Sax on the Web Forum banner

favorite kind of sax

53K views 125 replies 94 participants last post by  Jazz Is All 
#1 ·
personaly, my favorite kind of sax is tenor, how bout you?

#5 ·
BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI BARI

But I don't have the money for one so I play the tenor.

#7 ·
I love alto, but alto sax players are a dime a dozen. Notice I didn't say, good alto sax players. I'm growing to love the tenor for jazz. And I wish my soprano was as solid as my alto voicing. But it's all about the trip for me.

Oh, playing bari and bass sax are killer too. But there is only so much time in a day. :cool:

#9 ·
The majority of the students in our studio at MU are primarily alto players. Only two are primarily tenor players, and only one or two are primarily bari players (and they play alto now anyway). A majority of us are better than the dime a dozen Gandalfe talks about, but I'm more than aware of what he speaks of having gone to county and district band festivals back home and having taught elementary level for some time I see this all the time as well. Sadly at the elementary level, sometimes the students get frustrated and either quit or pick a different instrument. The ones who remain however usually turn out to be better than the dime a dozen.

#15 ·
I love alto. Soprano seems too screechy and many of the players of this sax is monotonous (I don't have to mention names do I?), and I happen to enjoy the sound of the tenor until it gets in it low notes. Alto is just perfect to listen for me. It has the best qualities and fits better for any genre of music in my opinion.

#16 ·
bluesaxgirl said:
I happen to enjoy the sound of the tenor until it gets in it low notes.
Ohh ... low notes on the tenor. Is there a sweeter sound in heaven? I don't think so. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.