NASA Website

Thread: NASA Website

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NASA Website

The North American Saxophone Alliance has recently upgraded and revamped their website, including a new discussion forum. Non-members can browse the forum, but NASA members only are entitled to post. It could be a nice complement to discussions occurring here on SOTW.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and D'Addario artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NASA Website

What should I expect from NASA membership? I joined the organization last month for a two-year hitch. I figured, why not? In the past, I've gotten a lot of value out of memberships in organizations in fields in which I was active as an amateur rather than an academic (Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, Dictionary Society of North America).

However, it does not appear that NASA publishes any kind of journal or newsletter. Is that correct? I'm aware of the biennial conference, of course, but I won't be attending that. (Won't be able to attend in 2016 either, because our band will be hosting the Association of Concert Bands convention that year). The NASA website forum, to put it kindly, is decidedly slow. I won't offer a direct comparison to the activity level of SOTW. Is there anything else available from the organization? Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It appears that the NASA benefits are too numerous to be listed!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is what happens when you follow up a thread several years old and with one post alone

however, following their mission statement you learn that:

“...The North American Saxophone Alliance (NASA) is a Non-profit organization comprised of performers, teachers, students, scholars, and enthusiasts of the saxophone.

The mission of the Alliance is to provide resources for saxophonists at all levels of skill, of all ages and backgrounds, and of varied musical styles by disseminating information about saxophone performance and pedagogy, by providing opportunities for music making, by fostering and facilitating the creation of new repertoire, by providing a communication network, and by promoting the musical activities of its members.....”

Their Constitution

“....
    Article 01: Name
    This organization shall be known as the North American Saxophone Alliance, hereinafter also referred to as the "Alliance," or "N. A. S. A.", incorporated under the laws of the State of North Carolina as a nonprofit organization in 1988.

Article 02: Location
    The official headquarters of the North American Saxophone Alliance shall be in the United States. The registered office is School of Music, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858-4353. The official address may be changed from time to time by the Executive Committee.

Article 03: Purpose
    The aims and purposes of North American Saxophone Alliance shall be:

(1) To foster the firm establishment of the saxophone as a medium of serious musical expression, encouraging its use in a wide variety of musical settings, including chamber music, jazz, commercial music, symphonic music, ensembles of saxophones, and its use as a solo instrument.

(2) To foster the establishment of a substantial body of music that includes saxophone.

Read more
    Article 04: Powers
    Section 1: The Alliance shall have the powers necessary and proper to the achievement of the aforementioned purposes for which the Alliance is established.

Section 2: Notwithstanding any other provisions of these articles, the Alliance shall not carry on any activities not permitted to be carried on by a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding provision of any future United States Internal Revenue Law.

Read more
    Article 05: Membership
    Section 1: Membership in the Alliance shall be open to any individual upon payment of annual dues. For purposes of membership expiration and renewal, the fiscal year is divided into two halves. Annual memberships are started and/or renewed in accordance with the half in which dues are received for deposit by the Treasurer. Multi-year memberships may be purchased with a discount as determined by the executive committee.......”
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    this is what happens when you follow up a thread several years old and with one post alone
    Please do not shout.

This is a sticky thread. That's why I chose it. And I plainly did follow up my first post with a second post.

however, following their mission statement you learn that:
    Naturally, I've read all that already. It does not answer my question, but thanks anyway.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: NASA Website

LostConn

SHOUTING is done by using capitals, the type I used aren’t capitals but just a different type (bold, but lower case) to differentiate my writing from what I was quoting..............

You are welcome.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't been on in a bit. Sorry you couldn't make the conference -- there were 3 days of performances, collegiate and solo competitions, and great evening concerts. Over 1,000 saxophonists exchanging music and ideas. As for publication -- yes, the Saxophone Symposium is the scholarly journal of NASA. Vol. 36 (collecting research and writing from 2013) will be combined with Vol. 37 (2014) to be published as a double issue in early 2015.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and D'Addario artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drakesaxprof View Post
    As for publication -- yes, the Saxophone Symposium is the scholarly journal of NASA. Vol. 36 (collecting research and writing from 2013) will be combined with Vol. 37 (2014) to be published as a double issue in early 2015.
    Thank you very much. It would be helpful if that information were prominently posted on the NASA website. I'd also suggest one or more of the following for the publication, depending on what is technically and/or financially feasible:
    • Back issues available as PDF downloads
    • Back issues available by mail order
    • Tables of contents of back issues listed
    • Selected articles from back issues republished on site

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I will pass your suggestions along to the Director of Scholarly Publications, Eric Nestler at UNT.
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sad part to this conversation is that SOTW is what NASA should be like. Even as one who just observes the threads there is a wealth of variety and opinion.Just look at the vibrancy of the board. IMHO NASA forum should be wrapped up and rolled into or co partner with
    SOTW. There would be much more activity.Just a thought.
    DF
    Donald J. Fabian
    Professor of Saxophone, Southern Methodist University
    Principal Saxophone, Dallas Wind Symphony
    Soprano Saxophone, Texas Saxophone Quartet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is unfortunate that the NASA forum is not as populated as it should be.
    Resources available to NASA members include Hertz discount, Avis discount, Clarion instrument insurance discount, access to dissertations, more immediate NASA updates.

Two important updates:
    NASA's finances, as well as centralized membership and administration services have been taken over by Madeleine Crouch & Co., Inc.
    With stronger, external support in these areas I am intrigued to see the effect this will have. It is currently in the transitional phase.

NASA will also have a new website soon. I'm sure that they have taken into consideration the lack of bustling activity in the forums, and are designing it with cohesiveness in mind.

We as members of NASA are partially to blame for not participating more in the NASA forums! Although website design and ease of use is a large part of it, the organization itself can only do so much!

Kyle M