Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What would be the best sax for investment purposes

or a watch to tell the time or a car to drive...and yet
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    or a watch to tell the time or a car to drive...and yet
    Has anyone actually met a person who collects saxes and doesn't play? These instruments are hardly in danger of being over collected.

Forum Contributor 2016 TurtleJimmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get the negativity to this guy's question at all ...... This is a forum about saxophones, collecting is part of the picture. This is the perfect place to gain market analysis.

Imo, the simple answer is a 5-digit Mark VI. They've been going up steadily, what makes anyone think that's not going to continue??? And imo never, under any circumstances, buy a new horn for an investment. That will likely not pay off if you live to be a hundred and twenty. Even if there were a small chance that some new horn today will gain traction and actually go up in value, which one???

Turtle
    1956 Selmer Mark VI tenor / Dukoff Hollywood 6* mp / Alexander NY reeds

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but I have met a person who collected ( he had 3 ) Hammond organs and didn’t play them.

I knew someone, the late Mr. Ghester Sartorius, who owned the largest collection of Leica cameras in the world and hardly used them. He spent his free times in writing the most important reference book for collectors and in cataloguing his enormous collection.

I think that all watch collectors do occasionally wear them and most car collectors occasionally drive them. I don’t have anything against collecting anything.

The way one spends his money hardly needs any rational justification and collecting is an excellent way to learn about things. So is also buying and selling (if you can’t afford collecting).

I had a friend who was one of the major collectors of playing cards in the world and an absolute world authority on the matter. He was no gambling man.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleJimmy View Post
    I don't get the negativity to this guy's question at all ...... This is a forum about saxophones, collecting is part of the picture. This is the perfect place to gain market analysis.

Imo, the simple answer is a 5-digit Mark VI.

Turtle
    Bingo! And even if you have a 5-digit VI, there're still other factors that can cause the value to decrease...a saxophone is an awful choice for investment.
    TENOR: Selmer Mark VI, 10mfan Robusto HR mouthpiece/ 10mfan BOSS MTL, D'Addario Jazz Select/Vandoren ZZ reeds
    ALTO: Saxgourmet Voodoo Rex, Beechler diamond dot mouthpiece, D'Addario Jazz Select reeds
    CLARINET: Leblanc Dynamic H Pete Fountain model w/gold-plated keys, Pomarico Crystal mouthpiece, Marca PF reeds

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My business partner collects old Telechron clocks and displays them in glass cases. He doesn't use them to tell time.
    He also collects pianos. His collection is limited by space. But he does play them all.

I agree with memphissax that a saxophone is an awful choice for investment. If you want to have a physical object as an investment, I suggest buying the works of a well-known artist, especially one whose works are collected in museums and who is currently living but probably not for much longer. Buy and hold until the inevitable ...

If you don't need a physical object as an investment, consider mutual funds.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post

If you don't need a physical object as an investment, consider mutual funds.
    I guess it didn't come across in the original post that I was joking about dumping stocks and buying saxophones as an investment strategy. It was just a stab at humor. I actually wrote that post not long after the financial markets lost about 30% of their value, so at the time it did actually seem a little funny, since you would have been better off holding saxes than stocks or most real estate.

But what saxes will retain their value is actually a valid question for those of us who like to try different vintage horns. I might sell the horns I don't play, but I have kept an early Mark VI, and an engraved Mark VII, and a Selmer Super tenor around even though I have other horns I prefer. I might have sold them, but if they retain their value I might as well keep them around for the future. I didn't hold onto some other horns like a Series III and a Martin because I figured they would probably drop in value. So this is actually a reasonable question for those of us who like to play vintage horns but don't like to lose money by keeping them around.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no worries, nathan61. I wasn't being serious either. But you might also consider real estate, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, recently ranked as the highest housing market in the world, beating out New York, London, and Hong Kong.

Hang on to those Selmers.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you really advise buying investment properties in San Francisco right now? Nobody has a crystal ball, but let's look at this thread again in two years and see if that is good advice. My family lives in the Bay Area, and the people I know are investing out of State right now. I'd sure love to have a place in SF though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back around the mid 90s, I invested pretty heavily in 1989 and 1990 Bordeaux which would have been a terrific investment but unfortunately, I drank all the profits, so almost any saxophone would seem like a better investment than that. I can't say I regret it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    I don't understand why anybody buys new Selmers.
    I got lucky on a very well kept ref 36 that needed a few leaks taken care of.
    But I could have easily gone the route of Tenor Madness or PMWoodwind and paid a bit more, but they would have made sure it was in great playing shape.
    After perusing this site for several years now, I also cannot imagine buying a new Selmer.

However, if I was not married with kids and had a lot of disposable cash, I could consider going to Paris and blowing a bunch of horns and... Naw that's a waste too.
    I'd fly to Tenor Madness or PM Woodwind or somewhere and play a bunch of different horns and pick a used one out of many.
    I have fantasized about visiting Borgani or Rampone/Cazzani for one of their exotic models... hehehe... Man, it's like when I was a teenager lusting after Ferraris.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nathan61 View Post
    Would you really advise buying investment properties in San Francisco right now? Nobody has a crystal ball, but let's look at this thread again in two years and see if that is good advice. My family lives in the Bay Area, and the people I know are investing out of State right now. I'd sure love to have a place in SF though.
    Again, I'm not being very serious in my "investment advice." If you bought in the Bay Area today, you're probably buying at the top of the market. Not a very good strategy. But people are doing it, especially foreign investors. The problem is, they are buying housing stock in places like SF and Vancouver and leaving them vacant. It's simply a way to store money away from a foreign (sometimes corrupt) government. And sometimes the money being stored is from ill-gotten gains.

The only way to make a killing in the SF housing market is if you bought 20 years ago or more. If you're serious about real estate investing, look at places like Portland, where Californians are moving to because they can't afford to live here anymore. Or consider Idaho. The next boom state?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear tell that Saxophone Lamps, especially Selmer ones, are the coming growth market. The time to buy in is now, or simply take all your excess of backup horns and turn them into lamps.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    Or consider Idaho. The next boom state?
    No ocean in Idaho, and it's a lot colder in the winter. I'm guessing it probably isn't the best place for saxophone gigs, though I could be wrong about that. Great skiing though.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no ocean in the entire midwest and the winters can be brutal. You can buy a mansion there for a third the cost of a basic fixer-upper in the Bay Area (if you can find one). There must be sax gigs too, especially in major cities. I've lived in Wisconsin, Michigan and Missouri. I ain't never going back. I live right on the ocean now. Sea level rise will take my house eventually but I'll be gone. My kids will inherit a house that's literally under water. But I'm never living through a Wisconsin or Michigan winter again. Here's my best investment advice: buy low, sell high.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5