Sax on the Web Portal - Matty Bannond

• Matty Bannond

by Published on 02-26-2017 09:55 PM     Number of Views: 3613 
    1. Categories:
    2. Motivational, Inspiration
    Article Preview

Improvising on the saxophone has transformed my life forever. It has awakened me to a completely new level of spirituality – hard words for me to type, as a rationalist. Improvisation is a religious revelation. It is meditation, red mist and the soul. Playing music without a plan showed me the full dignity of the human consciousness and the hot power of the mind. It made me question everything that had gone before, and opened up unlimited possibilities for everything that lay ahead. It very nearly never happened. I want to share my story, and my elation, about how it did. Somebody showed me how.

When I was about 11, my parents made me start taking lessons once a week for 30 minutes, together with another kid. Our teacher, a clarinet player, would take us through the required pieces for the next grade exam. They were classical: The melodies felt stiff. I thought the saxophone was the stupidest thing on the planet, and I gave up around four years later. I don’t think I played the instrument at home even once.
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

Dave Pollack

Re: a different ii V I progression

Some would call this a tritone sub for the V (in your example you're using it as a minor7 chord instead of a dominant7).

It works because of the half-step motion coming down from the ii. Also, if...

Dave Pollack Today, 01:08 PM Go to last post
    Roundmidnite

Re: My composition: jazz or "contemporary classical"? Saxophone/marimba

Thank you for the input and for listening. These genres are so difficult to define- my composition teacher called it an "art song"- but she's a purely classical clarinet player. The assignment was...

Roundmidnite Today, 01:04 PM Go to last post
    KMR

Re: Frozen Shoulder - First Right now Left

sorry to read of your problems.

to encourage you I will mention that i had severe problems with both shoulders, to the extent that i couldnt move my right hand away from my side at all, and my...

KMR Today, 01:02 PM Go to last post
    LostConn

Re: My composition: jazz or "contemporary classical"? Saxophone/marimba

The music has a definite crossover feel, but if I were asked to categorize it with no knowledge of the process of composition, I'd call it "chamber jazz." The reason for that is the sound, rhythms,...

LostConn Today, 12:58 PM Go to last post
    donkeyhunter

Re: Selmer tenor BA, SBA or aftermarket neck wanted

Again, just jumping in to defend against your statement which I cant imagine the source of. I spent a lot of time designing my necks and finding the right people to produce them and have nothing to...

donkeyhunter Today, 12:53 PM Go to last post