Sax on the Web Portal - Motivational, Inspiration

• Motivational, Inspiration

by Published on 02-26-2017 09:55 PM     Number of Views: 3415 
    1. Categories:
    2. Motivational, Inspiration
    Article Preview

Improvising on the saxophone has transformed my life forever. It has awakened me to a completely new level of spirituality – hard words for me to type, as a rationalist. Improvisation is a religious revelation. It is meditation, red mist and the soul. Playing music without a plan showed me the full dignity of the human consciousness and the hot power of the mind. It made me question everything that had gone before, and opened up unlimited possibilities for everything that lay ahead. It very nearly never happened. I want to share my story, and my elation, about how it did. Somebody showed me how.

When I was about 11, my parents made me start taking lessons once a week for 30 minutes, together with another kid. Our teacher, a clarinet player, would take us through the required pieces for the next grade exam. They were classical: The melodies felt stiff. I thought the saxophone was the stupidest thing on the planet, and I gave up around four years later. I don’t think I played the instrument at home even once.
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

kasuri

Guide Book for the Saxophone Teacher

Saxophone is used in classical music. I like this music. Saxophone was created by Adolphe Sax in... Go to last post

kasuri 04-16-2018 08:42 AM
  • Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

mohnjahoney

Importance of thin rails in mouthpieces

Hi all,

I am interested in many aspects of saxophone acoustics.

Here is one aspect that I see mentioned frequently but not discussed: the importance or function of "thin rails" in a saxophone...

mohnjahoney Today, 10:48 PM Go to last post
    littlewailer

Re: Anyone know who "saxman" is?

We have several users using variations of that name.

Including one looking at the thread right now :D

littlewailer Today, 10:45 PM Go to last post
    Instrument Attic

holy saxman, there's more than I thought:

Instrument Attic Today, 10:37 PM Go to last post
    1saxman

Hey, its on my plate too and has been since 1990. We're Sax Men! I use '1 saxman' as if to say 'I'm one sax man', not 'I'm the #1 sax man'. That kind of hyperbole is not me. in fact I was embarrassed...

1saxman Today, 10:32 PM Go to last post
    mrpeebee

Re: TOTM - April 2018 - Friday Night at the Cadillac Club

Sounding good Taragot, nice sound and energetic solo on the alto.

We have a deal!

mrpeebee Today, 10:22 PM Go to last post