Sax on the Web Forum banner

Intonation on King Super 20 tenors; good, bad, or ugly?

• I don't/wouldn't play a Super 20 because of poor intonation

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Super 20s have poor intonation but I play one anyway because of other qualities

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Intonation on a Super 20s is not great but acceptable

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • Nothing wrong whatsoever with Super 20s. You squeak for posting this thread/poll

Votes: 69 67.6%

King Super 20 tenors and intonation

29K views 79 replies 54 participants last post by  geoffroach 
#1 ·
King Super 20 tenors don't exactly have a reputation for spot on intonation. I am curious to hear thoughts on just how bad it is. I do not have perfect pitch but good relative pitch. I check my tuning on a tuner when I practice. Based on this experience, I would say that the intonation of Super 20 tenors certainly could be better but it is not a problem in a sense that it dampens my enthusiasm for these horns or holds me back.

What are your thoughts? Also, in anyone thinks there is a noticeable difference during the run, I would be interested to hear about what they might be.

I have attached a poll. I am assuming that answers either rely on perfect pitch or checking intonation on a tuner for the sake of objectivity. For obvious reasons, please don't vote if you haven't played at least one.

PS: Please excuse the typo in the poll. I am typographically challenged.

#71 ·
My 293K Zephyr, which is supposedly structured much like the S20, seems no different from Conn 10Ms. I’ve read complaints on SOTW about almost every horn made.

Think I’ll be a troll for a couple months and start a dozen discussions disparaging the Mark VI. Maybe get their prices down a few grand, in line with the improved intonation VII.

#77 ·
As a repair tech I get to play many horns. Recently I played a (I believe) 305xxx Super 20 Tenor that I overhauled in black roo's and tenor madness resos. I will say after I got done it was scary how great it was. Like great tone, took any amount of air (or how little) you wanted to give it (all with a great even tone), AND more specifically about intonation, with my tuner in front of me, everything was spot on with no embrosure fluxuations. My mark vi playing son tried it and his exact words were "too perfect". I explained to him at 21 I'm sure if he wants to put forth effort effort, go for it. At almost 50 I'm like "the less effort I have to do to make a great sound the better".

#78 · (Edited)
As a repair tech I get to play many horns. Recently I played a (I believe) 305xxx Super 20 Tenor that I overhauled in black roo's and tenor madness resos. I will say after I got done it was scary how great it was. Like great tone, took any amount of air (or how little) you wanted to give it (all with a great even tone), AND more specifically about intonation, with my tuner in front of me, everything was spot on with no embouchure fluctuations...
Amen. I had a 320xxx Super 20 that was rebuilt by Aaron Barnard, and that was my experience as well. Great horn. In contrast, I sold my Selmer Balanced Action, in part because of its sharp bell notes - there's just no way to make the horn longer.

P.S. and OBTW, I see that I already posted in this thread several years ago (post #37). This message is brought to you by the Department of Repetitive Redundancy Department.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.