Viking
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    I live in the capital of the sun(the musicians cementery)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking P.Mauriat 66R/67R club.

I've seen that there is a club for the Selmers,Yamahas,yanis etc...Why not start a club for the P Mauriat's 66R/67R.What do you think about these saxophones?I've owned my old mark VI,yamaha 62 and 82z yanagisawa a992 and i recently put another thread asking about the differences between the p mauriat 67r and selmer reference 54,because I have never played this one.I've also played many 82's z with different finish and yanis 901,991 etc.and the 67R UL is by far the best alto saxophone that I've ever played.Fat,powerfull easy nice ergonomics intonation is dead on.I 've been playing this saxophone since september last year and I love it.Anyway who else is in this club? (did I mention fat sounding?)
    TELESFORO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: P.Mauriat 66R/67R club.

Hi Telesforo

I'd say it's about time for a Mauriat club. Maybe including other models too. I too have played many Yamaha, Yanagisawa and Selmer saxes before changing to the Mauriat. My main saxes before the Mauriat were a VI and a 62. Now I only use the Mauriats (alto and tenor rolled tone hole) in the vintage finish. I agree with all your points regarding the fatness of the sound, the smooth action and intonation.
    The 66/67 saxes have a broader, darker sound to my ear than the Selmers. They put me in mind of an old Conn my teacher used to play, I think it might have been a 10M. The action on the PM feels so much better than on the new References. I understand that Selmer wanted to hark back to the glory days of the VI, but doing things like replace the front F with a VI style pearl touch doesn't make sense, to me at least.
    If you haven't yet, try to play test a System 76. These horns are brighter and more focused than the 66/67 and many people have compared them to a VI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the PM UL tenor and find it to be super - I recently tried a PM UL alto, however, and was disappointed. It was the 3rd rolled PM tone hole alto that I have tried and was the best BUT even after much work by my fine tech, the low c sharp, c, and b gurgled! I tried everything from different mouthpieces, reeds, mouthpiece angles, pushing in/pulling out the mouthpiece, etc. I just couldn't be comfortable with that one issue, whereas my tenor just plays. Too bad, I loved the sound also - so, I've got a used Keilwerth, SXr, black coming, hopefully, that will be the ticket on alto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rossbu View Post
    I have the PM UL tenor and find it to be super - I recently tried a PM UL alto, however, and was disappointed. It was the 3rd rolled PM tone hole alto that I have tried and was the best BUT even after much work by my fine tech, the low c sharp, c, and b gurgled! I tried everything from different mouthpieces, reeds, mouthpiece angles, pushing in/pulling out the mouthpiece, etc. I just couldn't be comfortable with that one issue, whereas my tenor just plays. Too bad, I loved the sound also - so, I've got a used Keilwerth, SXr, black coming, hopefully, that will be the ticket on alto.
    Hi Rossbu

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the alto. I sounds like you had serious leakage on those keys. I'm surprised the tech couldn't fix it. When I got my 67R alto I chose it over quite a few others of the same model. They all played great from top to bottom, full tone subtone, altissimo. The one I walked out with that felt right for me. I hope you can check out a good PM alto some day. Enjoy the JK.

(formerly borganiboy) Borganiboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have owned MK6's,Yam's,Borgani,JK's and more and went from a Silver Serie 3 tenor to a 66R Tenor then a Yam Z Tenor to my now 66RUL Tenor and love the 66R's.Cant see me ever changing again on tenor.Fantastic sound,so big and full.I have not tryed a 67R Alto yet but would like a 67RUL in the future.The 66r's are modern day classic's to me and will be future classic's also.
    Wedding Solo Sax www.smoothsaxsound.com Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.dbsoundproject.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/db-sound-project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up my 66R a few days ago, and it was love at first note...this horn freakin Rox my Sox. Absolutely love it, and ran circles around the Yamaha Z it replaced...now my dilemma is whether I sell my 875EX alto to get a 67R..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count me in on the Mauriat club...
    I have been using this horn for about a year now, moving from a JK SX90R...a horn which was beset by so many problems that every day it would "whats gonna go wrong, drop off now ??? " Great for such an expensive professional horn.....
    ..........and before that a SA80 II....Which is what it is..and does what it does..and before that too many to go into here....
    I can honestly say the sound of the PM 66R is the best...(so far)...for me.
    I do have my reservations as to the build quality and therefore the longevity of these horns, but only time will tell that....
    At the time I was looking for a horn that would work in many a differing context, that didnt just have one sound but many.
    One that could be moulded to be sweet and pure at one moment, to be a raging roar the next, and from the past few months travels having done a large number of gigs and really putting this sax through its paces.....From total Brotzmann style "free blowouts" to contemporary classical "Tonal.....small sounds concerts....." with string platyers, to "jazz vocal" Qt standards work, this horn has worked well in every context and provided me with a few surprises along the way..which has been the fun part, discovering new sounds and textures..
    So far this has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience and I would not hesitate to recomend these horns to others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi people...

