Sax on the Web Portal - Motivational, Inspiration

• Motivational, Inspiration

by Published on 02-26-2017 09:55 PM     Number of Views: 1308 
    1. Categories:
    2. Motivational, Inspiration
    Article Preview

Improvising on the saxophone has transformed my life forever. It has awakened me to a completely new level of spirituality – hard words for me to type, as a rationalist. Improvisation is a religious revelation. It is meditation, red mist and the soul. Playing music without a plan showed me the full dignity of the human consciousness and the hot power of the mind. It made me question everything that had gone before, and opened up unlimited possibilities for everything that lay ahead. It very nearly never happened. I want to share my story, and my elation, about how it did. Somebody showed me how.

When I was about 11, my parents made me start taking lessons once a week for 30 minutes, together with another kid. Our teacher, a clarinet player, would take us through the required pieces for the next grade exam. They were classical: The melodies felt stiff. I thought the saxophone was the stupidest thing on the planet, and I gave up around four years later. I don’t think I played the instrument at home even once.
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

Matty Bannond

Improvisation: A union of mind, body and music

Hello again, brother and sister saxophonists!

I posted a new article this week! It's about how... Go to last post

Matty Bannond 05-20-2017 05:29 PM
  • Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

Dark Overlord

Re: Antigua Winds SS4290 vs Yamaha YSS475, first soprano

first off thanks to everyone for helping, greatly appreciated and I am grateful for the continued feedback.

Jazzsax01, yes she is in a performing arts program at our regional high school and...

Dark Overlord Today, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Sigmund451

Re: Mouthpiece Cafe Take 5 Alto mpc Feedback?

If you are chasing the Desmond sound I offer trials on the Solistice.

thanks!

as for some of the other pieces with no recordings...Ive just gotten back in the country. I have things to catch...

Sigmund451 Today, 05:07 PM Go to last post
    ericdano

Re: Million Dollar Idea (this is not an ad)

No, what we need is a fake book of 200+ short Pop and Rock song books. Or horn arrangement book for popular songs.

I've yet to ever play in "pickup band" nor do any of the professionals I know in...

ericdano Today, 05:07 PM Go to last post
    craigmultireedguy

Re: Is flutter-tonguing in the back of your throat just a different term for growling?

I haven't tried it yet, but for some reason that technique seems like it would be excessively clumsy and cumbersome to me.

craigmultireedguy Today, 05:06 PM Go to last post
    Pete Thomas

Re: 1921 True Tone Bari. Does it look like an original gold plate?

I believe the mechanism that closes G# when F# is closed (or F,E,D) is the articulated G# (invented quite a while before the 20s). Without it you cannot easily trill or alternate F# to G# because...

Pete Thomas Today, 05:04 PM Go to last post