Sax on the Web Portal - Motivational, Inspiration

• Motivational, Inspiration

by Published on 02-26-2017 09:55 PM     Number of Views: 1523 
    1. Categories:
    2. Motivational, Inspiration
    Article Preview

Improvising on the saxophone has transformed my life forever. It has awakened me to a completely new level of spirituality Ė hard words for me to type, as a rationalist. Improvisation is a religious revelation. It is meditation, red mist and the soul. Playing music without a plan showed me the full dignity of the human consciousness and the hot power of the mind. It made me question everything that had gone before, and opened up unlimited possibilities for everything that lay ahead. It very nearly never happened. I want to share my story, and my elation, about how it did. Somebody showed me how.

When I was about 11, my parents made me start taking lessons once a week for 30 minutes, together with another kid. Our teacher, a clarinet player, would take us through the required pieces for the next grade exam. They were classical: The melodies felt stiff. I thought the saxophone was the stupidest thing on the planet, and I gave up around four years later. I donít think I played the instrument at home even once.
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

adamk

Re: Are Reeds just plain bad?

I'd **** on them anyway.

adamk Today, 05:03 PM Go to last post
    milnak

Re: Best book to learn to improvise while playing

Bergonzi's book is excellent.
    https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Improvisation-Vol-Structures-Instruments/dp/3892210381

Reeve's book is also a must buy....

milnak Today, 04:56 PM Go to last post
    Woody Reed

Re: Saxphone Insurance, Is It Necessary These Days?????

And there in lies the decision that one needs to make. As "they" say, hind site is truly 20/20. If I loose a horn, even 2, it would suck. But I'd be able to over come it the financial aspect. Now if...

Woody Reed Today, 04:39 PM Go to last post
    JL

Re: Are Reeds just plain bad?

+1, so true! This is something we need to keep in mind. However, how that equipment (esp reeds!) responds for you and how it feels/sounds to you when you play can have a big influence on your...

JL Today, 04:36 PM Go to last post
    hornstar

Re: new Yanagisawa B991 low A baritone

Here are clearer pics. Please PM me to purchase. I'm flush with horns, so I'm not looking to trade. 112274112282112290112298112306

hornstar Today, 04:27 PM Go to last post