I'll join the club!!! Owner of: 66RUL 67RX and now I am looking at 66RG and 67RUL...all great great horns...great players...

dealing with fact it is a Taiwanese horn, I was a bit suspicions in purchasing that horn...but then I tried it!!! an I loved it!!!....

RUL horn is wild one...huge tone, lot of overtones lot of everything...but I played one gig recently on 66RG model with jodyjazz 7 HR* piece and I got outstanding tone...I am considering now to sell my RUL tenor and take RG...

so...thumbs up for R series!!!

P.S. other series play also great...60NS tenor -> killer sound!!!
    P.mauriat PMXA-67RX - Vintage Dark Lacquer - silver key touches...hhmmmm...me like it!
    P.mauriat PMT-RUL - ...OMG!!! one mtfc'n great player!!! cant't belive...my new baby

Forum Contributor 2011 Nobby Keys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And me.

Bought a PMXT-66RUL Tenor last October, great sax and glad I bought it. I played a Series III for 8 years and things, mostly corks were always coming loose or falling off entirely. I have not had a maintenance issue with the PM.

Currently playing it with a LAW Buzzer 8* in 3 different bands and styles, rock, blues and jazz.

Would not hesitate to recommend anyone to try one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 66RUL is about 6 month's old now and the Patina is looking great.I not had 1 problem yet with my Mauriat Beast,all working great.No leak's,no nothing.It is the ultimate tenor sound for me,big,full of ball's,dark and can rock the rafter's at 1 swift shift.Forget were it's made,Mauriat got this horn sorted and they got a sure winner.Long live the 66R Club.
    Wedding Solo Sax www.smoothsaxsound.com Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.dbsoundproject.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/db-sound-project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67RUL here. After trying quite a few different horns before buying this one I kept coming back to it. I had to play it again and hear what the difference was. Granted you have a hard enough time trying to explain what it is you're searching for in the sound to someone else, let alone recalling what you think you heard from the horns at the other shop you went to a few days ago. But it was always there. Something I heard in the sound of the RUL. Will it turn greeeeeeeen? Yeah, maybe. Maybe not. All I know is my hunt for whatever it is you quantify makes up the sound you're after, culminated in this instrument.

Thanks to Al Asmus. I've discovered that I can indeed smile while playing a saxophone.

Harv

Official Spender of Too Much Time on SOTW/P. Mauriat Fanatic jmoen3's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes.

I have been the proud owner of a 67R for a year and a half now. Its the greatest horn I have ever played! Gives me that huge deep sound that I'm looking for and great ergos and ease of play!

And now I am the proud member of this club .
    P. Mauriat 67R DK Alto and CE Winds S/A/T
    Drake NY Jazz 7 Alto, Yani HR 7 Soprano and Jody Jazz ESP .120 Tenor
    My Soundclick Recordings
    -Jared

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried a 66RUL or two. Lovely but better with a 60NS neck. Can I join the club even if I didn't buy one?
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & HUNDREDS OF ONLINE TUTORIALS | FREE CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how does the 76! compare to the 66url?....what is the main difference in sound etc!!..
    Is it as good as the 66?.
    any thougths
    bs gunning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat58 View Post
    how does the 76! compare to the 66url?....what is the main difference in sound etc!!..
    any thougths
    Hi Bry, well for me the 76 is more compact or focused sound like a MK6 and it's great but for me who has had a Keilwerth and a Borgani the 66RUL is more in that big wide spread out sound which i like more.They are more in the Conn sound scape say.The 66rul has more depth of tone and can take more air,you can keep going,going and going and it just soar's.You feel like there's no wall to hit when blowing as it can take all you give and is a power house of a sax.Both are very free blowing but for me like i have said before and have had many sax's and mk6's the 66rul is the best tenor sound for me.Palm key's are so fat and responce over the whole sax is outstanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heres what I think of P Mauriat horns!
    SAXOPHONE REVIEW

