Sax on the Web Forum banner

John Williams Escapades

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Wallace 
#1 ·
I am searching for a complete recording of [/i]Escapades for alto saxophone and orchestra by John Williams. Please advise if you know of any. Thank you

#3 ·
As I understand it, "Escapades" is a medley of three pieces from the "Catch Me If You Can" soundtrack. Available for saxo w/ orchestra or piano accompaniment.

I would imagine that the music can be heard on the soundtrack CD.

OANegrin

#5 ·
from what I understand the soundtrack only includes the 1st mvnt of Escapades. The entire work is around 15-16 min. Currently it is being performed all over the US. It looks like when Williams is invited to conduct his music he uses a saxophonist named Daniel Higgins. Recently I only see new performances being booked with big guys like Branford Marsalis and the Orlando phil.

#13 ·
It looks like when Williams is invited to conduct his music he uses a saxophonist named Daniel Higgins.
Pretty sure that Dan Higgins in the alto player on the Catch Me if You Can Soundtrack as well. I remember reading somewhere that Williams wrote it with Higgins in mind, but can't remember where. Dan Higgins is a top studio player & has written some great jazz etude books.

#7 ·
Sinta is doing this (with band) in Ann Arbor this month...see other post.

A piano reduction is published. The piece is more than simply excerpts from the soundtrack. John Williams filled it out more and some of the orchestral interludes in the soundtrack have been written out for the solo part. Kind of like what various arrangers have done with the Debussy Rapsodie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.