2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: P.Mauriat 66R/67R club.

Loving my 66RGL, I'm a Couf Superba 1 man to the core, but this is the closest modern thing to it. I just acquired a Vandoren V16 T95 metal and I'm digging it. I'm curious to know what other Mpcs guys are using on their 66R's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Datsaxguy View Post
    Loving my 66RGL, I'm a Couf Superba 1 man to the core, but this is the closest modern thing to it. I just acquired a Vandoren V16 T95 metal and I'm digging it. I'm curious to know what other Mpcs guys are using on their 66R's
    I've never owned a 66 Tenor since the reach to the left hand pinky table always felt too long for me but I believe Tim at Sax Alley is recommending the Phil-Tone Tribute with these tenors. That would make some sense to me. I traded my Mauriat Sys-76 for a Tenor Madness Custom tenor which Tim tells me it has a very similar bore to the 66R and presently my favorite piece on it is a refaced STM Link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 66r too and it's been my main axe for about four years now. I recently, switched from a vandoren t10 to a t11 hard rubber and it's a beast!!! It's like packing a desert eagle!?? Fat husky and powerful.....very Sonny Rollins I might add.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    I've never owned a 66 Tenor since the reach to the left hand pinky table always felt too long for me but I believe Tim at Sax Alley is recommending the Phil-Tone Tribute with these tenors. That would make some sense to me. I traded my Mauriat Sys-76 for a Tenor Madness Custom tenor which Tim tells me it has a very similar bore to the 66R and presently my favorite piece on it is a refaced STM Link.

The tribute is nice but it does not have enough power and is a little dark for my playing situation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Datsaxguy View Post
    The tribute is nice but it does not have enough power and is a little dark for my playing situation
    Yeah - despite liking the Link sound in my studio much of my gigging is done on a Jody Jazz DV Chi for the same reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the club. Owned a PXMT 66 rul. But would not buy an unlaquered again. Or not wipe down too much the finish. Then you got to much verdigris.
    The sound ist great with OL 8* mpc and Vandoren Jazz 2 reeds.
    By the way. Do we have a database with serial numbers of p.m. saxes?

SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once in a while you get something done that makes a BIG difference and you like to pass it along.

I sent one of my older 66RGL tenors to Tenor Madness to get new pads and a complete “setup”. They installed Pisoni pads and their TM Brass resonators. As a result, I just mailed my 2nd 66 to get the same setup. The 66 that I just got back never sounded this good in all respects.

I asked TM to setup a Mark VII years ago and it played like never before so I knew what Thomas and the staff could do to improve a tenor.

I am sure there are other repair facilities that do an excellent job. I just started with TM with the VII and it paid off so I returned to them again.

Just something to consider if you have a 66, or any other model for that matter. A complete setup with these new pads and TM’s “tweaking” sure makes a big improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John Laughter View Post
    Once in a while you get something done that makes a BIG difference and you like to pass it along.

I sent one of my older 66RGL tenors to Tenor Madness to get new pads and a complete “setup”. They installed Pisoni pads and their TM Brass resonators. As a result, I just mailed my 2nd 66 to get the same setup. The 66 that I just got back never sounded this good in all respects.

I asked TM to setup a Mark VII years ago and it played like never before so I knew what Thomas and the staff could do to improve a tenor.

I am sure there are other repair facilities that do an excellent job. I just started with TM with the VII and it paid off so I returned to them again.

