Viking
  • Categories Widget (top-down)

• Recent Articles

Matty Bannond-98135

Improvisation: A union of mind, body and music

Improvising on the saxophone has transformed my life forever. It has awakened me to a completely new level of spirituality – hard words for me to type, as a rationalist. Improvisation is a religious revelation. It is meditation, red mist and the soul. Playing music without a plan showed me the full dignity of the human consciousness and the hot power of the mind. It made me question everything that had gone before, and opened up unlimited possibilities for everything that lay ahead. It very nearly never happened. I want to share my story, and my elation, about how it did. Somebody showed me how.

When I was about 11, my parents made me start taking lessons once a week for 30 minutes, together with another kid. Our teacher, a clarinet player, would take us through the required pieces for the next grade exam. They were classical: The melodies felt stiff. I thought the saxophone was the stupidest thing on the planet, and I gave up around four years later. I don’t think I played the instrument at home even once.

Matty Bannond 02-26-2017 10:55 PM Go to last post
  • Recent Activity Widget

10mfan

NEW MPC ANNOUNCEMENT: 10MFAN™ pure hard rubber bar stock/ hand finished tenor mouthpieces

Thread Starter: 10mfan

10MFAN™ SAXOPHONE MOUTHPIECES: WHERE WORLD-CLASS MODERN SAXOPHONE MOUTHPIECES AND AFFORDABILITY MEET FINALLY-----BETTER THAN VINTAGE!!!!!!!

Last Post By: 10mfan 02-27-2017, 03:25 PM Go to last post
    Berko

What's Your Tenor Setup?

Thread Starter: Berko

Post Ur Setup \ My Setup: Tenor Keiwerth EX90 III Mpc : Super Tone master 6 * Lig : Orginal and FL Brass Plated

Last Post By: aamajzoub Today, 07:03 AM Go to last post
    ajcomputers

Whats your Alto Setup?

Thread Starter: ajcomputers

After seeing how popular this thread was in the Tenor section. Why don't we give it a shot here? My alto setup is as follows: Selmer Mark VI Alto Early Babbit Otto Link 6* mouthpiece Francois Louis "Ultimate" ligature and smart cap Runyon Palm Key Risers Vandoren or Rigotti Reeds Oleg...

Last Post By: Atomcore Yesterday, 08:25 PM Go to last post
    soybean

Holton Saxophone; Serial number registry

Thread Starter: soybean

It's been pointed out by a few people here, including Bruce Bailey, that Holton sax serial number lists on the internet are not correct. It sure would be nice to have an accurate list. To help this problem, I'm starting this registry. Everyone please list the number on your horn and specifically...

Last Post By: Secondhandsaxes Today, 06:00 AM Go to last post
    Bill Bryant

Yanagisawa owners club

Thread Starter: Bill Bryant

Welcome to the Yanagisawa owners club. Which Yanagisawa do you own, what mpc and reeds do you use with it, and what kind of playing do you enjoy? T991 tenor Yanagisawa 6 HR mpc or JJ HR* 6* Rico Select Jazz 2M filed demonstrating things in beginner and intermediate band classes, playing along...

Last Post By: JohnnyK88 02-27-2017, 10:01 AM Go to last post
  • Dental trouble kept me mostly off the horn for four months

Let's start with the moral of the story: don't be a dumbass and think you'll hold up forever if you neglect your health. My neglect of a couple lost fillings and unwillingness to pay for care meant I needed to get a couple root canals for several years, but I put the procedure off much longer than I should have. My wisdom teeth were also deteriorating and no dentist was willing to fill the cavities, saying they'd just come back because they're almost impossible to keep clean. By August of 2014, I was playing the best I ever had, spending 5 hours a day practicing, plus doing gigs, teaching and taking lessons with one of the greatest players/teachers in the world.

On August 7th, I had to stop practicing, because keeping air pressure in my mouth for more than two days at a time would cause my abscessed teeth to flare up excrutiatingly. I worried about causing further damage, but also worried I'd be in so much pain that I'd have to miss a gig or worse yet, screw up on one. Since gigging and teaching privately are my only income, I cut my playing down to ONLY the two gigs I'd do on weekends.

At this time, I began making appointments, getting taken for a ride by a dental office who lied and did nothing, waiting over a month for another appointment with an oral surgeon only to find he'd quit working for the office the weekend before the procedure, etc. By late December, I'd gotten all the major work done, and after healing up from the extractions, I was able to start practicing again in January.

At first, tone and stamina were the biggest issues. I couldn't play more than 40 minutes without tiring out and playing horribly. Over the 7 weeks or so, I've worked up to about 3.5 hours a day, and I've kind of hit a wall. I seem to tire out pretty bad after that unless I'm taking frequent breaks, in which case I really need to be home all day to dedicate the time to shedding, in which case I can usually tack on an extra hour.

At this point, my sound is back, although I have good days and bad. Sometimes everything sounds and feels perfect, but sometimes I find myself biting a lot, tiring quickly, playing with poor sound. I've also gotten my finger technique about as good as it was, I think, doing focused finger drills daily. Articulation is coming along, able to tongue 16ths at 130 for a little while before tiring and slowing down. Scales are coming together... most days I can play majors and minors cleanly in 16ths and triplets at 160 or 180, though I still have bad days there, too, which is extremely annoying.

