Sax on the Web Portal - IMPORTANT: Complete and updated marketplace rules 12/14/2015

• IMPORTANT: Complete and updated marketplace rules 12/14/2015

To avoid confusion concerning the marketplace rules, the administrators have collaborated on putting all the rules into one post.

Marketplace Rules

1. Marketplace eligibility

Eligibility for both the for sale and want to buy sections are determined by:

a. If you were a member prior to June 16, 2013, you should have Marketplace Privileges regardless of your post count.
    b. For those members joining aft June 16, 2013, Marketplace Privileges are attributed after six months AND 50 posts relevant to saxophone or some aspect of music making.

2. When posting an item in the marketplace, you MUST provide the following information:

a. Item name make, model (especially specify alto, tenor, etc.)
    b. Asking price. This is not eBay.
    c. Your shipping Location
    d. Description in more details. Condition.
    e. Email Enabled in your profile, or posted in the ad. For safety sake, the former is advised.

3. There is no bumping allowed.

Bumping comes from the term BUMP, which stands for: Bring My Post UP – In other words, bumping is the act of posting frequent updates in one's marketplace ad in order for it to appear on top of the forum page – Not only is this practice unfair, but it’s annoying and it can lead to “Bumping wars” which in turn cause chaos rather than the anticipated benefits.

We (the mod/admin team) tolerate updates when a seller is posting to say that an item is still available.

However:

Posting an update once a week to say that the item is still available is ACCEPTABLE

More frequent updates are UNACCEPTABLE.

4. Items for Trade

• One must still specify a price value for items for trade.
    • Also specify “For Trade” or “FT” in the ad's title. Update November 25, 2013: Choose “For Trade” prefix before posting.

5. Ebay Auctions

Ebay auction may be listed in the marketplace as long as:
    ? “Auction” or “Ebay” is specified in the thread's title
    ? and providing only a link to the auction.

Of course, no bidding allowed in the forum and contact and transaction with the seller via Ebay only.

6. Relisting Items

After 2 months if your item(s) still has not sold you may (besides revising your price, shipping cost, description and other relevant details) ask us the permission to submit a new ad.

To do so, you must:
    • Email or PM your favourite friendly admin (i.e.: red usernames) to specify your intentions to re-submit a marketplace ad.
    • Specify the URL of your old ad, so we may delete it to avoid possible confusions and make place for your new ad.

7. Do not publicly debate the asking price.
    If you have an issue with the list price, take it up with the seller in private.

8. If you're selling more than one item that is of the same type (i.e. multiple mouthpieces or horns), please list them all in one ad.
    If you're selling a large quantity of items (more than 4), it's fine to re-list a new ad after 50% of the items in the previous ad have been sold. Please notify a moderator or administrator when you do this so that we may remove the other listing.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: IMPORTANT: Complete and updated marketplace rules 12/14/2015 started by hakukani View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      gary -
      Thanks for refreshing that. I'm sure you all gave it a lot of thought.
      . . . and probably are not in the mood for revisions, sorry.

But I wish you all would rethink the requirement of giving unlimited access to our email addresses. This is the last bastion of privacy on a forum such as this. I see no reason that, if wished, all negotiations cannot be handled by PM. That's the way I've always handled them, especially in the beginning stages when people are just feeling out the ad, and its worked just fine.

I know this email access has come up before in one way or another and I'm under the impression that many forum members do not want their email addresses universally accessible. Please reconsider.

Thank you.
      saxphil -
      +1 Gary
      Agree totally
      AmandasDad -
      Since there is the option of deleting an 'old ad' when relisting an item, why not delete completed sales?
      This way when a member searches for a specific item they don't have to sift through posts that are no longer 'valid'.
      Seller would have to email a mod stating that BOTH parties are happy with the transaction, or that the item was sold outside these forums.

