Sax on the Web Forum banner

Hello All. This seems fishy.

12K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  tbone1004 
#1 ·
OK. SO Here goes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Contrabass-Saxo...ryZ16233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Orsi contrabass on ebay. Shipping out of china.

Guy sent me a bunch more pictures. I asked specifically for ones of the serial number, and the case, and one of the neck socket. Figured if it is legit, well, then I just got a contra for $2k. If not, well it was interesting to drool over the pictures. I'm posting the pix he sent me on photobucket as we speak, so that'll be up to see if you guys have seen those pictures on ebay before.

#5 ·
I'm well aware. I was only going to go with paypal for that reason. He offered to end it early at the current bid price, so $1950. I'm obviously very skeptical, but he sent pictures of something that is obviously an Orsi contra. Provided extra pictures when asked for *of the case and serial number*. I'm nervous as all get, but this is the first contrabass I have seen for sale in the used market. He has the weight right at 64 lbs. I'm still debating. Uggh. I know gut says to say no, but I have the cash, and with paypal, if worse comes to worse, I can file a claim disbute.

#6 ·
what looks too good to be true, usually is.

#8 ·
We'll see. Logic is pushing me towards no. He's now claiming that the horn he sent pictures of is of the model saxophone, and that the one for sale is a laser copy of it. Hrrm. Cue Tom turning into a masshole *oh how I miss being a Bostonian*. This is going to be almost as fun as telemarketers.

He did send me a picture of his horn next to the Orsi

Well, at $2k, and through paypal, I'd only be out shipping I guess. But that's why I'm still debating. I'll probably opt no, but it's going to be fun to toy with him for the rest of the night.

#9 ·
Plus. The contra is MUCH more practical than the bass that I'm looking at. Laksar Reese has a demo model IW-602 that I'm currently looking at, but realize that opportunities to play that are slim. I could use a contra in place of a tuba with no problems, and it'd be an excuse to buy another lamb from Tammi. Albeit, it might be a mouthpiece companion instead of a bell companion.

#11 ·
I'll ask about pads, already did about mouthpiece. Awaiting response. I at least know that he now has A horn, not what he said it originally was, but I'll post the emails in this thread when I'm done.

Oh, my paperclip could also use a big brother, so...

#12 ·
He's now claiming that the horn he sent pictures of is of the model saxophone, and that the one for sale is a laser copy of it. Hrrm. Cue Tom turning into a masshole *oh how I miss being a Bostonian*. This is going to be almost as fun as telemarketers.

He did send me a picture of his horn next to the Orsi

The story has changed - not a good sign. Can you post the photos of the 2 horns side by side?

#13 ·
Ya. It's uploading now. He CLAIMS that his model has the exact engraving as well, which is why the one that he originally posted didn't have a serial number. Changlong factory is apparently the manufacturer. Oh well. Was entertaining while it lasted. although now that I look at it, the two horns appear to be photoshopped. Hrrm. Hey Randy, how about a trade for your Eppie? Or know anyone who wants a bari/tenor for a bass?

#14 ·
Actually, about 20 years ago I ran across a guy who wanted to trade a Conn stencil with soldered tone holes for a baritone. It needed a ton of work, but the trade would have been a good deal. I already had a bass at the time, so I passed.

It just goes to show you, if you look long and hard, the good deals are out there.

#15 ·
Ya, so I bailed on the guy. The no serial number freaked me out. I really wanted an Orsi contra. Sorry Randy, I know your Eppie could smoke it, but the Orsi is such a looker *and probably half the cost now*. I prefer the look of Bb horns anyway, but wouldn't complain if any bass or contra showed up on my doorstep.

#16 ·
interesting practice, entirely Chinese small dealer marketing strategy.
They copy horns in China, it is a well known fact. The horn they copy is used to lure in the customers and then they tell them that they are bidding on a copy (what does ebay think of this?) this is a first. I know that in China 1500$ to 2000$ should be the price for a Chinese made bass saxophone but to buy from a unreliable source selling with sneaky methods is not something I would recommend.

Do follow the reports on the coming Musikmesse my guess is that there will be many more bass saxophones there this year than there were last year (and better ones, Stephen Howard and Pete Thomas will test a few for sure!) , after that you could consider ordering one from a more reputable and accountable source.

#17 ·
And that worldwide shipping of $150 for something the size and weight (...about 29kg, include pack stuff...) of a well padded contra, also seems a bit of a fairy tale...

Imagine taking that parcel to your local Post Office :shock:

#24 ·
Wow, you and I must be talking to the same person. He has a bari for $305, a bass for $400 and a contrabass for $1800 and the shipping prices seem way too low as I have bought stuff from China before. I really want to believe the above but something tells me no way. I really want a newer bari so after a few questions he sent me some really nice bari pictures. A contact that I have over in China told me that there is no way he can sell them for that and he gave me some wholesale figures of what he can buy these horns for. This ebay seller really wanted me to buy direct and send him a Western Union payment. My Chinese contact told me that I would never see the money again with no way to legally get it back and that even if I did buy on ebay with paypal it would still be a hassle and I would be out of something. Before I went that far I checked out this thread http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin...d.php?t=100629 which was a great help and changed my mind, thank you for posting this. Even if I did get the horn as listed, I am thinking that the hassle of dealing with a more than likely inferior product would not be worth it in the long run, I want something that I can keep and play for a while, not playing with the horn or always having in the shop for repair. There are some good horns coming from China and some honest sellers, just not always easy to find out who they are. We all want a "deal" and these horns are tempting, these sellers know and depend on that. For now I am going to just keep on working with my Bundy bari project until I can save up more $$ to buy a descent horn from someone that I can trust. If someone does have experience different from this then please share it with me (us all).

#25 ·
Go buy a Barone bari and kiss all of your bari problems goodbye, Cost and quality wise, you're set. No I don't work for Phil, just think he makes good horns.

We very well could be talking with the same guy, but oh well. I had an entertaining email conversation with him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.