopsax! That is very helpful. Steve

  19. #79
    Mirek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Warsaw/Bournemouth
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    I like Gaia 2 with too hard reed 3 1/2. Warm, smooth, more body, not so edgy, darker sound.
    JK SX90R BN tenor, JK SX90R BN alto, JK SX90ll BN soprano, JK 1300 SX90 BN soprano, Yanagisawa A9937 alto, Selmer MKVI '64 alto

  20. #80
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I like Gaia 2 with too hard reed 3 1/2. Warm, smooth, more body, not so edgy, darker sound.
    Thanks! Although the reed felt pretty hard for me I really liked something on that clip also........

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge