Sax on the Web Forum banner

Who uses circular breathing?

9K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Grumps 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Tehe. Mr.Gorelick :banghead:

:scratch:
Jeff Coffin uses it from time to time as well.
Harry Carney and Lenny Picket did as well from what I've heard.
I saw James Carter use it a couple of times on flute, but not often.

It's not a very commonly practiced technique, but best of luck.

Alphorn players use it, as do didgeridoo players if that's of any help to you.

#5 ·
That article is/was a spoof - no factual basis.

It's not an issue of how many use circular breathing and live. The FACT is that there is no build up of excessive pressure. If people die of excessive backpressure due to playing wind instruments, there would be no French horn players over 23 years old.

#6 ·
I am doing a research project and need to compile a list of all famous saxophonists who have used circular breathing. Can you suggest a few names?

My paper is going to be a response to the following article: Unsafe Sax: cohort study of the impact of too much sax on the mortality of famous jazz musicians (PDF)

It's not an issue of how many use circular breathing and live. The FACT is that there is no build up of excessive pressure. If people die of excessive backpressure due to playing wind instruments, there would be no French horn players over 23 years old.
And no oboeists over 18 and bagpipers over 10

#7 ·
I am doing a research project and need to compile a list of all famous saxophonists who have used circular breathing. Can you suggest a few names?

My paper is going to be a response to the following article: Unsafe Sax: cohort study of the impact of too much sax on the mortality of famous jazz musicians (PDF)

Even if it was a spoof, major media outlets reported it as fact, basically creating a myth that saxophonists die young. My paper is going to prove that is not true.

#8 ·
Evan Parker

He does that mostly with the soprano and he is very very good (close to overwhelming if you observe and listen to him live)!

#10 ·

Even if it was a spoof, major media outlets reported it as fact, basically creating a myth that saxophonists die young. My paper is going to prove that is not true.
How 'bout exercising your paper here before you go to publication then? As I said, citing "evidence" that there exist players who use circular breathing that are still alive does not establish a case for refuting the spoof.

#12 ·
I am confident that there are a great many didg' players that could go longer than any "official" record - they just don't care.

I "double" on didg' and it is not about how long you can circular breathe, it's more about getting into a "state" where you just play and create.

#15 ·
From Wikipedia:

• Jeff Coffin - jazz musician best known as a saxophonist but also plays clarinet and flute. Is a member of Béla Fleck and the Flecktones
• Rahsaan Roland Kirk - jazz multi-instrumentalist[4]
• Roscoe Mitchell - jazz multi-instrumentalist[5]
• Hamiet Bluiett - American jazz and avant garde baritone saxophonist
• David Murray- Plays tenor saxophone and, on occasion, bass clarinet[6]
• James Carter - saxophonist, flautist, and bass clarinetist
• Evan Parker - saxophone player
• Lenny Pickett - saxophone player with the 1970s funk band Tower of Power and SNL band
• Pharoah Sanders - tenor saxophonist
• Kenny G - American saxophonist
• John Surman - baritone and soprano saxophonist[citation needed]
• John Zorn - avant-garde saxophonist and composer
• Femi Kuti - Afrobeat and jazz saxophonist[citation needed]
• Harry Carney - baritone saxophonist with Duke Ellington's Orchestra

#16 ·

How 'bout exercising your paper here before you go to publication then? As I said, citing "evidence" that there exist players who use circular breathing that are still alive does not establish a case for refuting the spoof.
I am not going to base my entire paper on the circular breathing myth, that's just a part of it. I'm going to look at all famous jazz saxophonists, regardless if they circular breath or not, and calculate their life expectancy. I'd be happy to send you my paper when I am finished.

Does anyone know if John Coltrane circular breathed? It's been suggested that he learned how, but did he ever use it in a solo?

#17 ·
I am not going to base my entire paper on the circular breathing myth, that's just a part of it. I'm going to look at all famous jazz saxophonists, regardless if they circular breath or not, and calculate their life expectancy. I'd be happy to send you my paper when I am finished.
What of the influence of secondhand smoke, drug abuse, and alcohol abuse?

What is the target audience of your paper? Is this to be submitted for peer review? (I review articles for several scientific journals.)

#23 ·
Basically all of the saxophonist in the "free improvisation" camp circular breathe. In fact I'd be hard pressed to think of one that doesn't.

Evan Parker
John Butcher
Michel Doneda
Jack Wright
Joe McPhee
Stephane Rives
Christine Sehnaoui
Dave Gross
Bhob Rainey
Vinny Golia
Bryan Eubanks
Yedo Gibsen
Renato Ferreira
Roscoe Mitchell
Mats Gustafsson
Charles Evans

Just off the top of my head, there are plenty more from whence these came.

#26 ·
Rather than open up a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one because of an experience at a band rehearsal last week. I learned to circular breath back in high school, and of course the only time I found it worthwhile to use was when I wanted to show off (it was high school, you know). I would revisit it over the years, but never put it into practice and forgot about it accordingly. So getting back to last week... I had just played a solo on a tune at practice and afterwards our keyboard player asked me if I was circular breathing. I asked why and she said she saw me puffing out my cheeks in spots. I pondered over this... then when she asked, showed how I could do it. Then I realized... I had been doing it. It seems while soloing, if I get into a certain rhythm/riff... I do it subconsciously as I go along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.