Sax on the Web Forum banner

weak lip muscle

7K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  maliciousmonster 
#1 ·
hey guys! im a really really new player and i just went for my first lesson :D the thing is.. i found out that my lower lip tend to get really really weak after playing for awhile thus going off tune and when i get tired.. i cant concentrate on blowing air through the mouthpiece.. my mouth starts to open up and i cant blow anymore.. is there anyway to toughen my mouth muscles :?

#2 ·
Play long tones for 5 minutes when you start to practice & focus on keeping your corners closed. Play until your lip & corners of your mouth give out every day & try to play a little longer each day until you build them up. End your practice session with 5 more minutes of long tones. It doesn't happen over night, but it will. No pain, no gain.

#4 ·
Practicing long tones is a key part of developing a good sound on the sax.
This kind of practice will help you develop your stamina, as well as a better tone.

There are specific techniques that can be used, but on the simplest level just pick a note in each "neighborhood" of notes on your horn (for example low D1, low G1, middle B2, and then some notes that include the octave key such as E2 and A2). For each note, hold it for some long period (15 seconds)? and listen to your sound and try to make sound pretty, or at least consistent. After you do this for a couple of weeks during all your practices, you will notice that you sound will have gotten better, even for the shorter notes that you play in most passages.

#5 ·
i can only play D for like 6-7 secs and thats it.. lol. i also notice i often go out of tune whenever i change from higher notes to lower notes.. do i have to press on the reed harder when i go lower notes? or place my mouth inside the mouthpiece more so its easier to get a lower note.

#6 ·
from what i hear you saying, you are really just starting out, and although you will get excellent feedback from this forum, at this stage a teacher will be a good way forward to get you doing the fundamentals properly, with one to one tuition!...all the basics will be explained, a few 30 minute lessons will get you on your way..
good luck

#7 ·
First lesson? Welcome to the club. :)

Now that you're playing sax, there's no end of things to be puzzled and bewildered over. That's what teachers are for. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

:cool:

#9 ·
You have a teacher, which is the best first step you can take. Good for you! The next time you see him (her), ask about the size of your mouthpiece's tip opening and the hardness of your reed. You may need a narrower tip opening or a softer reed at this point.

#10 ·
i do have a teacher in fact. every monday :) im using a yamaha mouthpiece and a 1 1/2 rico reed which he told me to get and although i have a teacher, i think i need someone even closer like a friend to help me with the fundamentals.. though NONE of my friends play any music instruments :/

#13 ·
"Long tones" are a much overused prescription - not appropriate for this time in your musical experience. Practice will build strength and endurance.

Enjoy making music and the rest will follow. ;)

#15 · (Edited)
EXACTLY!!!

Starting out on an instrument makes people insecure. They think it should come naturally. It doesn't. We all struggle. Don't be this guy:

[Impnt]

Keep on keepin on, have fun and persist. It takes thousands of repetitions of any unfamiliar motor skill (not to even mention the mental skills:reading music, counting time, etc) before the body and brain have stored enough information to begin the complex task of creating sax goodness.

Hey did I mention?....don't be this guy:

[Impnt]

If you want "instant gratification" keep a carton of Haagen-Dazs in the fridge. Butter pecan...mmmyum :D

The sax, now....learning the sax is a long distance run...not a sprint. The better you get the more fun it is.

:cool:

#16 ·
Playing the sax only requires moderate to low lip pressure. Sounds like your actually pressing to hard. Your lips just need to make an air tight seal around the mouthpiece.

Its really about learning which muscles to use rather than increasing strength. This will come naturally over time.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.