P MAURIAT SYSTEM 76 2ND EDITION TENOR SAXOPHONE

P MAURIAT PMXA-67RUL ALTO SAXOPHONE

ENDORSER and REVIEWER: ROGER MANINS

www.rogermanins.com

Date: 21.6.009

INTRODUCTION

There are certain values that I really appreciate in life. Honesty, integrity, respect, hard work, and etiquette. I also love to see the small guy doing great things, and taking on the big boys. So, when I came across the P Mauriat horns in 2008, I was very, very impressed. They have an amazing product, great ethics, and \are a company that listens and communicates with its endorsers, seeking an ever improved product. What more could you want?? This sort of thing really excites me as a player and as a human, and I am honored to be part of the P Mauriat Family as an endorser. I (haven’t we all) seen the progress of many good brands- Yamaha, Selmer, Yangisawa, Keilworth, however every time I have tried these horns (except older Selmers) I have found them very lacking in SOUND. In contrast, P Mauriat horns have plenty of sound- rich, luscious and filled with character (they also have fantastic key work, looks and intonation to boot)
    In my career there have been two horns; A mark 6 tenor which I played for 20 years and still use, and Conn 10M which has been my main horn for the last few years. Both these horns are and have been fantastic. The Mark 6 is serial 109000, and I have another mark 6 with 86000 serial. I actually played the 109000 horn with the 86000 neck! The Conn is from 1934- Naked Lady; both Killer horns. What I would like to say here, is that I was quite happy with what I had before I encountered P Mauriat horns, however, when I did, I was so impressed with the quality of workmanship, the price and the sound and feel of the horns that I wanted to own one and support this great company. I think of all those Saxophone players around the world facing the same problem: To find a killer horn they want to play, at a price they can afford! P Mauriat has the solution!. I fell in love with the 67RUL alto straight away when I tried it, and since then I am happy to say I have fallen in love with the System 76 tenor!! Now this is a great horn!!! I will write more specific to each horn below.

MODEL: PMXA-67RUL ALTO SAXOPHONE

I have for many years been searching for the right alto for me. I have owned several Selmer Balanced Action Altos- and I must say that of all the horns I have played, these have been the closest to what I am after sound wise (Dark Rich Warm Strong). Up until finding the P Mauriat 67RUL I was using my Selmer SBA Alto. I also have a King Super 20 and a Model 22 Selmer. None of these horns however were giving me what I wanted. The SBA Alto had the beautiful dark tone, but not the roundness and projection I wanted. The Super 20 had that killing soaring sound up top, but I wanted more depth and body in the low register. The Modele 22 a beautiful sound but needs more keys. I also owned a Conn New Wonder. This had a good sound, but still not what I wanted, and intonation and feel were lacking. TheYamaha Z series was another horn I tried. It was very good, but did not have the richness of sound I was looking for.
    Then I tried the PMXA 67-RUL. It ticked all the boxes. Firstly SOUND. It has that dark rich warm sound I have been looking for, but it is also HUGE. It says “Here I am!! Play me!! The Horn also SINGS like a super 20- you can feel it vibrating through your fingers. The intonation is GREAT! The action is FANTASTIC!-You just want to keep playing it. I love this horn! - In fact I am now playing a lot more alto n my performances and recordings because I love this horn so much! I have compared the 67RUL with many other horns, and I can confidently say that for me, the 67RUL is my pick, and without a doubt the best alto I have played.

