Sax on the Web Portal - Neil Sharpe

• Neil Sharpe

by Published on 04-02-2017 04:44 PM     Number of Views: 294 
    1. Categories:
    2. General information

1996!

I remember that date well. It was around that time PDF’s first appeared. I was working on a big project at the time, and to have the ability to send files back and forth without having to use courier or snail mail, seemed truly revolutionary.

Then, came websites.

Did any of us, back then, have any idea of the vast potential of the Internet, of the incredible array of resources, including video and music, we now take for granted.

I say all of this because the growth of SOTW has been truly amazing and wonderful to witness.

I always have viewed it as one of the most, if not the most, successful online communities.

It doesn’t seem that long ago

- an article appeared about a largely unknown French sax “SML”
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/SML/thestory.html

-Pete Hales’ incredible research about sax manufacturers, serial numbers, et al.,
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources...intageSax.html

-John Laughter’s invaluable early research about who did what and when
    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...olos-1955-1998

-pro players and technicians who, right from the beginning, donated their skills, knowledge, and experience to help SOTW members
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Links.html

-the amazing reach of the Forum, where one could discuss and learn about every possible aspect of playing…

to name just a very few of SOTW’s incredible resources. You never knew who would suddenly appear to talk about things like the production of King Curtis’ sound in studio, Stan Getz’s daughter and her memories of her father, what it was like in the studio when a specific album was recorded, what it was like on tour with groups like Blood, Sweat and Tears, and so many, many more.

All of this was made possible and came to life because of you Harri and your great vision.

Decisions like this are always tough, but at the same time, in our hearts we know that someday it will happen. Therefore, when we can do it our own terms, and do it with the immense satisfaction I’m sure that you must feel, we know that we have made the right decision at the right time.

Harri, thanks for everything!!!! SOTW has had an immense impact on my life and for that I shall be ever grateful.

Looking forward to more of the same!

Cheers,
    Neil
    by Published on 11-29-2015 04:30 PM     Number of Views: 9895 
    1. Categories:
    2. Education
    Article Preview

A few years ago, I published a program on SOTW for stage fright and anxiety that has been downloaded nearly 40,000 times.

After publication, over the years, I received many questions about the emotional and psychological aspects of performing, especially why we can't perform consistently well every time, all the time.

The answer is "distractions".

Imagine a circle. When you compete and/or perform at your very best, the circle is 100 percent complete. However, when distractions get in your way (which includes "thinking", nerves, anxiety, and self-doubt), each distraction removes a slice of the circle until you are performing at only a fraction of your potential.

By far, the most serious distraction is that voice in your head that shows up at the worst possible time to comment on how you're doing, to worry about you making mistakes, wonder what people are thinking about you, and so on.

It doesn't have to be that way.

"Pressure Proof- Mental Training For Competition and Performance" is a program that can be accessed for free.
    by Published on 12-28-2012 09:09 PM     Number of Views: 4097 
    1. Categories:
    2. General information

Best wishes for a Happy, Gig-filled, New Year! ...
    by Published on 03-18-2012 05:20 PM     Number of Views: 3831 
    1. Categories:
    2. Music Industry

When rock n' roll was first emerging, the tenor saxophone had the same prominence and effect as the lead guitar would attain in the 1960's and beyond.

Swing blues players like Louis Jordan (a critical inspiration for Sonny Rollins and others) and Jump blues players like Big Jay McNeely, Arnett ...
    by Published on 10-18-2011 11:12 PM     Number of Views: 3150 
    1. Categories:
    2. General information
    Article Preview

Having checked through the threads and archives, I couldn't find this topic, so here goes.

What are the ten albums that made a difference for you as a player?

What where the albums that made you pick ...
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

jthole

Re: Selmer Focus mouthpiece for soprano clarinet - any experiences?

I can give my own opinion now, based on trying two Selmer Focus mouthpieces, with a Vandoren Traditional 3.5 reed. I could not detect any difference between the two, so between them consistency was...

jthole Today, 08:36 PM Go to last post
    perina14

Re: Twenty-Five Great Jazz Soprano Saxophone Performances

I agree with parkerknoll. In the literature I have read, he was looking for an Middle Eastern, oboe - ish sound. Personally, I prefer his soprano solos on Central Park West and particularly on The...

perina14 Today, 08:29 PM Go to last post
    Dr G

Re: Mouthpiece recommendations??

Or buy one like mine - which is NOT for sale. ;)

Of all my sop pieces that have come and gone, the Phil-Tone Sapphire remains. I found the Selmer Super Session J to be quite bright in contrast. ...

Dr G Today, 08:16 PM Go to last post
    Dr G

Re: New sop cases

Whaler: What do you mean by your statement? Is it the user failure issue, or the longevity of the zipper?

Dr G Today, 08:12 PM Go to last post
    Dr G

Re: is Navarro still making mouthpieces?

Did you try contacting him?

Dr G Today, 08:03 PM Go to last post