Just something to consider if you have a 66, or any other model for that matter. A complete setup with these new pads and TM’s “tweaking” sure makes a big improvement.
    I know what you're saying John. I still have my 67R alto but I traded my Sys-76 tenor for a TM Custom Tenor. Randy and the guys really know how to set a horn up. I've been told the TM Custom uses the same body tube as the 66R with some modifications done to the key work that makes it feel a little smaller and more "Selmerish" in the hands. The only other place I'd send a Mauriat for major work would be Sax Alley. They were the original P. Mauriat dealer and know these horns better than anyone. I'm lucky to have them as my local shop as they really do excellent work as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Keith. Jim told me about the TM Custom and I talked with Randy about it as well. It sounds like a real nice tenor. I will see a friend in Philly in Feb who will have one at the gig. He bought the un-lacquered model and says it plays by itself so I am really interested in giving it a test drive to compare the two tenors. Sax Alley has an excellent reputation. I have tried some of their sax necks over the years. Very helpful. Good to know that you are liking the TM Custom. Looking forward to playing it next month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Keith. Jim told me about the TM Custom and I talked with Randy about it as well. It sounds like a real nice tenor. I will see a friend in Philly in Feb who will have one at the gig. He bought the un-lacquered model and says it plays by itself so I am really interested in giving it a test drive to compare the two tenors. Sax Alley has an excellent reputation. I have tried some of their sax necks over the years. Very helpful. Good to know that you are liking the TM Custom. Looking forward to playing it next month.
    I'd be curious to know what you think, especially with all the experience you have on the 66R. I have an unlacquered version as well and it does blow very easily - literally shocking how well it plays. I wasn't horn shopping at all. I just stop by Sax Alley during my Spring Break (I'm basically the Chair of the Computer Networking program at Front Range Community College) last March for something and Tim had a few of them up on his wall. He had just gotten them in from TM and said that Sax Alley was one of only 4-5 shops in the country that Randy had chosen to be dealers. I suspect like yourself, I try horns when I have the opportunity to just to see what they're about, not really with the idea of buying one.

I've only played 2 different tenors since 1990 so I'm not really a horn switcher but these TM Customs played so well it was stunning. He had two unlacquered and two with dark lacquer one each with and without the F#. The unlacquered with the F# was amazing and I should have asked Tim to set it aside for me but at the time I hadn't yet figured out how I was going pay for it. A guy came in to pick up his VI from getting adjusted that afternoon and bought it on the spot. I traded my Sys-76 and some cash for the unlacquered without the F#.

Randy gets the bodies and key work from Taiwan but then basically takes the horns apart and completely rebuilds them. They put nearly 24 hours of bench time into it which makes a huge difference as you're well aware from your own experience. Sax Alley does nearly the same with the Mauriats which is why for the first 3-4 years while they were the only dealer you almost never read a bad review of a Mauriat. I tried convincing myself to buy a 66R a few times. I really like the way that horn sounds but the reach to the left-hand pinky table is too long for me. The key work on the TM just suits me a lot better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again Keith. I will let you know the results. I will see my friend the first week of Feb and he said he wants me to test it and he wants to play my 66 just to compare them. Not sure what brand tenor he was playing the last time we gigged together but he did not have a high F#. Not sure if his new TM has F# or not.

Like you I am not a horn switcher. Can't afford it but I have had several brands over the years including Yamaha and Selmer but the 66 (for me) simply out played them. Powerful sound.

Who knows. I might be doing a trade in like you if the TM sounds better than the 66. Thanks for the update!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got an overhaul on my VI alto and am playing some other stuff out of curiosity to see what's out there for the first time in fifteen years. I can't believe how even the PM line is across the range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a PM owner yet but expect to be some day. I noticed this listing for an Alto 67 on ebay for a horn missing some of the key signatures that I have observed on all the PM horns I have seen prior: Treble clef in the bell brace, and the bell engraving are both absent. The bell is stamped "France" where you would normally see "Paris" and the "Tokyo" stamp is missing. The horn looks relatively new as if to have been manufactured during a time when these characteristics would normally be in place. I questioned the seller on this matter but have yet to receive an answer. Anyone have an explanation?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112329550317...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maticulus View Post
    I'm not a PM owner yet but expect to be some day. I noticed this listing for an Alto 67 on ebay for a horn missing some of the key signatures that I have observed on all the PM horns I have seen prior: Treble clef in the bell brace, and the bell engraving are both absent. The bell is stamped "France" where you would normally see "Paris" and the "Tokyo" stamp is missing. The horn looks relatively new as if to have been manufactured during a time when these characteristics would normally be in place. I questioned the seller on this matter but have yet to receive an answer. Anyone have an explanation?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112329550317...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Yeah, something is definitely "fishy" with this listing. The one picture is of an actual vintage or dark lacquered Mauriat 67R alto but the other pictures (the close-ups) are of a different horn that to me looks like a knock-off. I'd stay away from this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, something is definitely "fishy" with this listing. The one picture is of an actual vintage or dark lacquered Mauriat 67R alto but the other pictures (the close-ups) are of a different horn that to me looks like a knock-off. I'd stay away from this one.
    Thanks, I had no intentions of buying it but wanted to confirm my suspicions were well placed as opposed to the possibility of it being a first iteration difference. There were some YAS 875 EX and Yanigasawa copies taken down off ebay earlier this year which will likely put a damper over the many used examples I've seen offered from Japan as of late. If you've spent anytime watching the ESCAPE channel, you'll know that criminal enterprise knows no bounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone ponied up over $1500 for it.

I got one last weekend for my son along with a matching tenor. He tried a 76 tenor at the music store & really liked it. I got both horns for less than what they were asking for the tenor at the store. We received the alto yesterday. I was nervous because it came from a general vender, but the pictures were perfect & they had a 30 day money back policy. The horn looks perfect & plays good. I'll take it in for a full inspection next week when the tenor gets here.

The tenor is coming from a sax vender that has a ton of good feedback including $6k Selmers. He described it as "New unused". I'll be happy if it's in the same or better condition than the alto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious to know what other Mpcs guys are using on their 66R's
    RPC 120B

I'd be curious to know what you think, especially with all the experience you have on the 66R. I have an unlacquered version as well and it does blow very easily - literally shocking how well it plays.
    Keith I did play it for a few minutes. Nice tenor. Full sound and free blowing. And if pushed, can raise the roof. He has the model without the high F# key. He is really liking it. He was also very impressed with the response of my 66. Very impressed but that really has to do with the new pads and TM's tweaking.

It was a nice trip to Philly for the two gigs but cold!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schrup View Post
    Someone ponied up over $1500 for it.

I got one last weekend for my son along with a matching tenor. He tried a 76 tenor at the music store & really liked it. I got both horns for less than what they were asking for the tenor at the store. We received the alto yesterday. I was nervous because it came from a general vender, but the pictures were perfect & they had a 30 day money back policy. The horn looks perfect & plays good. I'll take it in for a full inspection next week when the tenor gets here.

The tenor is coming from a sax vender that has a ton of good feedback including $6k Selmers. He described it as "New unused". I'll be happy if it's in the same or better condition than the alto.
    Did you get one that looks like the horn in first picture of the complete horn with the all white background or the one shown in the close-ups because they are clearly two different horns. The horn pictured with the white background is an official P. Mauriat for sure, the other I have serious doubts about.

I don't believe whoever paid $1400+ knew what they were looking at. The description doesn't even match the horn in most of the pictures as it says "hand engraving on the bell and bow" - there's no engraving on the horn shown in the close-up pictures. As Maticulus points out there are several other things that are "off" about it. That's not to say that this horn doesn't play well. It may even come from the same factory the Mauriats are made in. I'm just not convinced it's an official P. Mauriat branded horn.

I presently own a 67R alto and owned a Sys 76 tenor for several years. I like the sound of both though I don't play much alto these days and I traded the 76 for Tenor Madness Custom tenor that I felt fit me better in terms of the keywork. I'm sure he'll enjoy them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keith I did play it for a few minutes. Nice tenor. Full sound and free blowing. And if pushed, can raise the roof. He has the model without the high F# key. He is really liking it. He was also very impressed with the response of my 66. Very impressed but that really has to do with the new pads and TM's tweaking.

It was a nice trip to Philly for the two gigs but cold!
    Glad you got a chance to try the TM.

Sorry about Philly - you should have come here to Colorado. We are getting a little weather tonight but it's been between 70 & 80 for most of March - ridiculously warm for us. We're lining up to have a whopper of a fire season if it stays as dry as it has been.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast