Sax on the Web Forum banner

Your Classic Saxophone set-up :)

152K views 291 replies 176 participants last post by  BrandonQDixon 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello please show your classic saxohpone set-up :)

> Saxophone: Selmer SIII Limited Edition
> Neck: Selmer SIII Limited Edition (sterling silver...)
> Mouthpiece: Selmer Soloist C*
> Ligature: Vandoren Optimum
> Reed: Vandoren V5 (Blue box) 3

#78 ·
Who said the tenor saxophone isn't a classical instrument?

• There are lot's of classical pieces for solo tenor saxophone. I'm thinking of Hard and it's sequel from Lauba, Episode Quatrième of Betsy Jolas, ...
  • In a lot of orchestral excerpts, the tenor saxophone is used (Prokofiev,...)
  • I think the tenor saxophone can sound much more "classical" than the alto saxophone because in symphony orchestras the tenor tends to "merge" into the sound. If you want to reach the same effect on an alto saxophone you have to make a serious effort to succeed.

My classical setup:

Soprano:
Selmer Saxophone Series II
Meyer Mouthpiece
Vandooren Reeds 3.5
Vandooren Optimum Ligature

Alto:
Selmer Saxophone Series III
Selmer C** Mouthpiece
Selmer Solid Silver Neck
Vandooren Reeds 3.5
Vandooren Optimum Ligature

Tenor:
Selmer Saxophone Series III
Selmer D and F soloist Mouthpiece
Vandooren Reeds 2.5
BG Ligature

#82 ·
Steve P said:
Gold Plate :)... And good price. Thank you artist discount!

Steve P
So does this help any? I mean, other than the fact that now you're a saxo-gangsta-wit-style?

Angel -- West-Side yo!

#85 ·
Well, my horn does shine pretty well. It was even more bling-tastic when I was using a sterling silver neck!

I really do the the gold plate makes a big difference (to me). The sound is much richer, and the response is absolutely rediculous.

Dannel, you -are- a gangsta. We all know this. :)

Steve P

#86 ·
Selmer Super80 Action Series 3 Silver Alto
GP serie 3 neck
Selmer s90 170
Pink Gold Harrison ligature
Vandoren 3
A17 on deck

Jazz
ottolink rubber 5
Rico Select 3M

Yamaha 875 EX-S soprano
Selmer Super Session E
Vandoren 2.5

I have to say my setups are bling bling too, especially my alto which is a mix of silver, gold, and pink gold.

#90 ·
Let's see here.....

Alto:
old school YAS-62, that may actually have a soul;)
Selmer S-80 C mouthpiece
Vandoren 3 or 3.5 depending on the alignment of Jupiter and Mars
Vandoren Optimum lig

Tenor:
YTS-23
Selmer C* mp
Rovner dark lig
3.5 Vandoren

Bari:
YBS-52
Selmer C*
Rovner MkIII lig
Vandoren 3.5 or 4

Honestly, I really hate the mouthpieces I am using right now. They sound stuffy and don't fit with my tonal concept (think it may be the square chamber thing). I like my mouthpieces very open too. I've been on the market for new ones. I tried a Vandoren V5 on soprano and liked it, but anyone else have other suggestions(especially for bari since its my main instrument)?

#94 ·
My tenor set-up has changed a bit:

Keilwerth SX-90R (same one I've had since 1991)

Hite Classic 138 mouthpiece (yes, that's right. I found a Hite Classic TENOR piece. It's a little brighter than my old Morgan, but it fits the SX90R perfectly. Tip opening is a .085, and the chamber is larger than the "regular" Hite pieces.)

Only bad thing is that I have to use the Hite ligature now because the piece is too small for my Consoli.

Hemke 3 1/2 reeds.

#96 ·
Alto- Selmer series III, Orginal copper neck
Selmer Long shank soloist C* (refaced)
Vandoren 3
Selmer two screw lig. ( after trying Tons and tons of ligatures...went back to old school)

#98 ·
I use the horns in my signature for the odd legit gig. I mean, VERY odd classical gig.

Last one, I used a Runyon Custom on my Zephyr. That was alot of concentration to keep a clear pure tone. Tenor and Bari? ***eddabodit. I dont have anything to use and come anywhere near a good classical tone.

I have a Vandoren S25 refaced by EZ for soprano work, and it is actually excellent for legit and jazz.

#99 ·
Gold Nickel, it's something that only I'm allowed to have! Lol just kidding, but really if I ever see anyone else out there with one........ well I just won't go there right now ;). Gold Nickel is basically a brushed nickel silver keilwerth with this dark gold lacquer put on it. I really like the response of the brushed nickel silver JKs but for some reason the sound seems a bit dead. So with the addition of the lacquer, it brings back the projection and adds a little brilliance as well.

My alto is a gold nickel JK and I just like it so much that I decided to get my bari the same! I mean that way everything matches right???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.