Selmer Super Action 80 Series II Social group. - Page 12
Viking Instruments
Hyson Music
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Selmer Super Action 80 Series II Social group.

Hello, am new to the forum with a SA80-2 black lacquer tenor I bought in 2015. I tried lots of saxes at the shop in Paris and this one had the sound I was looking for. I think the series is underrated, because none of the Ref 54 or 36 I tried had that "little more" (apart from cosmetics and metal rests)and if I wanted a Mk6 or an SBA I would get one. I think it's all in the mind and ears of the player. I tested every sax I played against a digital tuner and the S2s were no better, no worse than all the others. Except for the D flat which was 20" off the rest but I've learned to modulate my sound. Sure the S2 needs to be setup right (action is stiff when new so adjusted screws and needles, G sharp pads stuck so cleaned up a bit, and palm keys needed bending) and that takes a few visits to the tech. After 3 visits it was right on. I also have an alto 'The Martin' 1959 which sounds (to me) better than any other alto I've played from that era but the ergos need getting used to, but not very difficult. I won't buy more vintage to play because the amount of maintenance I spend on the Martin is ten times the time I spend on the S2. I would love to get a Martin tenor but ergos are way off what I'm used to. Anyway, here's me rattling on. Nice to be here.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kirvind View Post
    Hello, am new to the forum with a SA80-2 black lacquer tenor I bought in 2015. I tried lots of saxes at the shop in Paris and this one had the sound I was looking for. I think the series is underrated, because none of the Ref 54 or 36 I tried had that "little more" (apart from cosmetics and metal rests)and if I wanted a Mk6 or an SBA I would get one. I think it's all in the mind and ears of the player. I tested every sax I played against a digital tuner and the S2s were no better, no worse than all the others. Except for the D flat which was 20" off the rest but I've learned to modulate my sound. Sure the S2 needs to be setup right (action is stiff when new so adjusted screws and needles, G sharp pads stuck so cleaned up a bit, and palm keys needed bending) and that takes a few visits to the tech. After 3 visits it was right on. I also have an alto 'The Martin' 1959 which sounds (to me) better than any other alto I've played from that era but the ergos need getting used to, but not very difficult. I won't buy more vintage to play because the amount of maintenance I spend on the Martin is ten times the time I spend on the S2. I would love to get a Martin tenor but ergos are way off what I'm used to. Anyway, here's me rattling on. Nice to be here.
    Welcome and agreed!

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it comes to compare the Series II toward other modern Selmers, I find it as the best. Indeed the Reference is a superb horn and has an amazing response, and power, and sound, but there is something at the projection, resistance, core sound of the Series II that makes it IMO the best thing Selmer has done. Do not want to start a debate over other models, including the Mark VI, but speaking on Altos, the Series II is way close if not at the same level that great Mark VI's I have tried, and I have tried a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Yes, Selmer do make some incredible saxes, and the S2 Alto stands right up there with the best of them. Saw on some website, apart from MK6s, today's pros use SA80SII Altos and Keilwerth SX90R Tenors more than any other, except when they are sponsored by a manufacturer. Unfortunately can't remember if it was for classic or contemporary music.

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Yes, Selmer do make some incredible saxes, and the S2 Alto stands right up there with the best of them. Saw on some website, apart from MK6s, today's pros use SA80SII Altos and Keilwerth SX90R Tenors more than any other, except when they are sponsored by a manufacturer. Unfortunately can't remember if it was for classic or contemporary music.
    Please if you remember the source, share it. I still dig in why not as much pros do use or show the use of Series II as I expected for such a great horn. In the classical musicians I know it is pretty much present, but also for jazz and blues, pop performers, IMO it should be present in a high degree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was Cafe saxophone but I'll check it out.

Just got this fabulous tone with a link STM NY 7*, 2 1/2 Van Doren JAVA playing In a sentimental mood. Frankly I didn't know I had it in me. It was purrrfect. Can someone else try this setup and tell me if it was just me being lucky?

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes complete sense. But if it works for you, it is great. Not necessarily works for all of us.

I think it was Cafe saxophone but I'll check it out.

Just got this fabulous tone with a link STM NY 7*, 2 1/2 Van Doren JAVA playing In a sentimental mood. Frankly I didn't know I had it in me. It was purrrfect. Can someone else try this setup and tell me if it was just me being lucky?

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of these days the Series II, at least what has to do with sops, altos, tenors, baritones, may be added to the past of the Selmer production. With the Axos being so close in design to the Series II, it is of some logic to consulted people in the business that a new prototype is going to come out, but that maybe the Series III or a variation of it may remain as the saxophone to choose between it and the Reference 54. Maybe only sopranino and bass saxophones may still be Series II, but wherever you see a Series III, may it be the new standard and the Axos is going to be the one to compete against the Japanese pro horns that are in that price range.

Time will tell.... but what might be in many of us the best Selmer ever did as for the Series II Alto (it is my opinion), and baritone, though all the range is magnificent, is not far away of becoming no longer in production.

JI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorroperro View Post
    As it comes to compare the Series II toward other modern Selmers, I find it as the best. Indeed the Reference is a superb horn and has an amazing response, and power, and sound, but there is something at the projection, resistance, core sound of the Series II that makes it IMO the best thing Selmer has done. Do not want to start a debate over other models, including the Mark VI, but speaking on Altos, the Series II is way close if not at the same level that great Mark VI's I have tried, and I have tried a lot.
    I'm curious as to your thoughts on the resistance of the SA2. Would you consider it to have a lot or a little resistance?

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyI View Post
    I'm curious as to your thoughts on the resistance of the SA2. Would you consider it to have a lot or a little resistance?
    IMO The Series II has more resistance than other Selmer horns. I cannot speak about other saxophones. IMO, the Series II offers more resistance, which I like, the Reference comes next and the Series III, while having some of it, might be the less resistant.