Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Vintage Slant Link Thoughts

147K views 407 replies 100 participants last post by  whaler 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!
I just wanted to write my quick review of the new vintage slant, as I know a lot of people are interested in trying these and I hope this info will be helpful. I was following the info myself and had a chance to order from tenormaddness right after they got it in stock.:)

First of all I want to say that I'm a Tone Edge player myself. I have a bunch of different Links that I use including new and vintage models. As you know, these are not "chops in a box". Only after certain time spent in practice room you get to know how to play it and learn flexibility of each piece.

The Link I got from tenormaddnes is an amazing mouthpiece. :):):) It has very low serial number 0197 and it doesn't have USA on the shank. I've seen several pictures and all of them had USA. Interestingly mine doesnt. The baffle shape is very accurate and it goes very smoothe into the floor and chamber, no concavity, nothing. Rails are very accurate and table looks pretty flat to me. It appears to me that the chamber is slightly smaller due to more material under the table. And the floor height measures exactly the same as my Early Babitt. Identical.
Does it play identical? Well....the tone color is the same with different EQ in the high's. It doesn't necessarily means that it plays brighter, but boost in high's makes it feel so. Is the volume the same? No, it is definitely louder. You can still play pretty dark on it, and subtones are very lush and full. It can play as dark as my EB, but louder. This is the loudest Link I've ever played, it just projects! I believe it is due to a slightly smaller chamber and vintage like high floor.
How is the rubber quality I really don't know, looks fine to me. But basically this is a great piece and it definitely a winner for me. I'm still in process learning this piece and it get's better and better every day. First day when I was comparing it to my trusted old Early Babbitt I was not as happy as I'm today after playing it for a while. Today I compared it to EB and for some time I found EB to be a bit duller? Did I say that? Yes, it felt that way, no not brighter, but this new slant is somehow gets cleaner sound! Yes cleaner, I think this is the right word.
More time will show where it will go for me, but for now I just want to tell that it is a great mouthpiece and if you a Link player you really need to try it, I'm sure there will be opposite reviews, but for everyone it's different. What considered dark for one person- is bright for another and visa versa. All those things are very subjective and of course it's up to a player how you play it.
For me as a Link player it is very projective and loud with a good real Link core sound! Just wanted to get this info for those who interested and I hope this information will help you!
All have a great day! Peace :)

here are some pictures

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5219.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5221.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5224.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5227.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5235.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5240.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/zulfjazz/new vintage slant/IMG_5243.jpg

See less See more
#7 ·
Yesterday I received mine, in my favorite 6 opening.
I have never played a Slant (no way I am going to spend as much as the ebayers or frequent SOTW sellers as for those) and not even the Tenney-Slant: I compared it with a very good modern production Tone Edge bought about 1 yr ago: I read a lot of complaints about modern production Links but quite honestly this was really good out of the box.

Anyways, the new "Vintage" model gets my preference hands down.
My impressions are really similar to the ones of the original poster: louder, more projecting and more flexible than previous models.
I also seem to notice the most difference in the high register, but I also remarked immediately the improved responsiveness. My favorite hard rubber piece was a Morgan 6L and this "Vintage" model plays really similarly, perhaps a touch less bright, same huge volume and nice projection.

I am very satisfied of my purchase. Hat off to Babbitt to keep prices very reasonable for this model. Its finish to my eyes is as good as it comes and I bet each of them received a good amount of hand work before they are released to the public.

I have no precision gauge so I am not sure what the real opening is. If 7s are reported in the normal range of a 6*, mine may or may not be more in the range of a 5*. Regardless, I am accustomed to a standard 6 and that is what it "feels" to me.

#16 ·
I bought a HR 7 after trying several. Band Source also has many 6-8*'s, I was only trying the 7's since that is what I prefer. They are consistently good but have small differences in response, basically in how free they play. It would be best to try before you buy, same with any mouthpiece or horn.

#18 ·
MitchP. Thanks for this valuable info! I'm sure a lot of people don't have a chance try several before they buy (including me, because it was blind mail order) and knowing that they are consistent is good thing! :)

Thx Zulfugar for reporting your impressions with the New Vintage. You can also take good pics as you can play superb. :)
Thanks for you kind words CONN-HUNTER, and for listening my music. I appreciate it! :)

#19 ·
MitchP. Thanks for this valuable info! I'm sure a lot of people don't have a chance try several before they buy (including me, because it was blind mail order) and knowing that they are consistent is good thing! :)

I know, I'm lucky this time. They are consistent which is good.

#21 ·
Thanks Jasonj:):):)
I play TE Link. So all tracks there are played with TE. I change them sometimes, I have louder-brighter and quieter-darker same type pieces, but 99% of my playing is Early Babbitt. However on the videos on myspace I played Guardala. It was a great piece but not for me. Once I was converted to Links anything else didn't work for me. But now I'm digging this new Slant and it looks like it's a winner. I really like it's projection and ease of playing.
Thanks again for listening my music!:)
Best,
Zulf

#24 ·
Thanks Zulfugar, both for the great pix and great playing. :)

I really like my 7* and it is now my main piece. It compared favorably with the two pieces I had been using, each of which cost in the $250 to $325 range. This new slant is affordable, and it will be a real winner if the quality control stays up and the price stays down.

#26 ·
Thanks for your kind words LampLight! :)
I hope will see more happy players here with these new slants! I'm glad you liked it too. It is really good playing piece (for me).

Let's see who else bought it and how much like/dislike it. Please guys share your opinions here so we can see how consistent these are! It will be very valuable info for those who still in search or want to buy Links.:):):)

#29 ·
I just recorded the comparison of my Early Babbitt and New Slant. Here's the link you can hear the recording. I tried to play the same way both m-pieces in each example. There are some scales, loud and soft playing, low register and high register comparisons, with straight sound and subtones, and in the end some heads form tunes. Both pieces were played with RJS unfiled 4M and Selmer metal two screw ligature.

http://www.soundclick.com/zjazz

P.S. Sorry could not upload good quality wave file, this is mp3, not as clean as wave, but hopefully you will get an idea of sound.

#32 ·
He bought a 7* holdenjazz. You can see in his pics on the beginning of this thread.

my goodness. the EB sounds wonderful, for my ears much prettier and fuller than the New Vintage Slant.

But for the money the new Vintage Slant is a giant of a player.

I already ordered one.

#38 ·
uuuh! they play in a very similar way...
It has no sense to spend lot of money in EB's.
But the big problem is... how many people like this kind of smooth, deep, full and lush sound? Many players now ask for something of very different, lot of projection, more punch, high frequencies, high baffle, loud sound... etc. etc.
Maybe only experienced players/professional players like this kind of sound but the majority of saxophone players are at low or intermediate level and just want to play loud in their gigs as we did when younger :D.
Do you think this mouthpieces will have lot of success?
I hope but I am not so sure...

Stan

#39 ·
Thanks everybody for your inputs. Very interesting different opinions. For some EB sounds fuller, for some New Slant.

Here's my thoughts and observations.
For me, high register, especially palm keys sounds somehow richer in EB with normal volume (rings better?). I can really push it and it won't get bright and will stay in the same color, where New Slant becomes a tad brighter on those notes when pushed (high B and up). In order to match the tone on those notes you have to back up a tad on Slant, that's why it doesn't ring as EB does, however if I play with same volume on Slant then it rings identical but with more edge. Basically with less air Slant sounds very close to EB, but if you push it it gets much louder. So that's why maybe it's a tad clearer? But low end and mid register is definitely clearer to my ears. Especially mid register has a nice projection and fullness to the sound.
Of course these are my own observations. I'm still in process learning new Slant, but I like it's flexibility more and more every day. Maybe I'm getting used to this sound.:)

#41 ·
Thanks ZJazz for putting in the work on the comparison. My ears hear the possibility of more flexibility in the new slant based by reed choice. It's clearly more powerful than the EB for air put in. I didn't notice which reeds you were using but my thought, having not played one of the new pieces, is that with a harder reed it would be an all 'round better piece than the EB. It reminds me somewhat of my Tenney Jazzmasters but with not quite the full depth and even-ness throughout the registers of the horn. Sounds like it could be fine piece for many players. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.