Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

To sexy for church

16K views 55 replies 42 participants last post by  hakukani 
#1 ·
A couple of Sundays ago I played Amazing Grace really straight on my tenor. After Mass the priest told me I couldn't play sax in church because it made the congregation think about sex. Needless to say I'm looking for a new place to worship.

#29 ·
I would find a new church. I mean, really? I don't think God cares about any instrument played in His house, and if it makes the people think sinfully, well that's their problem. The people at my church WANT me to play sax or clarinet in church. But I'm happy working the soundboard.

#30 ·
I was joking before. But here's my sincere take on this.

First, always remember that good people can be wrong. It doesn't make them less good, it just means they are human.

Next, make sure you are putting the sacred before the sax. Make sure you are in the right place where you are supposed to be to worship. Does the service fill you with spirit and soul? And do you truly believe to your core what is being communicated in that service? If you cannot answer yes to these questions, then that is not a truly sacred place for you. So your sax playing cannot be sacred either in that place. And this is the reason you leave a church, not because some clergy says something you don't like.

And the most important thing to do is to pray. This is about playing sacred sax. So talk to the Divine about playing sacred sax in his house. Anytime I do this, I am always shown the path to take. I have every faith that you too will be shown the way to go and it will better than before.

#31 ·
I was joking before. But here's my sincere take on this.

First, always remember that good people can be wrong. It doesn't make them less good, it just means they are human.

Next, make sure you are putting the sacred before the sax. Make sure you are in the right place where you are supposed to be to worship. Does the service fill you with spirit and soul? And do you truly believe to your core what is being communicated in that service? If you cannot answer yes to these questions, then that is not a truly sacred place for you. So your sax playing cannot be sacred either in that place. And this is the reason you leave a church, not because some clergy says something you don't like.

And the most important thing to do is to pray. This is about playing sacred sax. So talk to the Divine about playing sacred sax in his house. Anytime I do this, I am always shown the path to take. I have every faith that you too will be shown the way to go and it will better than before.
Unless someone is playing really crassly, I defy anyone to close their eyes and say ,"this guy's playing is filled with the spirit and that guy's is not". And this thread is about other people's perceptions of someone else's playing. For that matter, someone "filled with the spirit" could probably be so filled and yet out of control that they sound like they're warming up for a gig on Baltimore's "The Block".

#32 ·
Sorry, I can't help this, but I keep hearing:

I'm ....too sexy for my church, too sexy for my church...too sexy...

But seriously, I think you need to take up a collection and buy the priest a clue, because he doesn't seem to own one.

#35 ·
Sorry, I can't help this, but I keep hearing:I'm ....too sexy for my church, too sexy for my church...too sexy...
But seriously, I think you need to take up a collection and buy the priest a clue, because he doesn't seem to own one.
HAHAHAHAHA!

Anyhow: We're off to church today for a once in a blue moon experience of God etc. I do hope my daughter manages to control herself. That is my main prayer, going in.

If someone does anything remotely sexy with a saxophone (or anything else) that will be an unlooked-for bonus.

I think in a spirit of Christian charity we should perhaps give the priest a break and assume he was joking.

#37 ·
Next thing he will be handing out a list of books to burn.

What a narrow minded, bigoted, prig.
And this guy is supposed to be a leader and a teacher ???
What message is he conveying ? Certainly not one learnt
from Jesus.

#38 ·
The reeds you were playing on: we they filed or defiled? :)

I once explained to a coworker who was a conservative Christian that, as I viewed it, the choir director at the nearby Christian College and I "spoke the same language: music." It's just that I "spoke" in a different "dialect" and "I have a heavy accent."

#40 ·
....and next you will tell me that Jesus associated with prostitutes.

Sorry, but the priest is a twit. Unless someone actually told him they thought of sex during Amazing Grace, how would he know? By the comment, we now know what the priest was thinking about. I would have actually challenged him at the time but alas, he may have lost a soul.

#44 ·
I played an easter mass with a choir this weekend and the priest (preacher?? --> the guy in weird clothes who was shouting) said aloud the sax made him feel like he was on a date, but he had the intelligence to turn it around and say "we're all on a date with god"... What's really funny, when you know where I stand re:religion, is the fact that I was playing in a church during a service. :twisted:

#45 ·
I've done sound and recordings, as well as performing many times in various types of religious services--some of which I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy behind the service. I was a professional doing a job. Most of the people I was working for understood this. If you don't make a big deal about it, it just never comes up. (well, unless they're fasting, and you bring lunch not realizing that they're fasting).:whistle:

#49 ·
I think this is all too weird... my only paying gig so far was in a Church! I think I can say with confidence that, despite my swinging some 8th notes, no one in the house committed any mental sins at that point ( in relation to the sax, that is). Sounds like a strange story worth telling to me..... getting kicked off a gig for being too sexy! It's usually the opposite problem, I find, haha.

#51 ·
Wow – I am reading these posts and thinking how bizarre this is…

I attend a Fundamental Baptist church in the Midwest – Translate “Ultra-Conservative”. When I received the music schedule for April, I saw that I was scheduled to play Easter Sunday. Knowing that Easter Sunday is always packed with the Twice-a-Year churchgoing crowd, I was even more concerned. I asked the Lord what he wanted me to play. He gave me an amazing arrangement of – you guessed it; “Amazing Grace” – on Tenor Sax and Trumpet!

A little apprehensive, as the final notes faded I was surprised to hear a resounding “Amen” coming from the congregation!

My take on this – It’s not about you, your instrument, or even (necessarily) the notes you play. If God is in it, it doesn’t matter what others think. It’s about worshiping Him.

I am with you on this one. If your heart was truly about worshiping him with your music, and your church is rejecting it, don’t try to fight it. Consider offering your talents at another church where it can be used by the Lord.

#56 ·
The only funeral I want to hear amazing grace on highland pipes would be my own. Then I wouldn't be able to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.