The slowest things to come back right now, and it may be because I've been focused on pure saxophone skills, have been sight reading and improvisation. I just have to work on reading more, and that's ok. Improv is a bit stranger... I have good ideas, but sometimes I can't execute them. I have a hard time connecting lines like I used to, as well, particularly at up tempos. It's strange because I know the finger technique is there... I do drills every day that should have me sitting pretty at very high tempos. The ideas are just not as clearly formed in my head, though. Playing tastefully on rock, blues or pop stuff is not a problem, but typical jazz nazi cutting session stuff is kicking my ***.

It has been getting better with time, but if anyone has drills or methods to hurry any of the various processes along, let's hear em!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Story time: Dental trouble kept me mostly off the horn for 4 months... I'm on the road back! started by DanPerezSax View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
      jd -
      oh thats terrible.I went through this in 2013 and it was horrible. got wisdom teeth pulled and had bridges installed and went through 4 severe infections.had to get subs for some jobs and the pain prevented me from playing for a couple of months .I feel for you but you will be at the top of your game again soon!
      jazzbluescat -
      Quote Originally Posted by DanPerezSax View Post
      Let's start with the moral of the story: don't be a dumbass and think you'll hold up forever if you neglect your health. My neglect of a couple lost fillings and unwillingness to pay for care meant I needed to get a couple root canals for several years, but I put the procedure off much longer than I should have. My wisdom teeth were also deteriorating and no dentist was willing to fill the cavities, saying they'd just come back because they're almost impossible to keep clean. By August of 2014, I was playing the best I ever had, spending 5 hours a day practicing, plus doing gigs, teaching and taking lessons with one of the greatest players/teachers in the world.

On August 7th, I had to stop practicing, because keeping air pressure in my mouth for more than two days at a time would cause my abscessed teeth to flare up excrutiatingly. I worried about causing further damage, but also worried I'd be in so much pain that I'd have to miss a gig or worse yet, screw up on one. Since gigging and teaching privately are my only income, I cut my playing down to ONLY the two gigs I'd do on weekends.

At this time, I began making appointments, getting taken for a ride by a dental office who lied and did nothing, waiting over a month for another appointment with an oral surgeon only to find he'd quit working for the office the weekend before the procedure, etc. By late December, I'd gotten all the major work done, and after healing up from the extractions, I was able to start practicing again in January.

At first, tone and stamina were the biggest issues. I couldn't play more than 40 minutes without tiring out and playing horribly. Over the 7 weeks or so, I've worked up to about 3.5 hours a day, and I've kind of hit a wall. I seem to tire out pretty bad after that unless I'm taking frequent breaks, in which case I really need to be home all day to dedicate the time to shedding, in which case I can usually tack on an extra hour.

At this point, my sound is back, although I have good days and bad. Sometimes everything sounds and feels perfect, but sometimes I find myself biting a lot, tiring quickly, playing with poor sound. I've also gotten my finger technique about as good as it was, I think, doing focused finger drills daily. Articulation is coming along, able to tongue 16ths at 130 for a little while before tiring and slowing down. Scales are coming together... most days I can play majors and minors cleanly in 16ths and triplets at 160 or 180, though I still have bad days there, too, which is extremely annoying.

The slowest things to come back right now, and it may be because I've been focused on pure saxophone skills, have been sight reading and improvisation. I just have to work on reading more, and that's ok. Improv is a bit stranger... I have good ideas, but sometimes I can't execute them. I have a hard time connecting lines like I used to, as well, particularly at up tempos. It's strange because I know the finger technique is there... I do drills every day that should have me sitting pretty at very high tempos. The ideas are just not as clearly formed in my head, though. Playing tastefully on rock, blues or pop stuff is not a problem, but typical jazz nazi cutting session stuff is kicking my ***.

It has been getting better with time, but if anyone has drills or methods to hurry any of the various processes along, let's hear em!
      I'd say that after a long absence from playing you're just looking at yourself through a microscope, that the issues are normal, and have always been there to one degree or another. And sticking with it will only make you stronger.
      DanPerezSax -
      You may be right, jazzbluescat. Thanks for the support, guys!
      A Greene -
      Hang in there. It's just a matter of time and all will be back to normal.
      Hot and Heavy -
      Ignore your teeth and they just go away.

You'll be back; probably even stronger than before since you're listening to your playing with fresh ears.
      DanPerezSax -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hot and Heavy View Post
      Ignore your teeth and they just go away.
      Haha I thought if I ignored the PROBLEM it would go away! No such luck! Thanks, guys.
      jddartdds -
      "Ignore your teeth and they just go away."

Ah, nope. Not going to happen. Dental maintenance, just like for your auto/appliance/house or sax is relatively quick, inexpensive and painless. Dental rehabilitation, on the other hand, is grossly time-consuming and expensive. And, sometimes uncomfortable.

I hate to hear stories like this where an uncaring dental office contributes to the lack of care. Fortunately, there are excellent dentists everywhere in the US and stick with the 'word of mouth' recommendations while avoiding coupons, "teeth in a day" ads and "super-savers" marketing tactics.

Just my take after 39 years of private practice. Take care Dan, sounds like the worst is behind you.

David
      DanPerezSax -
      Let's hope! One thing is for sure, I am SUPER careful about taking care of dental hygiene.

Facebook comments

VigLink badge