Sax on the Web Forum banner

Saxophone Playing - How many calories does it consume?

37K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  maxwellabrams 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm following a diet regime with a computer program.
Every exercise you do is supposed to be entered so it will discount the calories consumed.
Unfortunately, it does not consider "Saxophone Playing" as an exercise in its default list, but I can add more exercise types if I want

I usually play 1-2 hours / day and most of the time I build up a good sweat doing it.

How many calories "average" saxophone playing would consume / hour?

Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

Rodrigo

#2 ·
I was just disusing this kind of thing with a group at work the other day.

Generally, a 300 pound man playing speed-metal on a baritone saxophone in 110 degree heat will burn about 3,000 cal. per hour. Of course, a 150 pound man playing a Kenny G tune on soprano while seated in an air-conditioned studio may only burn a few hundred calories per hour. Just like claims for calories burnt while walking, running and making love, the variables are too numerous for anyone of good conscience to be spouting standard calorie per hour rates. Thus, always be highly suspect of anyone making such claims. Either they are being disingenuous, or their science is bad. :(

But what I can tell you is that if you faithfully practice for 1.5 hours everyday, you may not get thinner, but your playing will definitely get better. And this is good science. :bluewink:

#4 ·
Heart rate monitor will not work either. Depending on your level of fitness, heart rate versus calories burned may vary more than several hundred percent among different individuals.

#6 ·
Ummm If you count sitting in a chair playing the sax as exercise good luck with the weight loss.
Maybe if you play while riding an exercise bike....

I ate a slice of pizza with hot peppers on it and I was really sweating a lot plus I chewed maybe 10 bites does this too count as exercise? If so count me in I'm getting on your program.

#15 ·
The iPhone free app "Lose It" lists "woodwind playing" as 90 calories burned per hour.
I would guess that playing the sax burns an additional 50-100 calories per hour
Thanks! This was the kind of answer I was hoping for. I had calculated about 100 cal / hour. This is very similar to what they calculate for a slow pace walk.

I had a ball reading all the answers to this [rolleyes]

Thanks to all!

Rodrigo

#11 ·
Every "calories burned while doing this particular exercise" calculator or app overestimates actual calories burned. Based on my own OCD with calories and exercise the past couple of years I would guess that playing the sax burns an additional 50-100 calories per hour, at most. FWIW, Ive found that the best way for me (and many others I know) to lose fat is to eat your BMR and no more-based on a weekely average. In other words, if you eat a little more than bmr one day, eat a little less the next. Whatever exercise or physical activity you do will be burning fat. If you can eat less than bmr thats fine. All the stuff about meal-timing, metabolism slowing down, or the kind of foods you eat is nonsense. It doesnt matter what you eat or when you eat it, only how many calories you eat. Over time you can get a good idea of what exercise or activity is actually burning. Its hard to build muscle while losing fat but if you lift reguarly you can pretty much prevent muscle loss. Then when you get to your target fat level you will have a good idea of how much you can eat without eating too much. Then if you want to put on a little muscle, up the calories until you begin to see fat coming back. Forget the scales--use a tape measure. Measure the gut at the navel to see if losing or gaining fat. And use weekly averages since water retention is constantly changing. Good Luck.

#18 ·
I think more calories are dispensed when the wife finds out the $19.95 you told her you paid for that mouthpiece really cost $300 (not happened to anyone I know)

#19 ·
I think more calories are dispensed when the wife finds out the $19.95 you told her you paid for that mouthpiece really cost $300 (not happened to anyone I know)
Right! None of us would ever dream of lying about things like that, would we? Best advice is to never mention the price of saxual items to begin with, even if she give you the third degree and grills you over a hot fire. Change the subject to how great she looks in her new (fill in the blank).

#20 ·
I wouldn't factor playing the sax into any type of health or weight control regimen. Because something can be tiring does not mean it is good exercise or burning off a lot of calories. Look at how much of your body is in motion while playing. It isn't much. You probably burn about as many calories brushing your teeth. :brush:

:glasses7:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.