Bauhaus Walstein Bronze Sax's - Page 4

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bauhaus Walstein Bronze Sax's

The ergo's on my new BW Curvy are much nicer than the Yani curvy.I have had Selmer serie 3 sop,JK sop,Goodson sop,Yani sop over the year's and these BW bronze baby's are right up there with them
    It isn´t remarkable what the Chinese can achieve when they want?

you are getting a nice, very nice sound out of your BWs.

what set-up do you use on playing both BWs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish that Bauhaus Waltein horns were available in the US - they sound like a great alternative - does anyone know if there are plans to carry them here (US)?

(formerly borganiboy) Borganiboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CONN-hunter View Post
    The ergo's on my new BW Curvy are much nicer than the Yani curvy.I have had Selmer serie 3 sop,JK sop,Goodson sop,Yani sop over the year's and these BW bronze baby's are right up there with them
    It isn´t remarkable what the Chinese can achieve when they want?

you are getting a nice, very nice sound out of your BWs.

what set-up do you use on playing both BWs?
    Hi, thank's for that.On alto i am playing a LAW BUZZER 8 Tip (95 i think) and LA VOZ size medium reed.
    On straight Soprano i am playing a Otto Link HR 7* mp refaced by Ed Zentara with LA VOZ size medium reed's.
    I now use a Brancher metal J21 Soprano mp,voz reed's and it's great.
    I just my BW Bronze curved soprano and wow,what a great sax and at such a steal.These are top sax's and are very warm in sound'
    Wedding Solo Sax www.smoothsaxsound.com Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.dbsoundproject.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/db-sound-project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone here have any experience with the non-bronze soprano?
    Is it exacly the same as the bronze model? I just dont like the bronze thing and prefer a gold lacquered piece. But all I read here was about the bronze model only.

Also which horn does it copy? (i mean: Yani, JK, Selmer, Yamaha)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what i have heard there atad lighter in weight and not as warm as the bronze model.I have not blown the brass model so if true or not you would have to go on what people say,i think the Yani bronze and brass sax's i have blown the bronze was warmer so that's my take on it but other folk's will say there's no difference so it's what you think that count's.
    Wedding Solo Sax www.smoothsaxsound.com Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.dbsoundproject.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/db-sound-project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I belive to hear a tonal difference between a yellow brass and a copper alloy sax as I made a comparison bet. 2 Yanagisawas at an Exposition.

This alloy from BW has Phosphor in it. I read that such alloy is made of 9 parts copper, 1 part Zink and traces of phosphor to harden it.
    Anyway a lot of copper and copper is that expensive.

I should try one before buying.

The ergo's on my new BW Curvy are much nicer than the Yani curvy
    nice to hear about. But could you definite "nicer ergo" in such a way that we can figure out?

I know the ergos from the Yana curvy.
    What are the differences

looking forward to hear more about...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the palm key's on a Yani 991 curved soprano abit awkward,the D palm key stick's out to much for me.The low B's seem to much to 1 side but this is me talking about what suit's me and my size hand's.I think the overall ergonomic's on the BW suit me better.The Yani soprano's are outstanding in all field's but side by side with a BW Soprano it's hard to justify £2000.00 more for the yani.Get a good mp,reed,ligature setup and your BW Soprano and your sorted,well i am and that's what count's and i saved about £6000.00 if you add the 3 Bronze yani cost in.I think there superb for the cash you spend and can hold there own in many side by side testing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there superb for the cash you spend and can hold there own in many side by side testing.
    I´d have no doubts about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having read of Pete Thomas and Steve Howard's enthusiasm for the "cheap Chinese" Yanigasawa copy Bauhaus-Walstein range, and wanting a sopranino to match my gorgeous Yani 992 straight soprano (Yani don't make a bronze 'nino), I've just visited Martin at Woodwindandbrass to test drive the BWs. To buy or not to buy quickly turned ou to be a no-brainer. I didn't actually NEED a 'nino (who does?!) but this one's a little beauty and such FUN! Intonation was challenging, as expected, but that's down to the tiny mouthpiece dimensions, not the sax, and I'm already getting a very respectable and (mostly) tuneful sound out of it. Upgrading the plastic mouthpiece that comes with it should help, but I didn't reckon I could judge alternative mouthpieces (Martin stocks Yanis) until I'd got the feel of the thing. Maybe later...

Build quality and finish appear great: it bears an outrageous family resemblance to my bronze Yani sop which was five times the price. It's a bit unnerving that the Chinese can rival top-price Japanese quality, but that's how today's cheap labour become tomorrow's affluent workforce, to be undercut in its turn...

Oh, if anyone can suggest a legal and polite use for the neckstrap they kindly throw in, I'd be grateful. Sopraninos don't actually have, or need, a strap ring!
    Last edited by mgman259; 07-08-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Duplicated my posting on another thread, which I now realise is against forum rules.
    mgman259

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

mgman, you have posted the exact same thing on the other thread (to which I have replied concerning the good point about the ethical issue), I feel I should point out that this is against the SOTW rules, so unless you edit your post to be different, one or the other is likely to be removed by a moderator.

Welcome to SOTW by the way. (From sunny Southampton)
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Pete,

Hadn't spotted that it was against the rules. I thought it was relevant to both threads. By all means remove one.

BTW, Highfield is obviously sunnier than Shirley just now!

mgman259
    mgman259

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mgman259 View Post
    Sorry Pete,

Hadn't spotted that it was against the rules. I thought it was relevant to both threads. By all means remove one.
    I can't do that, I'm not a moderator. You are able to edit it though, see the button at the bottom of the post.

Well, I expect it's always raining in Shirley!
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now edited. Thanks, Pete, for alerting me to the error of my ways. Now off to practise instead of frittering away my time on the computer.
    mgman259

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My BW does sound duller than Conn M10 and Buffet S2, I use an Otto Link with Vandoren Java, or standard reeds. I struggle abit keeping it in tune, but I think thats me! Its great for the money, and fits well into our Ska Band! Would be interested to hear what people think about other mouthpieces, in order to get a brighter sound.

I am sure the Bauhaus is going be bwe a more expensive Taiwain hoen - does that means its any better -? Probably not! Mine came just before the italian pads, but very pleased with it, gr8 for someone on a budget. My Pro teacher (Ray Beavis) informs me the alto register is in good tune, compared to this Buffet S2 at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Bauhaus Walstein"? Give me a break. They, whoever they are, should take a cue from Shen, who has had success building excellent quality stringed instruments and marketing them as exactly what they are: Excellent quality Chinese instruments. I have one of their doublebasses, and am not ashamed of the branding engraved of its heel.

The world is ready for the truth, probably, and I personally am not much faked out by this particular brand of bullsh*t, and even resent the effort. Do they think we're idiots?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blowhead9 View Post
    The world is ready for the truth, probably, and I personally am not much faked out by this particular brand of bullsh*t, and even resent the effort. Do they think we're idiots?
    But BW is the name chosen by the company SELLING the instruments, not MAKING them. If the makers want to market them under their own name all power to them, but that's a different issue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Bauhaus Walstein"? Give me a break. They, whoever they are, should take a cue from Shen, who has had success building excellent quality stringed instruments and marketing them as exactly what they are: Excellent quality Chinese instruments.

But that's what Bauhaus do. Although some of their instruments are from Taiwan. They don't try to say they are not Chinese or Taiwanese.

As stitch says above, "they" are not the manufacturer, they do the import, quality control, setting up, customer service and relations, and , of course, branding. It's the way thing work these days most often.

The great thing for us is that we can get a real quality pro product, with great back up, at a great price. What's wrong with that?

Distinguished SOTW Member crazydaisydoo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most big brand products nowadays are made in China, like some AKG microphones (a well established "upscale" German brand) I don't have a problem with Walstein using a name that is easy to pronounce and sounds comfortably Western to us.

Would I buy the horn if it was called "Happy Lucky Gold New Saxophone"? probably not. I think they have taken some good advice on what we want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    "Bauhaus Walstein"? Give me a break. They, whoever they are, should take a cue from Shen, who has had success building excellent quality stringed instruments and marketing them as exactly what they are: Excellent quality Chinese instruments.

But that's what Bauhaus do. Although some of their instruments are from Taiwan. They don't try to say they are not Chinese or Taiwanese.

As stitch says above, "they" are not the manufacturer, they do the import, quality control, setting up, customer service and relations, and , of course, branding. It's the way thing work these days most often.

The great thing for us is that we can get a real quality pro product, with great back up, at a great price. What's wrong with that?

I know they aren't the manufacturer, and I know about branding etc..., but come on...Bauhaus Walstein? Pick anything, anything, else. Shang Hai Country Boy Saxophone Company...anything. It sounds, to me, like a lame attempt to mislead lame customers, like me. Ranks right up there with french brass and resonance stones. Must be working though, since I just reserved one.

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know they aren't the manufacturer, and I know about branding etc..., but come on...Bauhaus Walstein? Pick anything, anything, else. Shang Hai Country Boy Saxophone Company...anything. It sounds, to me, like a lame attempt to mislead lame customers, like me. Ranks right up there with french brass and resonance stones. Must be working though, since I just reserved one.
    The name 'Walstein' is a concatenation of the surnames of the company owners. 'Bauhaus' was added when another company in the music business with a similar-sounding name asked Walstein to make the name more distinct.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual