Sax on the Web Portal - Motivational, Inspiration

• Motivational, Inspiration

by Published on 02-26-2017 09:55 PM     Number of Views: 3622 
    1. Categories:
    2. Motivational, Inspiration
    Article Preview

Improvising on the saxophone has transformed my life forever. It has awakened me to a completely new level of spirituality – hard words for me to type, as a rationalist. Improvisation is a religious revelation. It is meditation, red mist and the soul. Playing music without a plan showed me the full dignity of the human consciousness and the hot power of the mind. It made me question everything that had gone before, and opened up unlimited possibilities for everything that lay ahead. It very nearly never happened. I want to share my story, and my elation, about how it did. Somebody showed me how.

When I was about 11, my parents made me start taking lessons once a week for 30 minutes, together with another kid. Our teacher, a clarinet player, would take us through the required pieces for the next grade exam. They were classical: The melodies felt stiff. I thought the saxophone was the stupidest thing on the planet, and I gave up around four years later. I don’t think I played the instrument at home even once.
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

winesax

My 25 guys - whom to imitate

It is nice to have someone like you that thinks like me. I am a vintage sax man who plays a number... Go to last post

winesax Yesterday 05:21 PM
    winesax

My 25 guys - whom to imitate

I really liked your enlightened message a lot......I don't think about what I am playing after so... Go to last post

winesax Yesterday 05:09 PM
  • Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

patmiller

Re: Protecting horn theft on gigs

Wow! Things must be tough in the US. I'm not saying it doesn't happen here in Australia, but it's rare (except for guitarists I think). In fact in 50+ years of playing in a city of 3-4 million, I...

patmiller Today, 11:24 PM Go to last post
    roddy

Re: Q: How much per hour for lessons?

Dr. Bob,
    Just saw your post. I've been teaching for over 25 years, and even more as a performer, recordings, etc. I'd like to share the following based on my own personal experiences when I was a...

roddy Today, 11:18 PM Go to last post
    saftaffe

Re: What's Your Tenor Setup?

Yamaha YTS 62 (purple logo)
    V1 neck
    Phil Tone Tribute
    Enlightened lig
    Vandoren V16 2,5
    Just joes neck strap

saftaffe Today, 11:11 PM Go to last post
    Sonso

Re: Q: How much per hour for lessons?

Jeff Antoniuk is in Bethesda, and by his video lessons on Youtube, he looks pretty good. I have taken many Skype lessons with top-name players (some are good teachers, some are not), and have paid...

Sonso Today, 11:05 PM Go to last post
    Dr G

Re: New Selmers in stock?

Whew, I didn't realize how high Selmers were nowadays. Wow.

There are a few models in stock at Tenormadness -...

Dr G Today, 10:56 PM Go to last post