Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What would be the best sax for investment purposes

An autographed Madoff Burlap Sack.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole thing has changed because of the worldwide economic scene. Also, I wish people would buy saxophones for the purpose of playing not as an investment. But, if you must, I would get a relac MK6. There will always be a demand for MK6 saxophones and the relacs can be had for a reasonable price. They will go up in value.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    I think this whole subject sucks.

I agree. I have a lot of expensive and collectable saxes, and when people see them, the question most often asked is "How much did THAT cost?" I consider the question to be rude, and I've stopped answering.

The next question I usually get is "How many gigs do you think you're going to play on THAT?" My usual answer is, "None."

I buy horns because I like them, or because for me they are a good deal. Over the years the stuff I purchased has increased faster than the rate of inflation, and often faster than the rate of interest offered by a bank. In short, I would have been stupid to leave the money in the bank, but that's not why I buy saxophones.

Buy a saxophone because you love it. If the value doesn't go up, who cares? It's a great horn and you'll get your money's worth by playing it.

Having said that, buying saxophones, especially really good ones, is not the worst way to spend your money.
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to think of this old thread today when I saw a thread advertising a Martin alto as being a great investment because it has appreciated the last 10 years.

I don’t know where this person in search for punters has been but, aside from the usual suspects, my experience as a buyer and seller has been that most brands (again, aside the usual suspects) have been steadily losing exactly in the last 10 years.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. I bought a True Tone Bb tenor just before the market collapse. I paid a fair price at the time, $500 for one needing an overhaul, but in really good shape. Now I could not sell it for anything close to the money I have in it. Of course, I did not buy it for an investment.

2. The presumption of this thread is "I am going to buy saxophones for an investment," and it is followed by the question, "which ones should I buy?"

I think the correct answer is "5 digit mark VI."

3. The warnings about the vagaries of any "collection" item market are spot on. The tulip bubble is a warning for everyone.

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many of us coming back to the scene after 30+ years were surprised classic examples were so affordable. Its great that a classic sax can be had, in excellent condition, super-tuned and setup for half of a new professional sax. Sax depreciation/appreciation is inverted from most all other instruments, where classics are running twice or more than a new equivalent.
    Best, Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musekatcher View Post
    Many of us coming back to the scene after 30+ years were surprised classic examples were so affordable. Its great that a classic sax can be had, in excellent condition, super-tuned and setup for half of a new professional sax. Sax depreciation/appreciation is inverted from most all other instruments, where classics are running twice or more than a new equivalent.
    Good point musekatcher. I just bought a Selmer Reference 36 tenor. I could get a Mark VI for about half the price of a new Reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which makes you think that the real overpriced things are new horns .
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musekatcher View Post
    Sax depreciation/appreciation is inverted from most all other instruments, where classics are running twice or more than a new equivalent.
    I don't think this is very accurate, however....I deal in more than just saxes and can say this w/ no hesitation.

Brass, percussion, many strings, etc...is often the same thing. You can generally get a better Trumpet, Trombone, clarinet, flute, drum kit, cymbal, bass, guitar, etc. in used/vintage than you can in New, for a fraction of price, still. Sorta in the same vein as buying vintage saxes - yes, there might be the few Grails out there which have exhorbitant pricetags, but anyone doing a tad of research will end up with a much better quality instrument for less $ in any of these categories than buying new.

Again, setting aside the "Grails" or "Outlier" uber-top shelf models which really should not be particularly brought into the equation, IMHO.

(Sure you can say a new Ref 36 is more expensive than certain VI's...but you can still certainly buy a new, top-notch Yani, Borgani, or Yama for cheaper than many, many, many VI's in comparable playing condition).

I think Milandro's restart comment is germane. Heck, there is something known as Economic Downturn, which back 10 years ago nobody either thought too much about - or even afterward most failed to clue in to the severity (and permanence; and likely coming repetition) of the '08 debacle....

The first things to nosedive as far as market values would be the things which had been 'catching on' as hot items and increasing in market value over a short time. While the ones which wouldn't nosedive would be the ones which had been increasing in market value steadily over a long period.

This is basically what we see, here today, 8 years after this thread was started.

Mark VI, S20...maybe a Buescher THC....have maintained or increased in market value. Martins, Conns, most Kings, most Bueschers; basically the vast majority of vintage makes USA or European, not consistently so.

Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009 Keith Ridenhour's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amen, Gary
    Bachelor of Music Education UMSL , two years at Berklee College of Music
    My First solo CD was out in 2016 AutoMatrix. The lead cut is on my Webpage Ksaxman under Sonoma Soul. Working on the second one now. All original songs.
    I have videos of me with three different bands on my webpage Ksaxman.com Mostly have gigged with the Jami Jamison band for 16 years and my band Sonoma Soul for 2 years. K

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    I had to think of this old thread today when I saw a thread advertising a Martin alto as being a great investment because it has appreciated the last 10 years.
    A Martin alto in good condition was worth about $500 ten years ago. It's worth about the same today. But the $500 is worth less.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nathan61 View Post
    Good point musekatcher. I just bought a Selmer Reference 36 tenor. I could get a Mark VI for about half the price of a new Reference.
    I don't understand why anybody buys new Selmers.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    I don't understand why anybody buys new Selmers.
    It does seem crazy to buy a new one when you can find a used one for a good price. There are certainly way more saxes in the world than people who play them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    A Martin alto in good condition was worth about $500 ten years ago. It's worth about the same today. But the $500 is worth less.
    And that shows how local conditions were even more different 10 years ago , more so than they are now.

Back then the average price of an Handcraft or Indiana was (HERE) around €1000 and now you are lucky to get €500. Same thing for a TT really.

On the hand i see now some horns sold here for less that they would cost as unplayable horns sold ready to go and shipped.

I certainly can’t even buy them at those prices let alone selling them.

Very different situations and local conditions must be at play.

As for alternative investments some folks invest in wine and whisky both are apparently selling very well in the far East , vintage cars are, once again, picking up in price.

Should the wisky drop below his buying price you can still drink it though! ( for the wine that is not always the case, some bottles of the really old stuff are just traded for the sake of owning an historical and undrinkable fluid in old glass and label)

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    [COLOR="#800080"]I don't think this is very accurate, however....I deal in more than just saxes and can say this w/ no hesitation.

Brass, percussion, many strings, etc...is often the same thing. You can generally get a better Trumpet, Trombone, clarinet, flute, drum kit, cymbal, bass, guitar, etc. in used/vintage than you can in New, for a fraction of price,
    Well lets compare notes. I'm thinking of strings: 1930's L5, D28, F5, RB3, or any of the various 18th/19th century violins, cellos and upright collectables - all of which can break six figures. The same item by the same manufacturer or country today are much cheaper than these classic standards by which all others are judged. Even solid body guitars and even amps in like-new condition from the 60's sell for double or more than the current production equivalent. Isn't that the nature of antiques, and vintage collectables? But in the case of saxes, its almost the opposite. The most collectable classic standard saxes by which all others are judged, are available for less or half a new one, especially if you exclude the MVI. You have to agree, its amazing that you can find an original 90% lacquer MVI for under 6k, and a new "Reference 54" cost more? Much less a great condition Buescher or King or 10M? I'm going to maintain saxes are an exception to the collectable instrument trend.
    Best, Jim

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbaird View Post
    I think VIIs are a big bang for their buck, especially if you want a really good horn just to play.
    I'd certainly agree with that.
    But remember there will always be plenty who've never even played one around to **** on them in an effort to justify paying too much for their very ordinary playing MKVI.
    For me though it would be the Selmer Super series horns.
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting this asinine thread was pathetic on the OP's part
    TENOR: Selmer Mark VI, 10mfan Robusto HR mouthpiece/ 10mfan BOSS MTL, D'Addario Jazz Select/Vandoren ZZ reeds
    ALTO: Saxgourmet Voodoo Rex, Beechler diamond dot mouthpiece, D'Addario Jazz Select reeds
    CLARINET: Leblanc Dynamic H Pete Fountain model w/gold-plated keys, Pomarico Crystal mouthpiece, Marca PF reeds

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by memphissax View Post
    You have got to be kidding. Pathetic?

Surely a person might
    1) want to be a collector and
    2) wonder which horns might prove to appreciate the most without
    3) being pathetic.

[I did, however, suppose that his last line about rationalizing his collection to the extent of liquidating all of his stock to be a joke. If it was not, then I would agree that the description of ill-advised does not begin to touch it.]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by memphissax View Post
    Sorry to waste your precious time with a thread that is not to your liking, memphissax. For me it is actually interesting to look back at what people said 8 years ago. There are some who thought Selmers and other vintage horns would increase in value. At this time it seems like they were wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought you bought a musical instrument to play it.

"A lot of people are afraid of heights, I'm afraid of widths" ~ Steven Wright.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast