Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Vintage Slant Link Thoughts

147K views 407 replies 100 participants last post by  whaler 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!
I just wanted to write my quick review of the new vintage slant, as I know a lot of people are interested in trying these and I hope this info will be helpful. I was following the info myself and had a chance to order from tenormaddness right after they got it in stock.:)

First of all I want to say that I'm a Tone Edge player myself. I have a bunch of different Links that I use including new and vintage models. As you know, these are not "chops in a box". Only after certain time spent in practice room you get to know how to play it and learn flexibility of each piece.

The Link I got from tenormaddnes is an amazing mouthpiece. :):):) It has very low serial number 0197 and it doesn't have USA on the shank. I've seen several pictures and all of them had USA. Interestingly mine doesnt. The baffle shape is very accurate and it goes very smoothe into the floor and chamber, no concavity, nothing. Rails are very accurate and table looks pretty flat to me. It appears to me that the chamber is slightly smaller due to more material under the table. And the floor height measures exactly the same as my Early Babitt. Identical.
Does it play identical? Well....the tone color is the same with different EQ in the high's. It doesn't necessarily means that it plays brighter, but boost in high's makes it feel so. Is the volume the same? No, it is definitely louder. You can still play pretty dark on it, and subtones are very lush and full. It can play as dark as my EB, but louder. This is the loudest Link I've ever played, it just projects! I believe it is due to a slightly smaller chamber and vintage like high floor.
How is the rubber quality I really don't know, looks fine to me. But basically this is a great piece and it definitely a winner for me. I'm still in process learning this piece and it get's better and better every day. First day when I was comparing it to my trusted old Early Babbitt I was not as happy as I'm today after playing it for a while. Today I compared it to EB and for some time I found EB to be a bit duller? Did I say that? Yes, it felt that way, no not brighter, but this new slant is somehow gets cleaner sound! Yes cleaner, I think this is the right word.
More time will show where it will go for me, but for now I just want to tell that it is a great mouthpiece and if you a Link player you really need to try it, I'm sure there will be opposite reviews, but for everyone it's different. What considered dark for one person- is bright for another and visa versa. All those things are very subjective and of course it's up to a player how you play it.
For me as a Link player it is very projective and loud with a good real Link core sound! Just wanted to get this info for those who interested and I hope this information will help you!
All have a great day! Peace :)

here are some pictures

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5219.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5221.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5224.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5227.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5235.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5240.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5243.jpg

See less See more
#176 ·
I had the chance to play one that a friend has and thought it was a decent piece, but honestly my tone edge especially the one that Mojo refaced for me is fatter sounding.

I also kind of looked to see why there was a considerable price increase over the ToneEdge. I walked away scratching my head as to why Babbitt charges $90 more for the NVS over the Tone Edge. They are pretty much made the same, only more baffle/smaller chamber/smaller bore for the NVS.

Me thinks this was a test to see if people would be willing to pay higher prices. Look for $160 stock Tone Edges next year if this keeps up.

#178 ·
I believe JJ hr* has much smaller chamber. JJ is a meyer like chamber, but New Slant is almost the same as vintage Links, with a very small difference in chamber and bore size. I compared the floor with my EB and it looks identical. I'm waiting for a 8 opening. Once I get it I will put another comparison clips with EB. I hope 8 opening of New Slant will be same in feel as my 7* EB. :):):)

#180 ·
Just got a 7* NVS. I have to say it is a very, very fine piece for the price. I bet it would wail if it was worked on. There is a "seam" on the table that is a bit raised. (anyone else notice this?) I figure this has to effect the playability...response is good though, a little tubby down low. The NVS is considerably brighter than my no usa STM. I still like my STM the best.

#181 ·
blue boy,

Mine had that seam too. I send it to Brian and he told me that the machine did that on the making process. Also the table on those mouthpieces are concave. Mine was 7*, he open it to an 8, reface it and flattened the table.

I own a Florida Slant and my NV Slant after Brian's work sound darker. Brian also work on my Florida Slant and I have to say that he is a master!!!

#184 ·
Not likely, even slants are not always sure how they are supposed to be. It is a good blank and can be made into a good mouthpiece, maybe similar to a slant, maybe not, depending on how it is done. Personally I have the feeling that it is not the chamber that differs from the slant links, but the baffle and ramp. There is certainly the possibility of changing that if you want to go that far.

#185 ·
All right. I got the New Slant 8 opening to match it to my 7* EB. Opened the box and was sooo disappointed with the looks of the piece. It has uneven rails, what it looks like not straight table, and very bad tip. Tip is adjusted the way that the reeds corners would not fit. If you would be able to adjust the corners of the reed correctly, then you get super thick piece of front rail. Basically it has very curvy tip. I don’t know, maybe Alto reeds will be ok with this tip but not Tenor. I was so upset that I even didn’t want to play it.
BUT!!!! From the first note I was blown away with the sound! I simply could not believe this sound is coming from such poor finished piece. It has the same thick buzzy sound, dark and spread as my holy grail EB, but it’s about 20% louder. For me this makes it to be little more flexible. Now I must say, doesn’t matter how it looks. If it plays – it plays! And this New Slant is a hands down winner!
When I looked “under the hood” I was amazed to see that chamber of this New Slant is bigger than my EB!!! Yes bigger, and I was very surprised, as my previous New Slant 7* had a bit smaller chamber than my EB. And according to reviews here everybody reported that New Slants chamber is a tad smaller. Also there is nothing in the baffle area, it is very very straight. No bump- nothing. Absolutely straight baffle goes smoothly to the huge chamber (exactly like the oldest slants with the number on the table). Also what I noticed is that it is much thinner right under the table than my EB. That gives it extra room for bigger chamber as well. But the floor angle and height is identical to my EB. So I guess because of these dimensions this New Slant is a winner for me.
I will try to put some clips of my New Slant soon and I’ll put the comparison again with my EB. I think my EB is going to rest FINALLY. :):):)

#186 ·
It has uneven rails, what it looks like not straight table, and very bad tip. Tip is adjusted the way that the reeds corners would not fit. If you would be able to adjust the corners of the reed correctly, then you get super thick piece of front rail. Basically it has very curvy tip. I don't know, maybe Alto reeds will be ok with this tip but not Tenor. I was so upset that I even didn't want to play it.
BUT!!!! From the first note I was blown away with the sound! I simply could not believe this sound is coming from such poor finished piece. It has the same thick buzzy sound, dark and spread as my holy grail EB, but it's about 20% louder. For me this makes it to be little more flexible. Now I must say, doesn't matter how it looks. If it plays - it plays! And this New Slant is a hands down winner!
So are you tempted to get it cleaned up by a refacer, or do you think the imperfect appearance/finishing is a factor in how well it plays? I would be inclined to leave well enough alone, but there's always the chance that it might play even better if it were "perfected," right?

Maybe a refacer here could throw his/her two cents in on what a reface/clean up might do to the piece . . .

#190 ·
Mine's on it's way back from Brian Powell right now. I'll let you know if it's better, the same or worse in my opinion. Although I felt mine didn't really play that great in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Neff! Would love to hear from you about this piece after a pro reface!:)[/QUOTE]

So would I! I thought that by now, someone would have set up a mini cottage industry on improving/perfecting these new "Vintage" pieces. In my experience, a Phil-Tone Link is SIGNIFICANTLY better than a stock modern Tone Edge. I've been wondering if someone can do something similar with the "Vintage" Tone Edge, which I consider to be a significantly better piece than a stock "modern" Tone Edge to begin with.

I have two of these "Vintage" Tone Edges now. I might send one off to a pro refacer to see for myself. The problem is that I don't have any complaints about them as they are right now. There's just the "what if" factor . . .

#192 ·
Buck Laughlin;I have two of these "Vintage" Tone Edges now. I might send one off to a pro refacer to see for myself. The problem is that I don't have any complaints about them as they are right now. There's just the "what if" factor . . .[/QUOTE said:
Buck. My two cents: If it plays -it plays. If you like the response and happy with how piece feels and plays then why reface it? Of course pro refacer will do the best out of it to the specs, and yes "what if" it will be even better? Possible...but I would not touch it if you happy with it.
On other hand, this is not something too expensive and to experiment with it might be a good thing. A good pro refacer might bring something out of it, that it's not capable right now. If it would be a vintage Link which cost arm and leg, then it would be different issue. But again, if you happy and have no complaints as you said, then enjoy it as it is :):):)

#193 ·
The thing about getting a reface is that you have to be careful that what you like about the piece isn't connected to it's flaws. For example you might really dig the resistance and character of a piece but that might be totally attached to the fact that the rails are uneven. If you send a piece like that out to get refaced it will play easier and be more reed friendly when you get it back but the resistance might be gone that you loved in the first place.

#196 · (Edited)
Melvin........... I liked the GIAI a lot. I did a little review on the GIAI review thread. I'm trying to get the money to buy one. It plays as good as my orig. Slant Link HR but has a little different sound for me. It has a "sheen" to the sound that I like. It may not be for everyone but it is for me. I got to play it for a week. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showpost.php?p=1231493&postcount=63

Back to the new Slant Link, I got one but have trouble with it. I believe there is some problem with the facing as the low notes don't respond like they should. I don't have this problem with any other piece I've played so don't tell me long tones will fix my problem. I've been playing for about 50 years. Maybe a reface would correct but that is more $$$$ that could go towards the Wanne piece.

Red

#200 ·
Im still underwhelmed. I dont think they sound like a vintage Link and there is little room in the overall design for modifications aside from correcting a facing that is already pretty decent. As I mentions already, I find them a bit bright and thin. That is a product of the chamber and bore more than the facing.

They do, however, kick the crap out of stock TEs. Thats not hard to do.

#201 ·
That's pretty much what I heard as well, and like they changed the r baffle a bit as well. whats so darned hard about just copying the dimensions of the thing anyway? Then at least you guys would be able to bring it too perfection?

#202 ·
I got my 7* back from Brian Powell yesterday. It's much more impressive now to me. A little darker and blows more freely. It's also more even sounding throughout the range. He measure it at .103. He opened it to .108 for me and made the facing curve more friendly. I'm not sure how the original curve was but I was playing it last night and like it much more. I'll put up a sound clip in the next few days.

#205 ·
That's a good question. I actually played the slant for a few hours today and at the end had that thought about putting on the SP and seeing how it compared with the same reed but I didn't get a chance to do it. Maybe I'll have a battle of the HR links sound clip and see what comes of that. i also have an Aizen LS piece here that I'm really digging..........

#210 ·
I believe Brian said the facing curve was Ok but he felt it was short. He lengthened it to 25mm. Reshaped the tip to match a reed as it was a bit off and evened out the baffle as it was lopsided. He also flattened the table. I would assume it was concave maybe? It plays 100 % better in my opinion. Before it played OK but wasn't really fun to play. Just kind of average for me. Now it is something I really enjoy playing.

G
#211 ·
I guess at $160 initially and $85 to $100 for a quality reface, that puts the piece in the range of the mid $200 range. That's a pretty average price range for a quality hand finished piece. I haven't played one of these, but I'm guessing from what I've read here that they are hit or miss out of the box, but a quality reface can really ensure that they play optimally.

FWIW, I bought a Tenney Jazzmaster a couple of weeks ago.
At $350, the price is definitely higher than the New Vintage Slants, but well worth it, IMO. I would say that the sound characteristics of this piece are in the same ballpark as vintage Slants and the New Vintage Slant. This piece kills anything that I've ever played on tenor. It's worth the extra $100. Doc knows what he is doing.

#212 ·
Doc knows what he is doing.[/SIZE]
Amen! The New Vintage is very good, particularly for the $, but the Jazzmaster is less weighted to the upper frequencies, and has a very full and balanced sound throughout.

#213 ·
Hi all!
I have recorded some new comparison examples of my old trusted EB and New Slant 8. Again did loud-soft and high register-low. Played both on RJS 4M unfilled. Interestingly it is hard to say which one I like more. On some examples EB plays fuller, on some New Slant, on some EB is darker on some Slant. I guess this is due to my position to mic, if I move the bell a little to left or right sound changes dramatically and might be misrepresenting the mouthpiece characteristics. In real world Slant is a tad darker and louder. Hope it is noticeable in the recording.
Name of the file is NEW COMPARISON- EB 7* vs New Slant 8 and it will be the first in play list.

http://www.soundclick.com/zjazz

#214 ·
ZJAZZ, nice sound!
I found the EB have more resonance and the NS sound more dry. Both sound great but for my taste the EB is the winner. I guess all depend on what you're looking for.

#215 ·
based on this recording, the new slant here doesn't seem to have the depth as the early link-but what's interesting is the slant gets a little better as you play it even here on this recording.

these things are really hard to tell playing into a mic though and not being there. I'd be willing to bet the new link has a little more projection and volume but maybe at the expense of some fullness and slightly darker core the older one may have-not to mention the use of the same reed on both. They might respond differently to different reeds-or a reed that's been broken in on each mouthpiece individually etc etc etc. rather than putting the same reed on both (etc,etc,etc,etc,) oh well, it's like a merry go round that never stops...

#217 ·
Both sound fantastic. The EB does seem to have more depth, while the New Slant has more 'zing.' Given that the EB would sell for around 4 times what the New Slant can be had for, the fact that they are even in the same ballpark suggests that the New Slant is a great option for folks who might not have the $600-$800 to spend on a great EB, much less the $1200-$1600 a great Slant might run. The New Slant definitely tops my list of recommendations for students, as well as any player on a relatively modest equipment budget, regardless of proficiency level.

#218 ·
Thanks everybody for checking new clips out and for your comments. So far, everybody likes EB more and finds its sound fuller than Slant, however I feel visa verse. Maybe higher volume of Slant deceive me, but it sounds with more core to me and with more of that link buzz. Also opening on the Slant (8) is little wider than EB (7*), so same reed gives different feel. I might need to experiment with that as well to see if matching reed will give different tone. Also I was playing with the reed that was broken in on EB, so while this is good playing and comfortable reed for EB it is in reality not that good for Slant. So all these small things make it complicated to give straight comparison. All those little nuances may give different results. And for myself it is really hard to tell which I like better, because both of them are very nice playing pieces with the identical vibe. :):):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.