Sax on the Web Forum banner

What Yanagisawa do you own?

Yanagisawa owners club

275K views 675 replies 391 participants last post by  Yanilover26 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Yanagisawa owners club. Which Yanagisawa do you own, what mpc and reeds do you use with it, and what kind of playing do you enjoy?

T991 tenor
Yanagisawa 6 HR mpc or JJ HR* 6*
Rico Select Jazz 2M filed
demonstrating things in beginner and intermediate band classes, playing along with Aebersold CDs

#537 ·
Happy new owner ebay purchase T-880. Plays, good sound.

Physically in excellent condition for its age. No dents or dings, none. Relatively minor scratching and miniscule lacquer imperfection. Very clean and no odor. Original case fully functional, but shows use. My guess is pads are original, very clean.

It will take a trip to see a tech. Fingers crossed, a bit of noise in the action (corks) and the left hand pinkie table action is adjusted very light. Maybe some pads and adjustment

Bonus, came with a well used Selmer S 80 C* and good Meyer 5m mouthpiece, both in playable condition.

Sorry to run on, but i lucked into a really nice sax and exactly what I wanted. 🙃

#538 ·
Just joined the club! Bought a TW02 and had my first chance to practice with it today. Very very impressed. Impeccable build quality, amazing keywork, very versatile, and a nice depth of tone for a very free blowing horn. Maybe it's the bronze? Who knows. All I can tell you is that Yani really nailed it with this one. Very excited about this horn and looking forward to spending a lot of time with it in the coming years.

#540 ·
I recently acquired a beautiful a880 for my daughter; looks to have original pads, nary a scratch on it, and plays great. Only thing is , the keywork is a bit noisy in spots. She has had a sc800 for a few years, and gets on beautifully with it. A minor, but still cool thing, is that both horns are from the same time period and they both came with the nice brown, large grain leather cases with the gold interior...a matching set! :)

#543 ·
Save me please - I wish to ask what is the worth of a Yanagisawa A3? I'm seeking some enlightenment as to it's playability and tonality. I believe the A3 was Yanagisawa's first alto and based upon the Martin Committee III design (thanks Wikipedia). I ask coz' I just "so love" vintage saxes if only for their aesthetic beauty.

thanks in advance

Glenn

#544 ·
SC991B #0266XXX (When was this made, just out of curosity?) I'm the second owner, it is in very good condition, with only a slight acid bleed on one of the key foot joints.
An older Otto Link 6 Tone Edge
La Voz, Rico Royal or Vandoran
Sax Quartet, Big Band and Jazz Summer Schools

Thanks,

Peter.

#546 ·
Yani's are great, precise key work with double arms on troublesome keys (the low A on the Bari is solid), excellent intonation.

The cases are OK, nothing special...

S992
A992
T9935
B9930

#551 ·
I play an a992 with a Selmer C* and Vandoren blue box 3 reeds for classical, and a Vandoren V16 A5M with Red Java 3.5's or V16 3's for pretty much everything else. I play classical in recitals at college and play jazz combo stuff with friends on the side. Lots of playing along with Aebersold CD's and such as well.

Been wanting to try a high baffle / brighter sounding mpc for more contemporary applications. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

#552 ·
Just replaced my old A-990u with a new A-WO10, joins my T-991. It took a little while to get used to the new front F key, but I now like it better. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I like the Yani 7 mouthpiece that came with the new horn as well as or better than any of the 4 other alto mouthpieces I have too. I definitely like the new case better than the 991 case too. I use Otto Link STM on the tenor and Legere signature on both.

#555 ·
Just got a Yani S900 soprano, and so far she seems to be a good player. I am playing a Lakey Jazz mouthpiece with a Rico Royal reed on it, and this setup plays very nicely with lots of projection but still retains that nasal core that I like.

#559 · (Edited)
Yanagisawa AWO10 with its stock HR 5 mouthpiece and Légère Signature 3.5 reeds. I play almost exclusively classical, but for the occasional jazz, I use a Meyer 6MM and Fibracell Premier 4.5 reeds.

#562 ·
I am now back in the Yani club with a minty 901 alto. This is my second 901 alto, and I don't know why this model does not get the praise that it so deserves. Everything on this horn, from the tone to the ergonomics, is just impeccable. I have compared it to my 1968 Mark VI, and the Yani held its ground nicely.

In a way, it is good that someone has (wrongly) marketed this model as an "entry level" horn--i.e, student horn--because that keeps the price down for us who know their quality and want to buy them.