Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Vintage Slant Link Thoughts

147K views 407 replies 100 participants last post by  whaler 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!
I just wanted to write my quick review of the new vintage slant, as I know a lot of people are interested in trying these and I hope this info will be helpful. I was following the info myself and had a chance to order from tenormaddness right after they got it in stock.:)

First of all I want to say that I'm a Tone Edge player myself. I have a bunch of different Links that I use including new and vintage models. As you know, these are not "chops in a box". Only after certain time spent in practice room you get to know how to play it and learn flexibility of each piece.

The Link I got from tenormaddnes is an amazing mouthpiece. :):):) It has very low serial number 0197 and it doesn't have USA on the shank. I've seen several pictures and all of them had USA. Interestingly mine doesnt. The baffle shape is very accurate and it goes very smoothe into the floor and chamber, no concavity, nothing. Rails are very accurate and table looks pretty flat to me. It appears to me that the chamber is slightly smaller due to more material under the table. And the floor height measures exactly the same as my Early Babitt. Identical.
Does it play identical? Well....the tone color is the same with different EQ in the high's. It doesn't necessarily means that it plays brighter, but boost in high's makes it feel so. Is the volume the same? No, it is definitely louder. You can still play pretty dark on it, and subtones are very lush and full. It can play as dark as my EB, but louder. This is the loudest Link I've ever played, it just projects! I believe it is due to a slightly smaller chamber and vintage like high floor.
How is the rubber quality I really don't know, looks fine to me. But basically this is a great piece and it definitely a winner for me. I'm still in process learning this piece and it get's better and better every day. First day when I was comparing it to my trusted old Early Babbitt I was not as happy as I'm today after playing it for a while. Today I compared it to EB and for some time I found EB to be a bit duller? Did I say that? Yes, it felt that way, no not brighter, but this new slant is somehow gets cleaner sound! Yes cleaner, I think this is the right word.
More time will show where it will go for me, but for now I just want to tell that it is a great mouthpiece and if you a Link player you really need to try it, I'm sure there will be opposite reviews, but for everyone it's different. What considered dark for one person- is bright for another and visa versa. All those things are very subjective and of course it's up to a player how you play it.
For me as a Link player it is very projective and loud with a good real Link core sound! Just wanted to get this info for those who interested and I hope this information will help you!
All have a great day! Peace :)

here are some pictures

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5219.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5221.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5224.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5227.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5235.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5240.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5243.jpg

See less See more
#315 ·
I have nothing against Rovner ligs. I have used several over the years and I actually have met and worked with Phil several times since I live in MD. I just assumed you were trying five different things since you posted five cuts and there was a listed difference in reeds. :) I still say the RJS sound better for you than the Java (and I usually prefer Java for myself so there you go...unbiased). ;-)

#316 ·
Hey Nitro -
back to the comparison of the NVS and V16 T8:

I have to say you sound better on the T8 in my personal opinion. I mean, you sound great on every clip, but the T8 stands out to me. If I had to desctibe the differences, I'd say they are pretty much what you'd expect from knowing the design of the two pieces:

NVS - seems to have a rounder, more spread core (hollower maybe...?)

T8 - more centered, brighter, but not harsh at all - sweeter sounding, but yet agressive at the same time (does that make sense...? it's not dull). The extra brightness makes it actually sound more lyrical. and you really sound more fluid through your lines.

Admittedly, the things that make the T8 stand out could just be the fact that your the most familar with that peice right now.

#317 ·
It's a hard choice for me and really it's so close I'm keeping both pieces...the Vandoren V16T8 piece (and the T9) let me get a smooth jazz-type sound when I want to...the NVS piece also is amazing and I like the timbre I get with it...Both pieces are sweet...I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable playing rock or smooth jazz-type stuff on the NVS ...YET....maybe after I work with it for a while....

Thanks for the kind comments!

Ryan

#318 · (Edited)
I've been playing an original Slant Link for a few years. I bought one of the new Slant Links hoping to use it as a back up piece. The new Slant played pretty good except it had fair response when playing the lower notes. Also, the new Slant played somewhat brighter than my old Slant. I sent the new Slant to Zulfugar Baghirov (SOTW member) for a reface. I'm not sure what he did but the lower note response is now GREAT, far better than most pieces that I've played. The refaced new Slant also had a darker tone but not as dark as my old Slant. I know that buying a new Slant ($130~$160) makes for a rather expensive blank to be refaced is crazy but if you already have one it's a good start towards a good playing piece. Zulf made minimal changes to the new Slant like balancing the rails, correcting the tip curvature and some work on the table. He said that it was his experience that a completely flat table on a rubber Link was not good for the character of tone so it was not completely flatted.

The new Slant with the reface plays great but the tone is not what my old Slant puts out. The old Slant tone has more character in it's sound. However, the new Slant is a very good playing piece and now is my backup thanks to Zulf's reface. Thank you Zulf.

#321 ·
The new Slant with the reface plays great but the tone is not what my old Slant puts out. The old Slant tone has more character in it's sound. However, the new Slant is a very good playing piece and now is my backup thanks to Zulf's reface. Thank you Zulf.
Hey Red, I almost hooked up w/ Zulf to work on my mpc, but I've been really working on my embouchure and it really seems to be helping me find the center of the mpc. If that makes any sense. I think for the first time in a while, I've been able to practice music instead of practice the saxophone. anyway, i agree w/ you about having a 'Loud" sound as opposed to a great sound. it seem to be a hard lesson to learn. i know it took me a while to figure that out.. I hate to say this but, I think I'm going to be playing this piece for a long time... -PH

#322 ·
Yea PH, they (new Slants) are great pieces. It's not that I don't like my refaced new Slant, it's just that I like the tonal character of my old Slant better. Zulf told me that he could get it to play like my old Slant with more time. He didn't mess with the tonal character at all during the reface. Zulf's the greatest!

#325 ·
Ya'know, not complaining but, I've been on this forum since last April and I'm just starting to "get it." For the newbie there are several functional conventions here that aren't intuitive in the least.

One is: Don't start reading at the end of a long thread if you are new to it and if you are at all interested in the theme of the title line. Most likely what you will find will have little or nothing to do with the title.

Just an observation, means little.

Best,
Rob

#328 ·
Just an update to this thread...here are the details of the NVS that I have. I had it measured by the famous Mr. Ishimori here in tokyo with all his high-tech gauges and stuff...
here is the skinny on my specific link if anyone is interested. Considering how random link facings can be who knows what facing and stuff your particular mthpc has...here's mine at least...

Says 8*

Tip Opening: 2.80 (.110)
Facing Length: 24.5 mm
Chamber: Medium Small
Table: designed to accommodate swell in the reed (concave?)

Compared to my V16 T8...

T8
Tip: 2.87 (.112)
Facing: 26.5
Chamber: Medium-Large
Table: designed to be perfectly flat regardless of reed swelling

This explained a lot for me about why the mouthpieces played so differently...I don't know which I like better but the NVS has a really awesome focus to the sound...the V16's facing is so long that I have to play a bit thicker reeds (3.5-4) to stabilize it...I can get away with 2.5 or 3 strength on the NVS though the tip is smaller on the NVS...

For me...i wonder what the facinglength is on the OTHER tip sizes of NVS...like 7, 7* and 8???

cheers,

R

#329 ·
My observation is that Link openings tend to run .005" under the stamped size.

This is interesting because you and I play such different tip openings

Vintage Slant Link HR 6*
Tip: .092"
Facing Length: 23.5mm (rails <1mm uneven)
Table: Flat
Facing Curve: Standard Link

(PM me for numbers if you want them)

Best,
Rob

#330 ·
My observation is that Link openings tend to run .005" under the stamped size.
The good people at the JJ Babbitt Company maintain that the tip opening measurements still coincide with their traditional measurements (e.g., 7* = .105"). It seems, however, that there is no industry standard concerning from and to where the measurements are made. For starters, are you measuring to the front or the back of the tip rail?

#334 ·
Thanks for the reminder. That would be this post:

... So I think Babbitt may measure inside the tip rail and use an undersized target as a way of getting the very tip on size. But I now believe that the sizes listed on the tip opening charts are for the size at the very tip. ... View attachment 12893
Unfortunately, after the vBulliten upgrade the link now takes one to the start of the thread, rather than to page 8, where your complete post is located.

#339 ·
FWIW, I picked up a #7 NVS HR last week, and have really been digging on it. It's got some bite, but has a nice fat sound too. Very easy to play and REALLY projects. I have been playing mostly on a EZ refaced STM (.110), as well as a .120B RPC. The NVS is great, and getting most of the playing right now (which surprised me). Visually, I'll agree with others that the tip rail seems odd, more "rounded" of a profile than any reed I've ever seen. And the tip doesn't look quite even... but I'm not bothered as its a great player.

Can't say how it compares to a real slant sig, never played one.

Pete

#340 ·
Just wanted to notice the consistency of these pieces.
I got another NVS recently and it is a very bad example. Sounds very stuffy and dead. :scratch: Besides known problem of the tip curve being too round, right rail is three times thinner and curved outwards from the table and back to the tip. The chamber is much bigger than regular and looks like it's been carved, and its very unsymmetrical, also piece is extremely tight on the cork. Good that I can exchange/return it.

Camone Babbitt, we love your Links, please make them consistently good as they were in the very beginning!!! :headbang:

#341 ·
As much as I love my NVS...It's a little reed picky so I'm sending it out to spend a little on getting it cleaned up...I'll report back on the result. Weird thing is I LOVE this piece...perfect tip opening and facing length is nice...chamber is great size and this piece sizzles...BUT i need the table to be flatter so reeds stay sealed longer...that's it!
Hopefully the piece will still sizzle after...

Cheers,

R

#345 ·
ZJAZZ--

I tend to play and LIKE dry reeds...maybe this is the problem for this table...I like the feel of them and I like just picking up my horn and having it ready to go--not rewetting the reed a lot...
Maybe that is why I don't get as many reeds to work with this piece...really wet reeds do work much better on this piece...and the opposite is true on my V16 T8 piece...
But come to mention it...wet or dry reeds play better on the V16...I can leave the horn out on my desk all night, come back in the morning and still have the mthpc pass the suction test...the Link is MUCH more finnicky...

I don't know what to think about concave tables yet... arghhhhhhh

Ryan

#346 ·
I had a chance to pick up one NVS from very early serial number!!! :D:D:D A guy bought it when they just came out from Tenormaddness, he got two and decided to sell one of them. I was lucky to buy it because this piece is a KILLER!!!!:headbang::headbang::headbang: This is the best NVS I've played - period. And it sounds the same as my EB to my ears. The total difference in those two pieces is so insignificant, and I believe it doesn't get closer than that, I think if I had two EB comparing it would have slight difference in between as well, as not all the pieces are identical even though they are exact the same.

I've put a small clip of both, but this time decided not to tell you which one I'm playing. Please tell me which one you like more!!! File name is "one VS another". Later I will tell of course...:bluewink:

http://www.soundclick.com/zjazz

I'll be waiting for your decisions which one is better!!!!!!! :clock::clock::clock:

#354 ·
Well I bought the new HR Vintage Link a couple of days ago. It is size 8, I would have preferred a 7*, but the shop only had an 8 left. I tried it, and it played great. But now look at these pictures of the piece:

and

The side rails are very uneven. And it looks like the drilling was done by a drunken man. The center of the chamber looks like it is closer to the left side than the right side. Hard to explain.

Maybe I should return it, but don't think the shop will take it back. And I actually love the sound. But here in Denmark the Vintage Link is very expensive. And I really don't feel that the poor work on this piece is this worth this kind of money.

Regards,
Jan
(Sorry for my English)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.