MODEL: SYSTEM 76 2ND EDITION TENOR SAXOPHONE

Ok. So from my end there is some pretty stiff competition here. I own a well loved Mark 6 tenor, and a Conn 10M. So let’s state the facts.
    My Conn 10 M is brilliant- smoky broad sound, wonderful intonation.
    My #109000 Mk6 Tenor with the #86000 neck is a killer. It is an outstanding examples of this legend horn.
    My System 76 P Mauriat Tenor is a killer horn, easily comparable.
    The System 76 has captured all that is good in the mark 6 and made remarkable improvements. I was comparing it with my Mark 6 the other day with one of my student
    We both agreed to the following observations;
    The System 76 has a much bigger sound that my Mark 6, yet like the mark 6 it has a tone with wonderful richness and beautiful quality. There is just more of it in the 76, and the sound is warmer! We both agreed that overall the 76 sounds bigger and “better”, however my mark 6 has a different unique tonal quality in higher register- a more woody sound, and we know there is a lot of variation between M6’S. Really It comes down to what you like, and what sound you are looking for in a given situation. The action, altitissimo and intonation of the 76 is superb. It is a wonderful horn with a big fat warm sound, and really a pleasure to play. For quiet gigs the gorgeous sound of the 76 is just beautiful- and the control of the horn is no problem. For louder “blowing” gigs the 76 cuts through strong and fat, and the microphone is optional!
    Comparing the 10M with the 76 is like comparing a Aston Martin DB9to a 1955 Cadillac- you know what I mean. Both are great in their own way, and so different that perhaps it is better to appreciate them for the very different horns that they are! I have been mostly playing my 10M in the last few years as I like the action on it, and its big round, broad smoky sound, but now with the 76 I have a great horn with a bigger sound and richer tone (don’t get me wrong- I love the Conn and will keep using it when appropriate and I want that sound), but now I can go for a burn in the Aston Martin, or take a cruise in a vintage Caddy if I wish!

SUMMARY: I, and all my students who have tried the P Mauriat horns are astounded with what P Mauriat have achieved. They have created wonderful horns with character, accuracy, individuality, looks and fantastic action. These horns have appeal- so much so that I find myself often thinking about when I will get the chance to play them next! They make you want to practice! One thing I would encourage P Mauriat to do would be to engrave “MADE IN TAIWAN” in bold writing on the horns, as this is an achievement to be very proud of.

Roger Manins 21.6.2009

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mauriatboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat58 View Post
    any thougths
    Hi Bry, well for me the 76 is more compact or focused sound like a MK6 and it's great but for me who has had a Keilwerth and a Borgani the 66RUL is more in that big wide spread out sound which i like more.They are more in the Conn sound scape say.The 66rul has more depth of tone and can take more air,you can keep going,going and going and it just soar's.You feel like there's no wall to hit when blowing as it can take all you give and is a power house of a sax.Both are very free blowing but for me like i have said before and have had many sax's and mk6's the 66rul is the best tenor sound for me.Palm key's are so fat and responce over the whole sax is outstanding.
    A friend in a band i playin has the 66rul....and ive played it very impressive,overall, another friend has the 76 and that seems excellent too, what aminefield this game is ehh, if it a,int mouthpieces its saxes!!!!.
    Still thats the fun of it i guess, cheers mate.
    bs gunning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ultimate RUL question: will it turn green? YES IT WILL!!! It doesn't look good but it is just that with raw brass my is turning green a lot! some green dots (maybe I should clean him more often)

but...it is still a great player!!!
    P.mauriat PMXA-67RX - Vintage Dark Lacquer - silver key touches...hhmmmm...me like it!
    P.mauriat PMT-RUL - ...OMG!!! one mtfc'n great player!!! cant't belive...my new baby

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dund0 View Post
    the ultimate RUL question: will it turn green? YES IT WILL!!! It doesn't look good but it is just that with raw brass my is turning green a lot! some green dots (maybe I should clean him more often)

but...it is still a great player!!!
    I think much of how an unlacquered horn will age is determined by its environment. If you live by the sea or in a rainforest the result may be very different to an air conditioned apartment.

Also much would depend on the way you treat the horn. Is it left out on a stand, is it put away with or without swabbing the moisture.

All these things could determine whether it goes green, brown or beige with red spots.

I've said in anther thread, if I did buy a 66RUL (and I'm tempted) I'd see if they would custom make a lacquered one for me. Or else if that wasn't possible I'd get it lacquered if I could find a good lacquer shop.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & HUNDREDS OF ONLINE TUTORIALS | FREE CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, then it wouldn't be RUL version you take RX "Influence" and you'll get lacquered RUL ...maybe it is possible just to put one thin layer of some transparent stuff...

P.S. the holy time zones only Europeans chat at this time and next morning I see 20 posts of Americans

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast