Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Vintage Slant Link Thoughts

147K views 407 replies 100 participants last post by  whaler 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!
I just wanted to write my quick review of the new vintage slant, as I know a lot of people are interested in trying these and I hope this info will be helpful. I was following the info myself and had a chance to order from tenormaddness right after they got it in stock.:)

First of all I want to say that I'm a Tone Edge player myself. I have a bunch of different Links that I use including new and vintage models. As you know, these are not "chops in a box". Only after certain time spent in practice room you get to know how to play it and learn flexibility of each piece.

The Link I got from tenormaddnes is an amazing mouthpiece. :):):) It has very low serial number 0197 and it doesn't have USA on the shank. I've seen several pictures and all of them had USA. Interestingly mine doesnt. The baffle shape is very accurate and it goes very smoothe into the floor and chamber, no concavity, nothing. Rails are very accurate and table looks pretty flat to me. It appears to me that the chamber is slightly smaller due to more material under the table. And the floor height measures exactly the same as my Early Babitt. Identical.
Does it play identical? Well....the tone color is the same with different EQ in the high's. It doesn't necessarily means that it plays brighter, but boost in high's makes it feel so. Is the volume the same? No, it is definitely louder. You can still play pretty dark on it, and subtones are very lush and full. It can play as dark as my EB, but louder. This is the loudest Link I've ever played, it just projects! I believe it is due to a slightly smaller chamber and vintage like high floor.
How is the rubber quality I really don't know, looks fine to me. But basically this is a great piece and it definitely a winner for me. I'm still in process learning this piece and it get's better and better every day. First day when I was comparing it to my trusted old Early Babbitt I was not as happy as I'm today after playing it for a while. Today I compared it to EB and for some time I found EB to be a bit duller? Did I say that? Yes, it felt that way, no not brighter, but this new slant is somehow gets cleaner sound! Yes cleaner, I think this is the right word.
More time will show where it will go for me, but for now I just want to tell that it is a great mouthpiece and if you a Link player you really need to try it, I'm sure there will be opposite reviews, but for everyone it's different. What considered dark for one person- is bright for another and visa versa. All those things are very subjective and of course it's up to a player how you play it.
For me as a Link player it is very projective and loud with a good real Link core sound! Just wanted to get this info for those who interested and I hope this information will help you!
All have a great day! Peace :)

here are some pictures

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5219.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5221.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5224.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5227.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5235.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5240.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5243.jpg

See less See more
#94 ·
It would really stink if i get a lame example of one after all this
I guess it won´t happen.;)

I think also that Babitt is making specially good work at the beginning of the marketing of the ... , OLVR

Otto link Rubber Vintage !! seems to be the official Babitt name for it.

that is the name of the New slant HR stamped on the package of mine!!

OLRV .. Otto Link Rubber Vintage

Regardless from its name (who cares?:D) ...

...the quality control is surely better than before and I suppose that the beginning of the marketing is the key of the success for future sales(see Selmer!!!, they sell today sometimes crap for the name)

And so I bought mine so fast I could. Out of the box amazing piece.

the OLRV is for me already a legend

#95 ·
Well, these things seem to be out of stock everywhere I've checked. Anyone know where they might be in stock? I wonder if they are sold in any 'brick & mortar' stores? Guess I'll check some of the local shops, which would be first choice anyway, since I can try them out.

#97 ·
Thanks Red. Actually I don't mind just getting on a wait list, if that's what it takes. I'm not in a huge rush about it, and I'm not dissatisfied with my RPC in any case. I can get a fat sound out of it, especially in the low register, but still not sure it's as thick as a Link. I think I gotta give a Link a real try-out. And this OLVR or NVR or whatever it's going to be called has sparked my interest. I don't mess with a lot of mpcs, since discovering the RPC...

Ideally I can find a local store with them and try a bunch out.

#98 ·
Well, I got a 7* in today that I bought from a fellow SOTWer. I have to say that I'm not that impressed. I played it for the last couple of hours. It feels quite a bit smaller than a .105 to me. It has a tendency to close up up high and get thin sounding. The baffle is higher on one side than the other. You can see how it slants sideways and is crooked just by looking at it. It plays OK. Better than the stock links I've played but no where near my EB link or SP Link. It is a bit brighter and more nasally sounding to me than my other 2 HR links. I also, like others, can't get a lot of volume out of it. It seems to shut off on me and won't take all the air. I'm not sure if that is because it is too closed or a facing curve issue. I had a Phil-tone piece that was at .101 that cranked in the volume department so I'm thinking it might have to do with the curve and baffle being crooked. I'm curious though as to how it would play if I sent it to Brian Powell and had him open it to .105 , work on the facing curve and even out the baffle. Oh well........... another mouthpiece off to Brian to make great! Take this review for what it's worth though since I've only played this one and it might be a poor example.

#102 ·
Well, I got a 7* in today that I bought from a fellow SOTWer. I have to say that I'm not that impressed. I played it for the last couple of hours.
I'd be interested to see if it gets better as you experiment with reeds and have longer on the piece.
That's what happened to me, but I've never played the old ones to compare it to.

#99 ·
Just to be clear, I'm talking about about this piece in relation to two great HR links I have so I was a little hard on it because of all the talk about it replacing slants and how everyone will be selling their stash of pieces. I do think the one I have is a pretty good piece for the 160.00 price range. I could see some of my high school students playing it. It's certainly better than the stock links of the past. It doesn't have that tubby dead sound to it. It's just not the "holy grail". At least the one I got. Steve

#100 ·
Neff, your post illustrate well what I wrote on other posts:

I don't see why so many people look for the "new vintage" link, mass product, when they can have a "standard" piece well refaced (did babbitt hire now a saxophone player for test playing these pieces ??) upon their request for the same price or cheaper...

They are many skilled refacers and/or manufacturers (= hand made) here on SOTW : Phils, Ed, Erik, Brian, Keith, Greg, Doc, Theo, Adam, etc....

And the bonus : when you send a second hand (probably bad or average ones) piece to them, you get a hand finished piece, individually test played for the same price, or even cheaper, than the new vintage link..., so folks, it's up to you, custom finished or mass production (even with improved QC, it remains mass production).:cool:

Personnally, I do prefer sent my money to skilled individuals (and musicians) rather than increasing the profits and assets of some unknown shareholders...

my 0.02€

#104 ·
Sorry Neff.. you might have gotten a dud

I got a 7* and it plays very nice, I'm not a mouthpiece expert but the rails on mine look REALLY uneven, but it still plays great. i haven't had it on a gig yet so I'm kinda holding judgement on it until it is road tested.

I'm having simular results as this guy...

and he plays trumpet really well too!.. that just isn't fair.

#105 ·
I'd love to see someone that claims to have a good one loan it to Steve for a comparo. He's always been very good about taking care of pieces that I've sent him.

#106 ·
and I think the 7* are a bit too closed for my tastes
I also felt the 7* more narrow than a normal ToneEdge 7 which I used to have.

Nevertheless a great piece for non US customers at all since we don´t have much refacers in Europe (assuming giving a standard OL to be refaced would bring better results. If better or just different it depends from taste) that do work on pieces affordable.

#107 ·
UPDATE.

I've been playing on my new Slant 7* for a while, love it very much but I actually missed the resistance of my EB. Went back to EB and was at home again. :) The tip opening when compared to EB looks identical (although I don't have gauges to measure), but plays much easier with less resistance. I sold new Slant to my very good student, he loved it too, and I'm gonna get 8 opening to see if 8 will feel same as EB 7*. I know I wrote before that openings feel same on EB and on new Slant, but after playing for some time and changing reeds back and forth I can tell new Slant is much easier to play, and because I used to certain resistance I need more open one. My usual reeds are 4M RJS unfiled on 7* EB, I tried 4H RJS and still don't have that desired resistance. So here's my update. I'm going a half number higher (when they in stock) and will report here again. Maybe I will need 8*?

#109 ·
Maybe I will need 8*?
I also think the same:)
the piece is great for me but a more open would be better.

But I am not in a hurry to re-sell mine , we will bring a longer time together.
Oh yeah, I hear what u're saying. This 7* was a great playing and sounding piece. I could open it up, but really didn't wanted because it was a real good player out of the box. I'm sure if I'd send it to a pro refacer to open it up, it would be killer piece but decided to get another original with bigger opening instead. Now seeing that Neff is not satisfied with the piece it made me think maybe they are not as consistent as I thought. Well, will wait for a 8 and 8* and will try several...

#110 ·
My quick review;

Right out of the box this could be a good, more than adequate mpc for many. I will admit that regardless of the fact that the example I have is smaller than I've played for decades and that it's way brighter than I'm used to I like it and feel it's worth the short money it goes for.
This one is marked 7 but actually measures .095/6*-tip, rails, baffle and chamber are well finished. The table has some minute longitudinal ridges that make it less than flat but it didn't seem to greatly effect performance. It articulates well, the harder the reed the better(sounded best for me with a 4RR) It balked a bit C1 down, which forces one to concentrate subtoning down there and it thins out in the palm keys but the general tone isn't whiney or annoying and I didn't get the sense of it sounding nasally. The lay seems shorter than other Links and shorter than what I prefer, but it blows well. Overall it does what it should do- well. That being said my Tenney Jazzmasters do all those positive things much better and suffers from none of the negatives. As an aside the Jazzmasters are a bit heavier too. If I didn't have other pieces I could live with a slightly modified one of the New Slants. My only real disappointment is the brightness. Keep in mind these are my early impressions after about 10 hours play.

#111 ·
If all these 'pieces are running small then maybe we are all wrong - after all, we keep referencing the Otto Link standard and THEY are Otto Link. :shock:

If the tip openings run "small" yet play well, is that a quality issue? :twisted:

#126 ·
If all these 'pieces are running small then maybe we are all wrong - after all, we keep referencing the Otto Link standard and THEY are Otto Link. :shock:
You may be right on the point. I recently got a modern Link STM NY 7* in a trade. Guess what, the piece measured exactly .100" just like my new vintage slant tone edge 7*.
Babbit may have decided simply to change the scale one step down. Why ? To make the customers feel more macho ?
Anybody else out there with a tip opening gauge (mine is a Theo Wanne digital) and modern unmodified Otto Links to chime in with measurements. ?

#113 ·
Thanks Thomas for your quick review. Yes I agree with you on brightness, however I think it feels brighter due to a smaller tip as well. I had to use harder reeds than my usual to calm it down and to get better feel. Too bad 7* doesnt match to regular 7* and you need to experiment with higher numbers. But good thing there is a lot of baffle material, so it's easy to take off some to get desired eq. :)

#115 ·
I agree that a larger tip with the stiff reed could tame some of the brightness. I too will keep an eye out for an 8 or so since these seem to be running small and hopefully all the positive aspects of the 7(actually measures 6*)will be present. Not to be a broken record-these new slants don't hold a candle to the Jazzmaster and will not take their place for me...but the new slant ain't a bad piece for the $.

#114 ·
I played an outdoor pool party this weekend w/ my new 7*, and it felt really good. It has a brighter sound, but I like that kinda Coltrane vibe anyway. I practiced 2-3 hrs that day, so by the end of the gig, my jaw started to hurt. I think that is because of the higher profile beak, (which I'm not used to) but it felt very easy to play and it responded great. To me it seems like the best of both the vintage and the more modern style of tenor saxophone. I'm going to keep playing on it and I'm sure in 6 months or so (which I think you really need to play a mpc for that long to really develop it's potential) it will be even more enjoyable to play music. (my ultimate goal) -Paul

#120 ·
I'm sure in 6 months or so (which I think you really need to play a mpc for that long to really develop it's potential) it will be even more enjoyable to play music. (my ultimate goal) -Paul
I completely agree! More you play on it, better it becomes...or you become better in controlling it:)

Isn't it ironic that the leading company in mouthpiece design and manufacturing while making a strong effort to better the quality of their mouthpieces can't get the tip sizes right! .............:?
Agree!!! If I order 7* I want 7*...end of story! I want it match to what I used to play:)

#116 ·
Isn't it ironic that the leading company in mouthpiece design and manufacturing while making a strong effort to better the quality of their mouthpieces can't get the tip sizes right! What's the deal with that? What player wants to order a 7* and get a 7? It seems like a strange marketing concept unless they think they will sell twice as many pieces because people will order the tip they prefer and then have to order another to get it right.......... Sometimes I just lay awake at night staring at the ceiling and wonder what certain people are thinking.............:?

#117 ·
Thinking "why don't we measure the tip opening from the outside of the tip rail because that can be more consistent across differing tip rail widths." Then not thinking "maybe we should adjust for that because nobody else does it that way".

Or maybe they want the "OMG the NewSlant is so much more free blowing!" effect. Of course it is. It's smaller. Not everybody is as nutty as us when it comes to equipment and know what the spec has been. Plenty assume a 7 is a 7 is a 7, don't even realize a Meyer 7 is a Link 5 for instance, nevermind a Link 7 not being a Link 7.

#123 ·
Hey Z. Just bought a 7* one myself and really like it for my 50's RockaBilly band. Loud a lots of power!

When do you leave to play at the Switzerland (Montreaux Jazz Fest)? B:cool:
Hey Brian! Great to hear from you! Thanks man, I'm actually flying to Switzerland tomorrow and my concert will be on 16th of July in Montreux Jazz Cafe. Thanks for asking!:)
Cool that you got new Slant. I'm sure u'll like it!!!
:)

#127 ·
With regard to the serial numbers on these models: Are these new mouthpieces limited edition? Was just curious.

#130 ·
I just got a 7* one of these in the mail from Tenor Madness. I think it's a great player, certainly way better than the stuff Babbitt was putting out in the recent past. It's got the classic link sound, dark, but flexible with a lot of character. I've never played a vintage slant so I can't compare but it's close to my refaced early babbitt link. The 7* tip opening felt very similar to my main link which is also a 7*. I didn't think it felt small at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.