Sax on the Web Forum banner

Play-along software for Raspberry Pi?

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Eulipion2 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there's something like Band-in-a-Box or iReal Pro that can run on a Raspberry Pi? I'd like to set up a RPi in my practice space that I can link to my music library for transcribing, and having some play-along software would be a nice addition. I think MuseScore runs on RPi if I ever want to compose/arrange something on the go, but I'd hate to use it for playback.

#3 ·
No. Why don't you get an atom powered PC instead. They run windows and therefore could run Band in a Box for Windows.
Because I have multiple Raspberry Pis, but no Atom pcs. :( Besides, if I had something capable of running Windows I'd probably Hackintosh it anyway. I've been using my iPad running through a tv (better speaker), and it's fine. I just like complicated solutions to simple problems. :twisted:

#4 ·
I believe that your only choice is to use a DAW like LMMS to handle playback/editing of MIDI files. Then you'd need a MIDI file library of the tunes you want to play along with. The jazz Real Book MIDI files I've found are pretty cheesy but you might find some that are decent if you look.

BTW, I've never tried LMMS on a Pi, just a laptop running Ubuntu. I never got far with it since I own lots of music software for Windows.

My 2-cents.

#7 ·
That’s a good one. :)

when I was using large format cameras I always said to myself that I belonged to a group of people whom went by the motto “ Why do it the simple way when you can do it the VERY difficult way!”

Few years ago I decided that life was too short for that!

#9 ·
#10 ·
since I am semi-retired I have too but yet I don’t scratch my right ear using my left hand (I often see people doing this with their phone by the way, never understood why).

Check out Ireal Pro, really, at this point I don’t know anyone who doesn’t use it on Apple or Android.

I understand being peculiar about computer things but everything has to be a means to an end.

#11 ·
Check out Ireal Pro, really, at this point I don't know anyone who doesn't use it on Apple or Android.
I'm already using that.

#13 ·
then I don't understand the question, if you already have IrealPro, why don't you use it, the devices are small and their capability is huge.
I am using it. As I mentioned above, I'd prefer to have a purpose built practice system that I can just leave in my practice space, that I can control remotely via wireless mouse/keyboard, something I can't do with a dongle-tethered iPad. Also, I just really like to tinker, and would like to find a use for my RPi's.

Basically, I have a solution that works, but I want a different solution that works, not out of necessity, rather out of a desire to tinker for creative purpose. I'm working on a number of other RPi and Arduino projects that I don't need, but would just be fun to make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.