I would also like to see the ability to at least change the title of the post.
      This way if a change has been made to the price, or other info add, it can be easily be seen by others who have already check the original post and pass by the post there after.
      This might alleviate some of the multiple posts for the same item, and/or new posts after 2 months.
      Allowing the first post to be editable would also allow members to add more items, and be seen at the top.
      This would help with rule #8, as once a thread is posted adding another item further down the replies (and not being able to change the title) almost demands another thread be created, IMO.

What about linking to your CraigsList/FB/other posts?
      Any restrictions on that?

Thanks for the consideration.
      Dr G -
      Quote Originally Posted by AmandasDad View Post
      Since there is the option of deleting an 'old ad' when relisting an item, why not delete completed sales?
      Maintaining completed sales helps others track "market" value.
      AmandasDad -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
      Not if the completed sales are years old.
      unless they are tracking historical trends.

Many just use eBay as a barometer, and price it accordingly (up/same/down).
      thejazzvp -
      Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post

But I wish you all would rethink the requirement of giving unlimited access to our email addresses. This is the last bastion of privacy on a forum such as this. I see no reason that, if wished, all negotiations cannot be handled by PM. That's the way I've always handled them, especially in the beginning stages when people are just feeling out the ad, and its worked just fine.

I know this email access has come up before in one way or another and I'm under the impression that many forum members do not want their email addresses universally accessible. Please reconsider.

Thank you.
      The vbulletin platform isn't safe. It's been shown repeatedly that it's vulnerable to attacks and that vbulletin is slow to implement proper fixes for the security holes in their platform. Add to this the fact it is closed sourced (which means no one can take a look at the code and discover vulnerabilities) and it makes it very unsafe.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really care about privacy, don't use a personal email on forums (fora?) powered by vbulletin, here included.
      djm0226 -
      Thanks for the clarification on this. I wondered if new members wouldn't be permitted to buy horns, but I guess it's just that they can't post a "want to buy" ad.
      hakukani -
      The administrators do archive old ads, just not on a regular basis.

Concerning email addresses, it's pretty easy to set up an address for a specific purpose. Truly, the reason for this thread was to clarify and combine the marketplace rules into one place so that new (and old) members can more easily follow the rules.
      gary -
      Hakukani - I don't want to badger you, really don't, but do we really need to go to the trouble of setting up another email account when we simply can use our Private Messages? What does the email do that PM already doesn't already do and what is the advantage to SOTW? Also, a seller can answer one question for all similar inquiries with one post on the f/s thread vs multiple times via individual emails.

Personally, I've already got three accounts and I don't need yet another one to maintain, having to regularly read through to get rid of spam and other "weeds".

I'm sure there was a reason you folks originally required emails addresses, but I adamantly am against it as being, inconvenient, duplicating, and insecure. Please ask your colleagues to reconsider. Mahalo and thanks for your patience.
      Harri Rautiainen -

But I wish you all would rethink the requirement of giving unlimited access to our email addresses. This is the last bastion of privacy on a forum such as this.

Thank you.
      " Email Enabled in your profile, or posted in the ad. For safety sake, the former is advised."

There is no unlimited access to email addresses. A potential buyer can contact the seller by email without seeing his/her email address. As advised by @hakukani ; above. Only when the seller replies to the email sent, his address will be known by the inquirer and only by him.
      gary -
      Thanks, Harri. On SOTW, how can someone contact somebody else by email if they don't know what their email address is? Sorry, there some things I guess I just don't understand. I'll find a way to make my own work-around, though.
      Pete Thomas -
      Thanks, Harri. On SOTW, how can someone contact somebody else by email if they don't know what their email address is? Sorry, there some things I guess I just don't understand. I'll find a way to make my own work-around, though.
      If you have email enabled, then the receiver gets an email via the forum, the sender doesn't see the email address until replied to.
      gary -
      Thanks, Pete, appreciate it.

(I still don't see how adding this as a requirement in the Market place benefits anyone. To me it just adds one more thing to mess with that's not necessary. Anyway. . . .)
      FremontSax -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
      +1 for Dr G

Facebook comments

• Google ad